Lets discuss Helmets !

J_Copeland

I'm in the market for a new helmet.

I really like the Bell RS-1 but the price of the HJC's are almost to good to pass up.

Did you look into our RidersDiscount board sponsor, Nathan? I got a good deal on a new RS-1 with him... I love the RS-1, best fitting, most comfortable helmet I've ever owned, or tried on. I personally think the RS-1 is worth it over an HJC... I also got an HJC CL-16 at the same time as a backup/passenger helmet. It's good, but definitely not as good as the RS-1, and not a ton cheaper than you can get through Nathan.

Did you look into our RidersDiscount board sponsor, Nathan? I got a good deal on a new RS-1 with him... I love the RS-1, best fitting, most comfortable helmet I've ever owned, or tried on. I personally think the RS-1 is worth it over an HJC... I also got an HJC CL-16 at the same time as a backup/passenger helmet. It's good, but definitely not as good as the RS-1, and not a ton cheaper than you can get through Nathan.

RS-1 is bad ass and fits amazingly well. So well, Bell changed the shell and interior design on the Star for 2013 and incorporates the fit and feel of the RS-1.

I got two new ones a comin!!

Shoei head = Shoei helmet.

Go with fit first, price second.

--------------

I'm also a big faf of Shoei... Currently I'm on my seconx # 1100..

The first one did its job of protecting me at highway speed a year ago.

Its full face, excellent noise reduction,

cut outs to place comm gear & 30% larger viewing area too!

My bell vortex came while I was at work today, can't wait to get home and check it out. It also has cutouts for speakers/comms and bell makes a transitions visor that tints in the sun. $120 for the visor....my glasses are already transition lenses so not sure if ill go that route but its a cool option.

My bell vortex came while I was at work today, can't wait to get home and check it out. It also has cutouts for speakers/comms and bell makes a transitions visor that tints in the sun. $120 for the visor....my glasses are already transition lenses so not sure if ill go that route but its a cool option.

The vortex is nice but kind of loud. I'm assuming the cutouts for the speakers create a pocket for wind noise but there is a way to quiet it down, I'll have to find the link again to try on mine.

What type of head do you have, i.e. Shoei or Arai? Just looking for a point of reference.

damn you guys, trying on a Bell RS-1 is the one thing I forgot to do at Iron Pony last weekend! Bought the gf a Bell (i think Vortex) and I kind of liked it especially at $99 on sale. I'm currently a Shoei man and love mine rf-1000 but due for an upgrade soon. Love everything about the Shoei except due to where the wind hits me off the windscreen of the VFR its pretty loud

My $.02..went from Shoei to Scorpion to Arai in the last 5 yrs. Was a long time Shoei guy, but got a deal on a Scorp and it fit well, but the face shield mechanism workmanship left a lot to be desired. Love my Arai, but am looking to replace it with the RS-1 after a conversation with Nathan. Shoeis seem to be a little heaftier than the Arai and Bell, but quieter than the Arai for sure. Then again, at the track with ear plugs in, that's kind of irrelevant.

damn you guys, trying on a Bell RS-1 is the one thing I forgot to do at Iron Pony last weekend! Bought the gf a Bell (i think Vortex) and I kind of liked it especially at $99 on sale. I'm currently a Shoei man and love mine rf-1000 but due for an upgrade soon. Love everything about the Shoei except due to where the wind hits me off the windscreen of the VFR its pretty loud

I was at IP last Saturday afternoon looking at helmets for 2 hours!

I should also mention that my new lid must be Snell approved.

I checked out the KBC Laguna helmet,it looks amazing,but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Snell approved.

My $.02..went from Shoei to Scorpion to Arai in the last 5 yrs. Was a long time Shoei guy, but got a deal on a Scorp and it fit well, but the face shield mechanism workmanship left a lot to be desired. Love my Arai, but am looking to replace it with the RS-1 after a conversation with Nathan. Shoeis seem to be a little heaftier than the Arai and Bell, but quieter than the Arai for sure. Then again, at the track with ear plugs in, that's kind of irrelevant.

I agree that with earplugs at the track,wind noise doesn't matter !