Corrective Lenses At The Track

wantahertzdonut

Forget safety issues. If you just got glasses and can "still see fine for the most part," your prescription is probably so light you will have no problems with glasses under your helmet. You would probably also have no problems with contact lenses except under extreme circumstances.

As someone who wore glasses since second grade, had a contact prescription of -7.75 before lasik, and wore both through many different helmeted and non-helmeted activities, successfully and unsuccessfully, if you still have concerns or questions give me a call.

It is a light prescription. I apparently have astigmatism which is why things are fouled up, otherwise I'd be fine. I have to have at least a year of the same prescription before they'll let me get lasik. I forgot you had that done.

I have always worn glasses to the track and it has never been an issue. Remember to always were your glasses when choosing a new helmet. I have found some brands that I cannot were because of clearance through the temples as suggested below.

You just have to careful pressing them into place along sides of the helmet's padding and adjust them for your nose fitment which only takes seconds to do it right.

When I first got my glasses, I was concerned about being able to get them on while wearing my helmet, but with a little maneuvering they go on without too much trouble. I don't have much trouble with fogging or glare or anything else and they stay put on my face. I don't notice the reduction in peripheral vision (there is some) because I don't rely on it to keep my blind spot clear - I ALWAYS turn my head and look. And I use cheap, clip on sunglasses when I need them. No problems.

Good luck with the changes!

I've seen a couple people get the bridge/root of their nose cut up during a crash when wearing glasses under a helmet.

For sure. Might even get your eyebrow and cheekbone areas too. Nothing I would consider a major concern. I think some people are worried about the actual lenses shattering, from when glasses were made of glass like in days of yore...

I've seen a couple people get the bridge/root of their nose cut up during a crash when wearing glasses under a helmet.

I haven't heard that, only people getting their eyes poked by the sides of the glasses after the frames broke.