Soon we'll be able to legally go a little faster

Casper

I don't follow the apparently prevailing logic that any reduction in speed is a "speed trap". If there is a good reason for the change in speed (village residential / downtown area) and the change in speed is well marked with speed limit signs, then where is the "trap"?

Where I have a problem with is the expectation that drivers should automatically know the speed limit in an area without signs based upon the layout of the buildings in the area... Couple that with a speed limit that changes WITHOUT SIGNS and suddenly we have a problem. I know a couple places where the road is the same size on either side of some unmarked divide (like a township limit etc) where the road is a different speed limit either side of that divide yet it's another half a mile before the first sign for the new lower speed limit. Or where the speed limit changes when you turn into a side street but you're just expected to know what the speed limit is because there are no signs. In the UK a speed limit is not in force until there is a sign for it, nobody is expected to just "know".

Edited by Scruit

When I have a dead hooker or a pound of heroin in the trunk, I make sure that I keep at least one car ahead of me if heading into a blind elevation change or a blind corner. If I see break lights come on for no reason, I should probably check my speed.

I haven't had a problem with getting stopped since I've adopted the 'keep it 10 under the limit' rule on the interstate.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes people drive on highways they are unfamiliar with. Traffic often obstructs the view of signs... if the limits change without logical reason on a single stretch, that's BS.

I wouldn't say missing a single sign on an unfamiliar road with heavy traffic, makes anyone a moron that "deserves" a ticket. Yes, ultimately they are responsible, but accidents do happen.

Looking at the map..makes you wonder about true intentions. Safety or State Income?

you find me a single MAJOR highway in Ohio that speed limit signs aren't numerous and I'll agree. Not to mention a lot of places have the signs that say speed limit change ahead so at this point its not 1 but 2 minimum they've missed. My biggest problem really stems with the fact that a large amount of people do not pay enough attention to the road and its surroundings thus making it their own damn fault

When I have a dead hooker or a pound of heroin in the trunk, I make sure that I keep at least one car ahead of me if heading into a blind elevation change or a blind corner. If I see break lights come on for no reason, I should probably check my speed.

I haven't had a problem with getting stopped since I've adopted the 'keep it 10 under the limit' rule on the interstate.

I call BS! I keep my heroin in the center console for easy access, doesn't everyone!?

you find me a single MAJOR highway in Ohio that speed limit signs aren't numerous and I'll agree. Not to mention a lot of places have the signs that say speed limit change ahead so at this point its not 1 but 2 minimum they've missed. My biggest problem really stems with the fact that a large amount of people do not pay enough attention to the road and its surroundings thus making it their own damn fault

I agree that people don't pay attention!

I was just worried about those blurps on the map that seemed to have the speed changing every 5 miles...on a multi-lane interstate. Did the safety change that much?

In the end though, the driver is responsible for his speed. I will pay my ticket, If I get 70 in a 65 zone

70 is much better, happy to hear this, but can someone please tell the idiots that drive 55-60mph on the highway to get out of the left lane! In FL I saw signs that said "slower traffic keep right, it's the law!" Ohio needs to enforce this methodology to keep traffic flowing smooth, if the slow ohio dummy's stayed out of the left lane during high traffic we would have less congestion. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a dummy pace a semi while in the left lane, with a mile of traffic behind them.