Carry Question: Concealed vs Open

SWing'R

Question for the experts here.

Assuming a person has their CHL, I have a question regarding

carrying fully concealed vs open, and partially concealed I guess.

If you are open carrying, does the weapon need to remain 100% in full

view at all times? What I mean is say you are wearing a side hip holster

on your belt and normally it is completely exposed and visible. Now wearing

the same holster you throw a jacket on which conceals it for the most part,

unless the jacket is unzipped and someone can see it as you move around.

Is that permissible? Or does it need to be 100% concealed?

Also, I have a IWB holster that actually fits nicely clipped in my front

pocket but when the gun is put in it it is not fully in the pocket, but the

top and handle are visible. This is kinda like a mix of concealed and open

since its partially concealed but visible. Is it legal to carry like that??

Pardon the probably dumb questions but I'm trying to find the most

comfortable way to carry so I'm experimenting with different ways.

Open carry is legal but you have to decide yourself if you are prepared to deal with the possibility of being harassed. More importantly than anything else is if you have a habit of checking your gun is still there or touching your gun DO NOT open carry if it's under your shirt or coat and you adjust it or check that it's still there no one knows for certain what you are doing if you are open carrying and you touch that gun they see you touch it and chances are there will be a 911 call placed for MWAG people will likely freak if they see you touch a gun same goes for your front pocket question.

open carry is legal in ohio for anyone allowed to own a firearm.

concealed is only legal for those possessing a chl.

ergo, if you're open carrying and partially conceal it via a jacket, no probs if you have the chl.

ergo, if you're open carrying and partially conceal it via a jacket, no probs if you have the chl.

:) thanks. So the front pocket thing is technically ok as well then right, with a chl.

then keep it concealed.... out of sight out of mind

even though you are completely within your rights open carrying if the call goes in the LEO's have to respond and unfortunately not all LEO's know and understand 100% of the law

:) thanks. So the front pocket thing is technically ok as well then right' date=' with a chl.[/quote']

i may or may not have an lcr .357 or shield or xd-s in a pocket holster in my front pocket or inside jacket pocket at (almost) all times.

even though you are completely within your rights open carrying if the call goes in the LEO's have to respond and unfortunately not all LEO's know and understand 100% of the law

I understand that, just looking for options and want to make sure I'm not

crossing some kind of legal line by having it partially exposed at times.

BTW I have my chl.

i may or may not have an lcr .357 or shield or xd-s in a pocket holster in my front pocket or inside jacket pocket at (almost) all times.

I have a Uncle Mikes in-pocket-holster I primarily use right now, the gun is

fully concealed like that but quite bulky so hence the experimenting with

other options as well.

No you have CHL so you can carry how you wish the only time it would be an issue is if you were open carrying without CHL

Kinda what I thought, just making sure ;)

MOST cops don't understand the law. Law school is 3 years, and I don't know many cops who complete it. And that's not to say that a law degree is an assertion that a person knows or understands 100% of what they were taught.

Police know enough to perform their jobs. At the prosecutors office, I had the luxury of being able to look up the law and make sure we were right. On the street, cops don't have that option, and as a result, their margin for error is greater.

Police don't have an easy job. You can disagree with them if you know you're in the right, but understand that being right may still cost you a night in jail before the judge vindicates you at arraignment.

Being polite and relating to police on a human level seems to get you a lot further than being right.

As stated. CHL= winner with any handgun carry mode.

Are you 100% sure about that in Ohio? What about imprinting, what about partially exposed partially concealed? With a CHL I believe it needs to be one or the other in Ohio, and yeah I believe that OC just attracts the wrong kind of attention.

This^been there done that.

As stated. CHL= winner with any handgun carry mode.

Lol yea untill you get a Leo that says u can't open carry and have a chl. He apologized to my buddy after calling some one, he didn't believe us at all. Thanks CPD all we got from was them saying there 2 guys walking around with GUNS! So they have to respond. Don't OC any more its just a pain in the ass. I like it hidden but that's me.

Edited by Dying Shadow

Are you 100% sure about that in Ohio? What about imprinting, what about partially exposed partially concealed? With a CHL I believe it needs to be one or the other in Ohio, and yeah I believe that OC just attracts the wrong kind of attention.

First all of the partially concealed descriptions in this thread describe concealed carry. Where you have the holster clipped into your pocket.....That is considered concealed.

Printing does not count for anything. It's like my dick. It makes a big bulge in my jeans but it isn't exposed. So it is not indecent exposure.

Like cbus said with a chl in Ohio you don't have to worry about these issues. Other than the occasional uniformed cop. You do not have to keep it concealed of you have a chl, there is no such requirement.

• Upvote 1

CHL instructor made a big deal about inducing panic if you print, but I call bullshit. As long as you're not brandishing, one would have a very hard time taking it beyond a cop checking things out and walking away.

CHL instructor made a big deal about inducing panic if you print, but I call bullshit. As long as you're not brandishing, one would have a very hard time taking it beyond a cop checking things out and walking away.

Inducing panic is a secondary pile on charge in Ohio. You have to commit another crime first. And i do not believe there is any brandishing laws in Ohio.

Edited by Tonik

One thing you should always consider, keeping a voice recorder app on your phone, or keep a voice recorder on you at all times. If your pulled over or stopped while walking it takes about a second to start the app or the recorder. I also always keep a copy of the AG's CHL handbook in PDF format on my phone. The biggest thing is to always cover your ass.

As far as open carry or concealed. I open carry about 90% of the time, but im always cautious as to where I am at if there could be a lot of people freaked out by it then I can always cover it up. Plus it helps when you either get on the bike or in a car. Once on a motor vehicle its considered concealed. At that point without a CHL your breaking the law, so its always best to once again, cover your ass.

Lots of good replies here, thanks guys. I don't generally plan on open

carrying, just trying to find the right concealed carry option at this time

and like I mentioned one of the options was basically a partial concealment.

If and when I do open carry, I plan on being 100% compliant with the LEO

that will most likely show up at some point, at least as far as furnishing ID,

I have no intention of giving up my weapon to them but I'll gladly give them

my ID. All the videos you see on youtube with people getting harassed during

OC have to do with them being difficult with the LEO and refusing to show ID.

I've nothing to hide, therefore they are more than welcome to run my ID.

I have no intention of giving up my weapon to them.....

If they are stopping you they have the right to secure your weapon during the stop. They have to return it to you in the condition you have it to them.

All the videos you see on youtube with people getting harassed during OC have to do with them being difficult with the LEO and refusing to show ID.

I've nothing to hide' date=' therefore they are more than welcome to run my ID.[/quote']

Most of those videos on youtube are difficult to make a point. The law is contradictory to what most cops are told. They specifically try to get the cops to screw up by getting on their nerves and repeating the same questions over and over again. Im all about right to bare arms, and open carry rights, but I dont want to make it difficult for the cops either. The biggest thing I keep in mind is I approach the situation the same way I do as any other. If the cop is irate and upset right off the bat, you getting there to is gonna make it worse. If your calm and collective and do as your told and inform the cop right off the bat, you basically set the tone for the entire stop. Respect is a two way street, most cops will see it that way to. However there is always those few who will push the envelope and are on a power trip.

If they are stopping you they have the right to secure your weapon during the stop. They have to return it to you in the condition you have it to them.

If I comply with their request for ID I'd hope they wouldn't feel it necessary to disarm me. :o

Edited by SWing'R