Lets discuss Helmets !

J_Copeland

I was at IP last Saturday afternoon looking at helmets for 2 hours!

I should also mention that my new lid must be Snell approved.

I checked out the KBC Laguna helmet,it looks amazing,but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Snell approved.

We were there Sunday for the same reason. I was more focused on getting her gear situation furthered because I knew it would be cheaper than if I were to start looking for shit for me :D. My new gear fund got zapped for the "gotta pay pauly to upgrade the suspension fund"

Why does it have to be SNELL? There are a ton of BSI ECE rated euro lids that trump SNELL lids. Just something to keep in mind as if for racing, the ECE BSI will meet requirements and are accepted by about every org I know...

Good info,I had no clue about the BSI ECR rating!

I haven't looked at the MotoSeries rulebook lately,but I remember it saying it had to meet Snell 2005 specification,not sure if it states any other ratings.

We have some great deals going on in helmets. The Corsair V is a different shape than most of the other helmets mentioned here, if you've tried it on and are comfortable with it then that is a good start. But if you haven't tried one on yet, I would recommend finding a place to make sure it fits you first.

MS accepts Snell, BS, and ECE rated helmets.

Arai crash tested and saved my life.

The more vents the louder your helmet will be. I always wore earplugs street or track. Wind noise can get up to over 100dB's even with a helmet on.

Arai has a great warranty and replaced everything that ever broke on my helmets.

Arai seem to have helmets that fit my head the best. Go for best fit for your head regardless of brand. Wear ear plugs for all riding, not just at the track. No helmet is quiet enough to prevent hearing loss over time. Wind noise is high frequency, thus deceptive & damaging. Sermon complete.

The vortex is nice but kind of loud. I'm assuming the cutouts for the speakers create a pocket for wind noise but there is a way to quiet it down, I'll have to find the link again to try on mine.

Idk how loud it is, have to either wait till it warms up or have the ole lady run me down the freeway with my head out the sun roof.

It doesnt have to be Snell approved, just DOT or SNELL 05. And if racing must be built in last 5 years.

Im a Scorpion guy, have been since day 1. they fit a tad snug as mentioned, I'm a medium in the Bell I had, but a large in Scorpion. I did a back of the head smack last year in the 1100 I had and didnt concuss, so I was happy with it.

Good info,I had no clue about the BSI ECR rating!

I haven't looked at the MotoSeries rulebook lately,but I remember it saying it had to meet Snell 2005 specification,not sure if it states any other ratings.

He accepts the euro stuff too, it's just not spelled out in the rules.

I'm on my second bell vortex after smacking the pavement on the unmentionable weekend with madcat.

As to the comment at using their sizing chart, thats what I was referring to. I used it, got a size up because most people said to, and it was still a little tight. Hence my comment. But thanks for thinking I'm an idiot.

As to the comment about suffering a concussion in a Scorpion, I would think that would be better than brain damage. Not sure why you would stop using a brand that probably saved your life.

As to the comment at using their sizing chart, thats what I was referring to. I used it, got a size up because most people said to, and it was still a little tight. Hence my comment. But thanks for thinking I'm an idiot.

As to the comment about suffering a concussion in a Scorpion, I would think that would be better than brain damage. Not sure why you would stop using a brand that probably saved your life.

I assume everyone on the internet is an idiot and a chronically masturbating geriatric transvestite until proven otherwise.

Their sizing chart obviously needs revised.

Will try and road test the lid this weekend, will also try to film it.

People seem to either swear by scorpion or hate them. 2talltim didn't even bother taking his off for the 20 or so minutes we stood and bullshitted on a blazing hot august day, said they vent that well.

• Upvote 1

A buddy of mine publishes a bike rag and asked me to do a helmet review for him. The helmet was a Bell Star Carbon. Long story short I really liked the helmet and still use it today because my Arai is too old to pass tech for the track, but fit and finish go to the Arai's and Shoei's. don't get me wrong, I love the Bell Star Carbon, but if I was buying a new helmet, it would probably be one of the other brands. Mostly because I don't plan on crashing, so comfortable fit and finish are what matters most. As far as crash protection, I don't think you live through an Arai crash and die from a Bell crash. So for me, that's a push. It all comes down to what is the best helmet for every day. And my Arai was so comfy, I hardly knew I had it on for long rides. YMMV.

People seem to either swear by scorpion or hate them. 2talltim didn't even bother taking his off for the 20 or so minutes we stood and bullshitted on a blazing hot august day, said they vent that well.

I have to admit that going someplace and trying them on is the best way to determine what fits your noggin best. There are many different makes and shapes of helmets and not everyone has the same fit or shape. Pick one that best suites your needs.

I chose the Scorpion 1100 and love it. It does vent well and is very comfortable. Seems to fit my shape of head the best. I have a medium head but ended up in a large for sizing. They have since come out with another model. I have not seen it in person.

Sport bike Track Gear does a lot of ratings with videos on all these and may be helpful when looking for new features, etc.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=SCORPION+Helmets+from+Sportbiketrackgear.com

Not trying to sell one brand. They rate others too. Hope this is helpful.

Cut the tag off my vortex and mailed in the waranty card today, fit is great, the venting is so good I can feel the air rushing in when I inhale deeply. Didn't do the sunroof test but I did have my neighbor hit me with compressed air and its a quiet lid. I'm happy with my purchase. Hopefully I won't have to buy another one for 5 years.

Side note: ordered a Joe rocket atomic 4.0 jacket today, got it on clearance for $127. The reviews were great, has all the features I'm looking for and according to their chart and my tape measure the sizing is right on. Anyone have any experience with this jacket?

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/home

Thanks for starting this thread Jeff. It got me thinking that its prolly time for a new brain bucket. Boy that one is pretty,that one matches my bike,500 bucks-it must be a good one,its on sale,limited edition signed,on and on. I'm guilty of that kind of thinking too. So I went searching. This site has a wealth of good info.Granted not every mush melon bowl is listed but at least the ones listed are tested for how well they work. Think of a Shuberth and you think good stuff or an Arai RX-7 GP expensive top shelf gear. While they did test good a Lazer model that was over 8 times cheaper than the Arai tested better for overall protection. One thing for sure-no matter which one we choose or how much we spend-I hope none of us really need to test it.

• Upvote 1

Love my RS-1. Transitions shield initially drew me to them. The fit is perfect for my head and the liner is borderline luxurious. Good ventilation and noise suppression and pretty lightweight. Little details like the strap keeper and shield lock function great too. Plus you get $600.00 helmet quality for $350-400.