Finally bought a new truck

chevysoldier

lol, nothing against the Tacoma. That's what I had originally planned on but this pretty much fell into my lap. Couldn't resist. I do find myself watching the instant mpg trying to feather it to get the economy up a bit. I've had it since Wednesday and just filled up the tank from 1/4 full at 15.6 mpg.

I'm hoping on my day off, either Tuesday or Wednesday, to really look it over. Needs a cabin air filter at least.

Was going home today on the freeway and there was a kid parked on his four wheeler on the other side of the fence throwing stuff at my truck and other people. I didn't hear it my GF says she heard something hit the truck. I floored it to the next exit and came down the service road. They were up a hill and just waved at me and took off. I went off road a little bit but they were gone. Punk ass kids. Checked the truck later and didn't see any marks.

hears a pic from picking her up the other day. Dang salesman didn't get the entire truck in the frame.

IMAG0261_1.jpg

Edited by chevysoldier
  • Upvote 1

The mileage was the hardest part to get used to with my Frontier. The best I've seen is 19mpg. If I'm not watching my right foot' date=' it can dip into the mid-13s. That's painful after driving my Subaru for 5 years. :( (i miss that car)[/quote']

Yeah, that is the only thing I don't like about it but it's only 4mpg less than my old's was getting so not a huge deal.

first thing I'm going to do it get a soft tonneau. It's nice to have storage that I can keep out of the rain, keep the bed from filling with snow and should help with economy a bit.

Yeah, that is the only thing I don't like about it but it's only 4mpg less than my old's was getting so not a huge deal.

first thing I'm going to do it get a soft tonneau. It's nice to have storage that I can keep out of the rain, keep the bed from filling with snow and should help with economy a bit.

Do like your dad and run with the tailgate open!

Do like your dad and run with the tailgate open!

Lol. Well it has the tailgate assist and I've read reports of people doing that and if you hit a bump just right it will cause the tailgate to hover at 45° and could fall off. Plus leaving it closed I can lock it and keep it from being stolen.

Lol. Well it has the tailgate assist and I've read reports of people doing that and if you hit a bump just right it will cause the tailgate to hover at 45° and could fall off. Plus leaving it closed I can lock it and keep it from being stolen.

Tailgate assist... That's right... I forgot that you city folk need stuff like that. :nono:

tailgate up gives better mileage than leaving it down.

tailgate down gives better mileage than having one of those net tailgate thingys.

I didn't see any increase with a soft tonneau on my truck, but it's a 6700 pound hemi...ain't nuffin' gonna help.

Looks like you picked it up @ Toyota West off of Georgesville rd.

that I did.

tailgate up gives better mileage than leaving it down.

tailgate down gives better mileage than having one of those net tailgate thingys.

I didn't see any increase with a soft tonneau on my truck, but it's a 6700 pound hemi...ain't nuffin' gonna help.

My dad has tried both and got better mpg with it down. I've heard it doesn't, mythbusters said it didn't. Even if not, I still like having one. I had a hard tonneau before and loved it until I needed it off. One person taking off a fiberglass tonneau sucked. Impossible to put back on alone.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice! We are looking for a new truck now and have a couple Tundras to go take a look at.

We were looking, too (thought the Avalanche was dead. It wasn't. Its paid-for, so we're keeping it).

Toyota is running 0% apr right now (through end of March), which came to about $5k savings over the life of the loan. We found that the cost of a brand new Tundra was about the same as the 2007-2008s we were looking at, after the numbers were crunched. Few less bells and whistles, but new w/ warranty and known history.

Someone mentioned Columbus West on here, so I looked. Lots of inventory. Not much in the Dayton area.

Toyota west is where I got this. Decent inventory but my tundra was 10-15k less than new ones. Plus no immediate depreciation once I drive it off the lot. 7 year bumper to bumper warranty as well as a couple years of the factory warranty. My only complaint is they didn't do a good detail job and I'm just now at the dealership to have to smoke smell removed.

Toyota west is where I got this. Decent inventory but my tundra was 10-15k less than new ones. Plus no immediate depreciation once I drive it off the lot. 7 year bumper to bumper warranty as well as a couple years of the factory warranty. My only complaint is they didn't do a good detail job and I'm just now at the dealership to have to smoke smell removed.

Caveat: I was comparing a new, relatively basic extra cab price to used units with notably more bells and whistles. My wife is the primary driver, and doesn't care about leather seats (actually, she doesn't like them at all), and other bells and whistles. It wasn't really an apples-to-apples comparison on my end. And I was probably trying to justify brand new vs. used.

Tundra commercials during the Supercross races are making me bonkers. Holy crap I'd love to be able to justify the funds to do a Tundra up "right".