State Farm for the win!

twowheelsnake

Went to see my State Farm Insurance agent on Monday for a review of my policies. Found out the they will cover your street legal bikes for track days. You just can't make a racing habit of it. But if you want to hit a couple track days this season on your street bike, it's covered.

That's what I hear for cars too. Now that Geico has changed my policy to exclude track days, I think I need to switch to State Farm before spring.

Yeah, I just called Geico to confirm the exclusion. Sure enough, if my motorcycle touches track surface, regardless of circumstance and a loss occurs, I'm not covered. Then called Progressive - "as long as the motorcycle is not in a timed race event, or it's principal use is not racing, you're covered".

I guess Progressive is getting my business later today. Good job progressive.

Comprehensive covers fire and theft... You don't even need to have the bike registered for that kind of coverage.. As long as it's got a clean title you can get it... My mustang sat for a year with no tags or plates but I had comp on it for fire and theft

Edit to clarify - by clean title I just mean it's not salvage title.. Even a rebuilt title is fine with most companies

State Farm does not cover gear. ( pants and jacket ) they do cover your helmet. I found that out the hard way after having all my gear cut off after my crash last summer. I tried real hard to get them to cover it but they would not. Other then that real happy with state farm and the way they handled getting my bike fixed.

Edited by alansz400

I talked with my SF agent after I bought my trackbike,

As long as your NOT racing,your covered.

I'd still like to know how ppl are getting fire and theft on there track bike !

They never asked what mine was being used for, I just call and asked to put fire and theft on it.

Went to see my State Farm Insurance agent on Monday for a review of my policies. Found out the they will cover your street legal bikes for track days. You just can't make a racing habit of it. But if you want to hit a couple track days this season on your street bike, it's covered.

HUH?????????

I have had SF for years. That was there policy but I was informed a 2 years ago they dropped that stance on both cars and bikes. Agent even called Bloomington to verify.

Who is your agent and I am going to call mine again.

Yep, as long as it's not in competition. I got it verified in 2006 before I went to mid Ohio that year. If I made a hobby of track I'd just buy a cheap track bike.

Yes, that was there policy up until about 2010. I know as I had my 2008 Hyper on the track around that time. Also, I verified and took the Mini Cooper to Putnam. A friend went with me and bought a Genesis Coupe to play. Next year, SF dropped that policy. Neither of us have been back to the track. That change was one of the things that prompted me to get a dedicated track bike..

Ok, now you all got me going. I would love to get the Cooper back out on the track if it applies to cars as well.

All of the companies used to cover it. Their exclusions were for competitive or timed events. Most companies lately have been adding verbage like "on any surface used for racing."

I made sure Geico had me covered last year by painfully obtaining a full copy of my current policy. Over the winter I got a policy update that changed it. You know, those things they send every few months that you never actually read.

I'll find out in the next month or two the details of State Farm's exclusions. Worst case there is per-event and per-year HPDE insurance available, but I don't really want to pay twice when I'm just out there dicking around in my street car once in awhile. My insurance company should be happy I get out there once in awhile to exorcise some demons.

P.S. I've never had collision coverage on a motorcycle. All my bikes were of a low enough value that I could stomach a total loss in the event of the worst. I made an insurance claim once. Won't do it again unless it's worth at least 5 digits.

Edited by brn6604

HUH?????????

I have had SF for years. That was there policy but I was informed a 2 years ago they dropped that stance on both cars and bikes. Agent even called Bloomington to verify.

Who is your agent and I am going to call mine again.

My agent is Brian Young in Vandalia. I JUST asked on Monday because I was curious about it. He is a biker so I thought he would know :) And no, he doesn't ride pig iron

This is all GREAT news for people on the fence on going to the track on their street bike. Finally we get what we pay for from an insurance company or companies! great thread!

Totally agree! I've always wanted to give it a shot but have been very hesitant to crack up my only bike during a track day. I'm not like some of you guys that have 4 bikes in the stable :)

• 2 weeks later...
State Farm does not cover gear. ( pants and jacket ) they do cover your helmet. I found that out the hard way after having all my gear cut off after my crash last summer. I tried real hard to get them to cover it but they would not. Other then that real happy with state farm and the way they handled getting my bike fixed.

Ditto this ^^^