Sportbike suggestions needed for 5 foot 100 pound female

JohnG

A friend of mine, currently riding a Honda V65, recently mentioned to me that she is considering a new(er) bike. I asked if she was going to spend the money for a Harley and she said, "nah. sportbikes corner better." Lol. She apparently likes my VFR, having made a couple trips on the back with me.

So she's never been one to post stuff on line, more of a lurker like me, but she checks around on C-list and what not. That's how she found the v65.

Not being an expert myself, I really didn't know what would be the best combo for her. You know, fit versus power in a ladies size bike. She's less than 100 pounds but very fit (used to be a trainer at a Curves) and only 5 foot tall but has a longer inseam for her height than most. And she's an accomplished rider, but mostly with cruisers and dirt bikes.

No, I'm not going to post up any pics... :rolleyes:

I know there's a wealth of experience here on OR and I value the information that I've received any time I've asked. So, seriously, what would you recommend? She may read along and I'll definitely relay any information if she doesn't.

Coming from a V65, it's obvious she's not intimidated by HP or weight, but simply needs something that isn't too tall in the saddle. I'd say start her off looking at any of the 600s--CBR-RR, R6, Gixxer, new Kaw 636 (Mmmmm!!!)--and see how she fits. If she doesn't have a problem with those and still wants more HP, try the liter options. Worse case, she can always install lowering links; she'll still have way more cornering potential than the Magna she's riding now.

FYI--She sounds like a keeper. If ya ever wanna turn her loose....???

If she is an accomplished rider, she'll be comfortable on most bikes. I'm 5 ft 2 and the height thing doesn't bother me anymore. And, as someone mentioned, you can always change out the dogbones to lower it a bit if needed. Some of the older 600s were lower than the newer ones (i.e. Honda 600 f3, Kawasaki 600 "e" i think it was).

She might get bored quickly with the 250/300 Ninja's. Good luck.

Mary

I would say VFR unless she is after a more aggressive riding position. I have spent several 500-600 mile days in the saddle of mine and it is a nice blend of sport and tour. Can't get enough of the power behind my 1000RR though. :)

I absolutely wholeheartedly disagree a 5ft 100lb girl should be pointed to a VFR. I'm 5-10" and its about the max seat height I would be totally comfortable with not to mention these things aren't exactly light in comparison to some others listed

A friend of mine, currently riding a Honda V65...

C'mon guys. She's currently riding a 120 HP old school bike that weighs 520 lbs with a seat height of 30"! I don't think she's gonna be intimidated by a modern sub-450 lb sport bike. Seat height is the issue here, and that's why they sell lowering links.

Even lowering a sport bike 1-2", she's gonna still have way more clearance for aggressive riding than she's got on the Magna. And when she gets more familiar with her new bike, it's completely reversible for zero dollars!!! Win-win.

[OfcourseIsecretlythinksheshouldstayinthekitchenandmakemeasammich]

Figure out her inseam, overall height isn't that helpful in this case. Bikes that I know are good for short people include (as previously mentioned by IP):

• Kawasaki Ninja 250R/500R (EX250/EX500)
  • Suzuki GS500
  • Ducati Monster 620/695/696

Then you can shave the seat and put a lower dog bone in it if she is still having problems. The plight of the short person is not lost in sportbikes, you just might have to search a little more. Depending where she lives, she is welcome to sit on my monster 695 and either cross it off the list or consider it.

Edit: IP has this on lock, inseam is what is important. From there we can figure out seat height (the multi is 33" btw):

My wife is 4'10".. and she had me raise the rear of her Ninja250. She currently rides a Monster620 and has put 30k miles on it with the factory ride height.

My inseam is 28". I have to tip-toe my Multistrada. Lowering isn't necessary' date=' especially if she's already a rider and used to a heavy bike.[/quote']

Edited by imprez55

This is the focal point of my opinion. She's not a newb. She's not a midget. She's not a little girl. She can probably ride any bike she wants' date=' honestly. Inseam is a big factor for ride height. Almost as important as confidence and ambition. Almost.[/quote']

if this 5'5" manlet can ride this r1200GS she should be fine riding whatever she wants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic

• Upvote 2

My wife is 4'10".. and she had me raise the rear of her Ninja250. She currently rides a Monster620 and has put 30k miles on it with the factory ride height.

My inseam is 28". I have to tip-toe my Multistrada. Lowering isn't necessary' date=' especially if she's already a rider and used to a heavy bike.[/quote']

I agree with you but the rider has to come to that comfort level on their own. It took me two bikes before the height issue didn't bother me anymore. But it's always nice to have the option to lower if needed.

I think she'll be perfectly fine on just about any bike out there because she's not a newb but then again, I don't know her.

Started eating some damn cheeseburgers and put back on that 20lbs. and you wouldn't have to tip-toe that thing you call a bike.

:D

The new Honda 500 bikes were made short.

Honda CBR500R 30.9 inch seat

Honda CB500F 30.9 inch seat

even shorter:

2006 BMW F650S 30.7

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R 30.5

2006 Buell Lightning and Firebolt 30.5

2006 Buell Lightning XB12S 30.1

2006 Honda Nighthawk 29.3

2006 Buell Lightning XB12Scg 28.6