Driver told insurance motorcyclist hit him...

Casper

That's why you don't ride in blind spots, people rarely signal anymore.

Looks to me like he was passing. If you have a better option then to cross a blind spot while passing in slowing traffic then so be it, but I didn't see anything that the mc rider could have avoided.

Looks to me like he was passing. If you have a better option then to cross a blind spot while passing in slowing traffic then so be it, but I didn't see anything that the mc rider could have avoided.
This. The SUV in the left lane was turning left. The Cadillac was impatient, didn't look, and swerved over so they didn't have to slow down for the SUV to turn. The motorcyclist maintained speed.

I'm not saying the biker was legally at fault... but I can tell you how I would have done it differently. You don't ride in a blind spot. (He was riding in that blind spot the entire video before the crash) You see the vehicle in front of the caddy stop to turn, you either slow to stop in anticipation of the caddy not looking for you, or you drop a gear, crack the throttle and swerve right to gtfo of that situation... situational awareness. I've had enough close calls to know what to look for.

Edited by magley64

You don't ride in a blind spot. (He was riding in that blind spot the entire video before the crash).

Not how that happend at all. You can see that the bikes were traveling faster than the traffic on the left. Impatient Caddy merged into the bike just as he was going by. Thats how i see it anyway.

Had a lady do that to me but she was in the center lane going to turn left into McDonalds. She changed her mind and whipped it back into traffic. Luckily i had 2 open lanes to get away from her.

Edited by 20thGix

He was riding in that blind spot the entire video before the crash)

Are you watching the same video as me? He was passing the whole time, not hovering on the blind spot. He started level with the vehicle behind the caddy.

I re-watched the video half a dozen times, he's sitting in that blind spot for at least 5 seconds before the caddy merges into him... now that car should have been paying attention, but the bike should have been riding smarter, too... expect idiots, ride like you're invisible.

Are you watching the same video as me? He was passing the whole time, not hovering on the blind spot. He started level with the vehicle behind the caddy.

passing the whole time? it takes 20 seconds to pass a car?

either thats the longest cadillac in the world, or he is "passing" at .1 mph faster than the car is going, which isn't really "passing" at all.

now, i wouldnt exactly say that he's riding in the blind spot the whole time either... but honestly, if that's a pass, he needs to either shit or get off the pot. make it snappy and make the pass. if you're going to hang back, then hang back.

dude did it WAY too slow IMO. i mean, if you figure the camera bike is moving at the same speed (which it looks like), just look at how slowly he passes that black nissan (which seems to be going about the same speed as the caddy). he is next to that car like 5 seconds longer than he needs to be.

Edited by John

it kinda looks like the cadillac was already partly into the right lane before the rider got really close to the car. not sure what to make of this one honestly.

that said, caddy DEFINITELY turned into him

I'm not in a position to judge what happened, but i agree with magley that this type of thing is to be expected and can be avoided by not lingering in a dangerous position.

the rider wasn't at fault, so he's lucky it was on video.

The rider could've helped himself avoid this situation, but he's certainly not at fault. The caddy driver just wasn't paying attention at all. He kept turning into the bike long after they had made contact. At one point if he would've looked in his right mirror he would've seen a giant helmet.

The way I see it is that after the traffic light, the caddy got on the line or partially into the right lane while the motorcycle was still behind him. I don't see that the motorcycle was in his blind spot.

00:13.....Bike's rear tire is just leaving the crosswalk while the caddy appears to be applying brakes, and is on or approaching the line between the lanes, ahead of the motorcycle.

Caddy slows further and veers into path of motorcyclist. Motorcyclist, having not slowed or changed lane position as situation developed in front of him, in left lane, has had his safe stopping distance suddenly removed from him by a much slower vehicle and collides with said vehicle.

I have a feeling, I could make a video of, or describe how to, piss in a urinal, and magz would find something in it, to argue about. :nono:

Probably true, I have opinions on things... :dunno:

i would've repped you, but i have to spread it around.

• Downvote 1

The way I see it is that after the traffic light, the caddy got on the line or partially into the right lane while the motorcycle was still behind him. I don't see that the motorcycle was in his blind spot.

Then you've never driven a caddy.

Caddy slows further and veers into path of motorcyclist. Motorcyclist, having not slowed or changed lane position as situation developed in front of him, in left lane, has had his safe stopping distance suddenly removed from him by a much slower vehicle and collides with said vehicle.

Legally I concour with all of this, the car was at fault.. no question...

However, the motorcyclist should never have put himself into that position in the first place. He was not aware of the situation unfolding right in front of him, and he did not put himself into the best possible position to be seen or avoid contact. If that were one of my friends I'd be giving him/her the lecture while we were waiting for the police to show up.

Dumbass Caddy driver :nono: Maybe Cadillacs have nothing but blind spots? :D

I take offense to that!

Cadillacs do not have that bad of blind spots -_- especially the new ones which that one is 2008 or newer.