Soon we'll be able to legally go a little faster

Casper

People at high speeds creep me out. They need the reflexes and skill to control the car at those speeds without over correcting or whipping wheel too hard to change lanes and they wipe out. More than half license drivers should never even touch a piece of machinery but we let them drive a 3000 lb weapon.

• Upvote 1

NOPE!

The problem with raising the speed limit is too many people can't drive already. Adding more speed to their non driving ass would be bad. Then you have the other people who can't even do the speed limit as it is now. Those people are straight terrible and can be dangerous as well.

I wish there was some way to have graduated licensing in the US. I can handle a vehicle at high rates of speed and have the instincts and reaction ability to do so. More than 50% of drivers cannot however

I agree in concept with graduated licensing, but the biggest problem is that you'll be driving faster alongside entry-level drivers who are apt to change lanes without looking. Now, if you have dedicated high-speed lanes, like a HOV lane but with a 100mph limit, then maybe. Get caught using the high-speed lane without a high-speed endorsement on your license and your license gets suspended. Tailgate in the high-speed lane and you lose your high-speed endorsement. Lane-blocking would also be grounds for losing your HS endorsement unless you can justify the slower speed.

I wish cars could detect bonehead moves and reduce their speed limiter by 1mph every time you break a driving law and 10mph every time you cut someone off. Keep on driving like a doofus and your car won't go above 35mph. You can earn that back 5mph at a time by driving for 1000 miles with no near-misses.

Edited by Scruit

I agree in concept with graduated licensing, but the biggest problem is that you'll be driving faster alongside entry-level drivers who are apt to change lanes without looking.

completely agree which is why I said wish. I run into this issue about daily but thats also because I pilot my truck like its a race car :lol:

but the thing that kills me is people will say I drive dangerously due to speed which is completely inaccurate. I can drive 90mph safer than a lot of then people demonstrate going the speed limit

Edited by Bad324

I wish there was some way to have graduated licensing in the US. I can handle a vehicle at high rates of speed and have the instincts and reaction ability to do so. More than 50% of drivers cannot however

I agree that there are people/vehicles capable of driving and handling much more speed safely. This utopia of driving cannot exist in the real world unless we designate driving times for the tiered system and commerce would take precedence over pleasure. Disparity of speed is far more dangerous than speed, through a couple novice riders into the advanced group and see how that turns out. Put a few expert riders in the novice group without rules or constraints for the same results. I would love to travel 120mph down the highway but it certainly wouldn't be safe sharing the road with others traveling 70mph. I have and do travel at times at 120mph plus but not with traffic around that I am passing. Allowing a huge disparity of speed to comingle is a recipe for chaos no matter how skilled the faster drivers are.

I agree that there are people/vehicles capable of driving and handling much more speed safely. This utopia of driving cannot exist in the real world unless we designate driving times for the tiered system and commerce would take precedence over pleasure. Disparity of speed is far more dangerous than speed, through a couple novice riders into the advanced group and see how that turns out. Put a few expert riders in the novice group without rules or constraints for the same results. I would love to travel 120mph down the highway but it certainly wouldn't be safe sharing the road with others traveling 70mph. I have and do travel at times at 120mph plus but not with traffic around that I am passing. Allowing a huge disparity of speed to comingle is a recipe for chaos no matter how skilled the faster drivers are.

maybe that is part of having a graduated license system, you can safely decide when it is acceptable to go 120.... like when the highway isn't crowded and whatnot.

maybe that is part of having a graduated license system, you can safely decide when it is acceptable to go 120.... like when the highway isn't crowded and whatnot.

Enforcement would be a judgment call too difficult for enforcement. My vehicles ability to reduce speed when approaching others would not be equal to others and unknown to LE.

Enforcement would be a judgment call too difficult for enforcement. My vehicles ability to reduce speed when approaching others would not be equal to others and unknown to LE.

Isn't wreckless driving a judgement call? Its still enforceable. I feel like there are more than a few laws that are left to be decided by the officer/courts because not everything is as clear cut as speeding. I don't disagree that it might be somewhat difficult to enforce, but I still think its worth it :) Plus, it would be like a privilege to have the graduated license, so if you abuse it repeatedly, you lose it.

Wreckless driving is black&white. Driving without wrecking is something we should all strive for.

Reckless driving, on the other hand, is a judgement call.

It took me several minutes to type that post because of all the words that i mispelled... I'm pretty tired right now. I'm just glad you could understand what i was getting at!

NOPE!

The problem with raising the speed limit is too many people can't drive already. Adding more speed to their non driving ass would be bad. Then you have the other people who can't even do the speed limit as it is now. Those people are straight terrible and can be dangerous as well.

Shitty American cars, speed limit 50

Shitty Japanese cars 75

Superior German cars 200

There is your tiered system

Ive put close to 35,000 miles on my work vehicle since August of last year, about 85% of that is on the highways. I cant recall the last time I drove 65mph or 70mph for any length of time other then accelerating to get to that cap of 75mph. At 76 my company gets an email that Im speeding.

I ride the far left lane and when someone wants to pass I will get over when its convenient for me, (meaning when I dont have to slow down just to let you pass). Ive usually got no issues with people like that unless they are tailgating me. And i can tell how far away they are in my backup monitor. If they are within 12 feet they get the finger when they go by. If they get within 5 feet which several have, they get a phone call to the nearest state trooper office

Why do you ride in the left lane? Is it more comfortable to you or something? An ex of mine always drove in the left lane, which always made me nuts when I rode with her, but she could never explain why she did it. It was always "I don't know, I just do" or something like that.

The people who park in the left lane have never lived on the East coast between DC and New York. They don't know that the act of slowing down traffic can and has gotten people shot at and in most of those states will get you a ticket from the police regardless of your speed. They feel it is their god given right to clog up the passing lane even if they aren't passing. These days I am the crazy bastard in the far RH lane doing a steady 80mph. It's the only lane in the Columbus area that there is no traffic in.

left lane parkers should lose their license. I drive a 9000lb truck and routinely am an asshole to left lane parkers. I WILL tailgate and if you make the decision to brake check me and total your car and cause lots of time and hassle for yourself while my truck barely gets a scratch that is a gamble I will take

I am that asshole driver and have no problem admitting to it and accept the consequences

Cruise control, left lane, always passing. Can't stand to follow. Only prob I have is when the other drivers cruise is set just a wee bit faster than mine. Granted I get over when someone's hauling ass.

NOPE!

dude, its only 5 mph. its not like they are raising it to 90.

NOPE!

Not every person / car can handle that. Limits have to be set with the idiots in mind.

I said make me happy, didnt say it should be. Big difference... what makes us happy is not always what is best;)