motorcycle camping trip?

Gixxus Christ!

Hey, if you went camping with some friends and got real drunk and woke up in a tent the next morning with mud on your knees and a sore turd-cutter would you tell anyone about it?

No? Good, wanna go camping?

Seriously tho, I camp at least 4 times a year and am looking into doing a trip on the bike. I am pretty limited to what I can bring but figured if we had a group of four or five people and shared lanterns, stove etc.. that it would be doable to have a decently equipped camp out .

Any takers? I'll bring the bourbon.

• Upvote 2

Ok, this would be a short trip, 2 nights hopefully at different sites with lots of riding inbetween. The real limitations are firewood and keeping food/beer cold. I guess a collapsable fabric cooler would be ok and then go to a nearby store after setting up camp for ice, drinks and meats. I'd like to keep it around neo because I know a few of the campgrounds up here.

I enjoy camping time to time, but all that equip on a bike redefines roughing it......Wing and a trailer is one thing, but a standard cruiser/sport would surely impede the amount of essentials you could tote along. Hell, we've packed the pickup for a weekender and still forgot some things. If I attempted this, it would need to be a close-to-home trial run :D

There's a campground on nimasilla lake with grills built into the fire rings.I have a stove the size of a football that runs on gasoline or Coleman fuel, need a smaller air matress, my current one takes up a small duffel. I also have a camp hammock that packs down very small.

Nimisila? What is that, about a 20 min ride from Massillon? I would recommend someplace like the New River gorge area in WV. There are plenty of places to camp along RT 60 down there plus grocery stores near by.

If you want to stay in Ohio I can recommend Wolf Run state park in the SE. Great roads in the area and hot showers at the camp ground.

Gump: I have camped there a few times and can assure you its all white trash.

Fox, I'm open to wv or other areas. The site at nimisilla is just a very laid back state park the looks the other way if you're a little loud or happen to be passing around a 1.75 liter bottle of rum. Ask me how I know. Coolest rangers I've ever not been arrested by.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I camp on the bike alot, prolly 12-15 times a year.  Mostly BMW rallies and up to 10 days at a time.  I have got my packing down to a science but it is still quite a load.  a big soft sided cooler is the way to go, I pack camping gear, clothes whatever into it then unload it at the site and fill with beer.  I will cruise the campsite until I find someone with a truck or big car.  Strike up a conversation and offer them cash to fetch me a load of firewood.  Most people are friendly enough to do it no charge.  I always try to get a campsite with electric.  Good for charging up electronics, I even pack a small electric quartz heater when it is going to get below 40.  One of the greatest camping items I have found is a small lithium ion battery powered speaker for partying music.  plugs into your phone or, on mine, has a slot for a memory card.  I take the 8gig card full of mp3s out of my GPS and plut it into the speaker.  The sound and bass that comes out of this little thing is amazing!  http://www.amazon.com/SHARKK-Portable-Bluetooth-Blackberry-Rechargeable/dp/B009N1RV9U/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1384128559&sr=8-32&keywords=portable+speaker

I'll keep checking out this thread in hopes that we can get together for some camping in the near future.

• 4 weeks later...

I camp on bicycle and motorcycle when I can get the time off. My wife and I regularly ride to Hocking to camp off of 374, same with Yellow Springs, and have done occasional trips like Salt Fork State Park past Zanesville and Cambridge.  Sometimes on a tandem bicycle.  We did two big motorcycle trips this year, one about 8 days  SE Ohio through West Virginia, primitive camping the whole way, sometimes in the wilderness and sometimes at primitive campgrounds when necessary.  The other trip was going to Fairview Ridge, WV and Grayson Lake, KY cabin camping on our friend's dad's primitive cabin/retirement home and remote 110 acres with a 2 mile winding gravel driveway to get to his cabin. 

Two medium sized soft saddlebags and a medium backpack strapped to the seat were filled to the brim but adequate to hold compact but cozy 2 person backpacking tent & sleeping bag, 3 changes of clothes, few tools and personal items,and minimal cooking gear for preparing food over the open fire. Whoever didn't carry the tent between my wife and I got to carry food for a day or two plus snacks, and we each had Osprey water packs with large bladders, which also have cargo space to carry most of the personal items and rain gear. I installed a 12V accessory outlet under my seat and rigged up a rubber mat envelope in my battery box to slip my phone into to charge while riding. I charge it while parked also, but I also have a 1970's engine with a kickstarter, should my battery drain down too low. 

My two buddies that came both had hammocks with a rain fly and mosquito net, which I may look into for this next season, as my wife may eventually get tired of me constantly wanting to ride the most challenging technical roads when in the Appalachians...  She's more into the scenic/sweepers rides and the destinations, not iron butt greuling days riding the most tight and technical routes.  One buddy had the same pack/saddlebagp s setuas me with a larger backpack and a small luggage rack on his modded out 1132cc '77 KZ1000. Other buddy had a choppered out H-D XL1200C sportster  (mostly stock suspension geometry) with ape hangers and a huge sissy bar that he strapped a large tall backpacking backpack onto.  None of us had excessive luggage, but unloading at a base camp definitely makes riding in the Appalachians more fun. 

I am already planning three more motorcycle camping trips with at least one of those three next year, if not all of them.  Another WV trip and beyond maybe, another SEOH/Northern KY/WV trip based loosely out of our buddy;s dad's remote cabin across the river, and potentially riding motorcycles to California if I can figure out how to profit from selling my house so I can quit my day job.  If that works out, the wifey wants to ditch Ohio for a while after Halloween and go on a great bicycle trip to California... wow. Yes, I love camping,and yes, I was a Boy Scout...

photo atop Spruce Knob, the highest elevation in West Virginia, the four bikes loaded down and dirtied up from 2 hours of gravel roads that day, and rain every day plus the occasional gravel road to campsites...

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19589&d=1369434254

gallery_16506_1419_59017.jpg

gallery_16506_1419_83659.jpg

The road leading up to the Spruce Knob lookout point.  THIS is why motorcycle camping is AWESOME... you don't have to worry about your proximity to hotels and the outside established world, just ride into the wilderness! 

gallery_16506_1419_60966.jpg