Please Help!!

Kmanlyst

Diaphragms are cheap and easy to replace dude, don't fear the carburator, its a very simple little machine.

158 bucks list and 112 discounted at Bike Bandit. Each. Not cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-KAWASAKI-EX-250-NINJA-EX250-FUEL-PETCOCK-p-/350191312088?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BFICS%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D330885844178%26ps%3D54

This is your petcock as far as the add says. To eliminate the possibility that the vacuum diaphragm or hose to the engine is at fault. Turn that screw to pri. Which puts it in manual mode and turns it on. See if it helps. If so it is the diaphragm or the vacuum hose. Also do not leave it in this position. If floats stick all the fuel will go into engine when parked. Bad shit will happen when you try and start it. The little gold thing is a screen. As you can see it would not take much to plug this up. Don't think this is your problem. It looks as though fuel is drawn from the very bottom of your tank. My theory is water. When you buy gas and it has water in it it is mixed in from the pumping and what not. When you are riding it is still being mixed up. When you park it settles out and then goes full strength to carbs when you start it. The best thing to do would be to put peacock to prime,put bike to vertical and drain both float bowls using the provided screws. A length of hose on the nipples and a glass jar will let you see if there is indeed water in fuel. This should be done after sitting like all night. Okay since you don't have the facilities you can try this as at least the bike idles now. Sit on bike,full choke.and start. No throttle.hold bars and lean bike( shake ) side to side fairly hard for a couple minutes. Then see if it revs while still shaking. If it does run better do the drain technique. KN filter,after market exhaust and high octane fuel.Ihope you have had it rejetted. If not i bet it is running awfully lean. Yes even running high octane gas when it is not required will lean out the fuel air ratio slightly. This is not related to to your currant problem but something you may want to look into later. If it is not water and you are sure take it back to dealer........You have warranty.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping your fuel tank full eliminates room for air in the tank. The less air in the tank, the less of a chance that condensation can form in the tank since it's the air has carries moisture.

I believe ethanol helps to absorb any water from condensation. It could only attract moisture that is already in your tank. Better to burn it out than to have it sit in the bottom of the tank and give you a rust problem. Rust particles are not a good mix for a fuel system.

I've used gasoline with 10% ethanol for decades without any problems at all with carbs, fuel injection, or fuel systems. It keeps things clean. Methanol (a wood alcohol) was the corrosive alcohol that did a lot of damage when they came up with blended fuels.

Interesting article. With a full tank and very little air in it, I'm not seeing condensation as a problem.

Even if your bike called for high octane I would avoid buying it this time of the year not many people out riding and buying up the premium and avoid buying it in small towns where it likely sits in the tanks for extended periods of time. People think running premium helps keep fuel system and combustion chambers clean and it actually can do more harm than good when not needed it will leave carbon deposits behind and performance will suffer.

Even if your bike called for high octane I would avoid buying it this time of the year not many people out riding and buying up the premium and avoid buying it in small towns where it likely sits in the tanks for extended periods of time. People think running premium helps keep fuel system and combustion chambers clean and it actually can do more harm than good when not needed it will leave carbon deposits behind and performance will suffer.

Lot of truth here ^^^

I was told by a Daimler ( Freightliner ) chem engineer years ago that their studies showed 89 octane has a better atomization rate than other octane ( in todays fuels )

I always run 89 in my ZX14 ever since hearing that and seems to keep plugs in good shape, about 16k on last set and they didn't look too hateful at that point

I would go buy a siphon or use a hose and get the tank as empty as possible and put in some fresh 87

This is an outstanding suggestion. It will greatly speed up the process. Fresh gas, more seafoam then drive it like you stole it.

I would go buy a siphon or use a hose and get the tank as empty as possible and put in some fresh 87

Well for now I am done until tomorrow it's still revving up to 4.5k rpm and then dies. I really do not want to take the whole bike apart to get to the carbs seeong as how I do not have the place to work on it other than outside.

This is an outstanding suggestion. It will greatly speed up the process. Fresh gas, more seafoam then drive it like you stole it.

Yeah, kinda like this one:

This. You may have even gotten some bad gasoline with water in it. Drain the tank, carbs and put in some fresh gas.

Start with the simple stuff! Don't go spending money on diaphragms etc if you don't have too.

well tomorrow I am taking the tank off and pulling the carbs, hope i don;t screw this up and end up with a bike that is dead for good.

You got this Kman! Wish i could help but i really dont know anything about it :confused: I would just make sure to watch some youtube videos and take pictures if you have any doubts about whether you can put something back together.

From everything I have read, your symptoms are the same as what I have experienced with my past motorcycles = bad gas.

You may have run it a week ago, just enough to suck some bad gas in. Anyway, my guess is that you are going to have to take it in or find someone to clean our your fuel system.

Bike would start but die on rev. Take it in, get it serviced and you will be good to go.

From everything I have read, your symptoms are the same as what I have experienced with my past motorcycles = bad gas.

You may have run it a week ago, just enough to suck some bad gas in. Anyway, my guess is that you are going to have to take it in or find someone to clean our your fuel system.

Bike would start but die on rev. Take it in, get it serviced and you will be good to go.

draining all gas tomorrow and pulling the carbs for cleaning and filling back up with some 87 from BP not sure I trust Speedway now though it may be my fault for using high octane.