GSXR Stigma

abdecal

As some know, I'm looking for a 600 sport bike and as I was looking at the different brands of bikes I decided to get some insurance quotes for a 600. Just to see the difference in the 250.

I called my insurance agent and he was asking me about the bike in particular I was looking at. I told him to go ahead and quote me on a GSXR 600 and CBR 600 because those are the two I was most interested in. Told him to quote both as a 2009.

GSXR600 = $600 a year with collision

CBR600 = $400 a year with collision

I asked him why the difference. He says GSXR riders have a "reputation"

Now I've seen it multiple times that gixxer riders are considered squids. But now if I want to buy that bike it costs me an extra $200 a year?

Someone please explain this to me... How did this reputation come about? Is there some kind of GSXR history I am unaware of? Is it the most popular stunting bike and people buy it and wreck it more often?

But all of the cool kids ride them.

You've seen what happens to a gixxer when someone gets on it that's not cool.

:lol:

I guess I never really thought about the "cool" factor between the 600's.

To me they look the same. I sat on the different 600's just to get a feel and the GSXR and CBR just seemed more comfortable with my riding position. The R6 made me feel like I was sitting on the tank lol

My 250 struggled with highway speeds and there were a few instances where I almost got squashed because they didn't see me and it didn't have the power to out accelerate their mistake and I had to brake hard and hope the person behind me was paying attention.

I just want a nice, completely stock, 600cc bike and not pay more for it because of what model it is.

Anyways... now I feel it may turn into me ranting. I don't like insurance companies lol

Insurance rates are based on statistics that the company collects.

Apparently, atleast with that company, GSXR owners are more likely to cost the insurance company money.

So it would appear that the general reputation of the riders of GSXR has some basis in fact :D

Not sure what your rate is for the 250 but those rates are much higher than I pay for my 650.

Craig

I guess I never really thought about the "cool" factor between the 600's.

To me they look the same. I sat on the different 600's just to get a feel and the GSXR and CBR just seemed more comfortable with my riding position. The R6 made me feel like I was sitting on the tank lol

My 250 struggled with highway speeds and there were a few instances where I almost got squashed because they didn't see me and it didn't have the power to out accelerate their mistake and I had to brake hard and hope the person behind me was paying attention.

I just want a nice, completely stock, 600cc bike and not pay more for it because of what model it is.

Anyways... now I feel it may turn into me ranting. I don't like insurance companies lol

Also consider the less extreme sporty bikes like Ninja 650r, FZ6R and SV650. These are usually quite a bit cheaper to buy and even more so to insure. They are still several times more powerful than the 250 and are probably more comfortable than the 600s.

I started on a Ninja 250 and now ride a Vstrom 650 (same engine as SV650). Ive never felt Ive lacked power on the Vstrom. Sure a 600 is much faster but the power to weight of even a 650 far exceeds most cars.

Craig

Our is $283 a year for collision+comp for 2 riders and and 2 bikes. But we are old, married, kids, clean records and ride slow(er) bikes. 06 Vstrom 1K and 07 Vstar 1100.

edit: i forgot my quad is also on that policy just comp on it but its a 04 Z400 so 2 bikes 1 quad with 2 riders

Edited by 2talltim

You forgot zero accidents and military discount lol

I hate u:nono: :)

I pay 85 a month on mine :( the new zx6r is over 3000 a year and nationwide quoted me 10000 hahaha i think not ill keep my 650 for another season

Edited by Dying Shadow

Someone please explain this to me... How did this reputation come about? Is there some kind of GSXR history I am unaware of? Is it the most popular stunting bike and people buy it and wreck it more often?

Meh... they were the "blingiest" bikes for awhile - I'm picturing a yellow one with chrome decals that may or may not be a figment of my imagination. Between that and the way "gixxer" rolls off the tongue and pretty much became a generic descriptor for sportbikes attracts a certain element. My guess anyway.

I love my gix... Leave my squidness alone. Cut offs and flip flops are the way to go! I pay 630 a year for full but I have a DUI that is going to drop off in March (THANKS GOD). During the winter, GEICO drops my policy down to 25.00 a month.

I love my gix... Leave my squidness alone. Cut offs and flip flops are the way to go! I pay 630 a year for full but I have a DUI that is going to drop off in March (THANKS GOD). During the winter, GEICO drops my policy down to 25.00 a month.

Your winter payment is my normal payment on my K5Squidbike750 through GIECO. I pay nine months out of the year @$25 and still have full year coverage. At $225 a yr. for full converage and $1000 ded. I just got my policy renewal in the mail and the premiums had went down. For some reason though the 2nd bike i dropped off the policy is now back on it. I dont even own it any more. I guess i will have them credit me the years premium for that bike. A whopping $14.

What i dont understand is that i told them i will be the only operator on my bike but my wifes name is still on it. I would assume that they would cover any passenger not just the wifie.

Back on topic: Forget the stigma and just dont ride it like an asshat. Good on you for looking at the total cost of owning it. Before i even thought about buying mine i looked into insurance. No sense buying a bike you cant afford or justify the cost to insure.

This squid bullshit is stupid. The real reason for the higher rates is due to the fact that there are more GSXRs on the road than CBRs. Simple as that. Squid factor? Again, more riders on one model and brand and you are going to have a higher % of assholes riding them thus, more exposure.

Trust me when I say I have seen plenty of asshat squids on numerous other brands. And as for all the squids only riding GSXRs, I plastered enough racers with my GSXRs to let everyone know that squids can be fast also...

Point is there are squids on everything. Even scooters.