Careful out there

JackFlash

Some of this could happen to any of us.

Let's not be the one the next sad story

is told about. We have people who love

us, wives, girlfriends, husbands, children.

Let's make sure we return back home to

their loving arms after we get the bike out

and take it for a spin.

Ten minutes of this is more than enough to

urge you to stay alert and ride with caution,

and to not push your luck, especially among

other vehicles.

Ride safe, my friends. I don't want to witness

anything tragic happen to any of us on any of

our rides and have it permanently embedded

in my memory. You don't have to be stupid

or an idiot to have an unlucky day.

Be careful out there.

http://youtu.be/5aoT1Nwo7UI

http://youtu.be/5aoT1Nwo7UI?t=1h2m5s

Just remember, the sun does not take no prisoners.

-Charlie

What is sad about that video is that the UPS driver was found at fault and UPS agreed he was at fault simply because the road he was on did not permit box truck access. This guy has a follow up video explaining it.

The only serious road motorcycle accident I witnessed in person was a rider on Lakeshore Drive in Chicago. He flew through traffic, with a passenger, and just didn't take the curve at the right speed. He must have been doing somewhere around 60 when he lost it He went down and slid. There was a big SUV behind him, a Tahoe or something, but somehow he didn't get run over.

I felt for him, but you really can't bring a passenger down just because you're going through an obvious curving section of public highway too quickly. There are enough hazards one can't control.

He and the passenger were all right, amazingly.

this video is just scaring the shit out of me...

I just have to remember when I get this cbr 900 to not treat it like my katana-- I've witnessed a few wrecks with my buddies and it was either cornering too fast for their/bikes abilities, or not paying attention (gravel/rocks on the road).

either way I'm a bit scared to ride after watching some of this

Riding will overcome fear, and develop skills and confidence. But still, respect for the machine's capabilities, and staying alert and thinking a step ahead in traffic will keep the fun factor at a high level. Be a smart rider and minimize risks.

I just have to remember when I get this cbr 900 to not treat it like my katana-- I've witnessed a few wrecks with my buddies and it was either cornering too fast for their/bikes abilities, or not paying attention (gravel/rocks on the road).

either way I'm a bit scared to ride after watching some of this

• Upvote 1

A few simple rules:

Personally, I ride like I am the invisible man. No one can see me, and I expect everyone to be an idiot. Pay close attention to everything around you, and learn to read situations before they become a danger. YOU AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY! IMO, all these lights and reflectors fool riders into a false sense of security. News flash, you could put stadium lighting on the front of your bike, and you will still be in danger of not being seen. Period. No amount of noise/lighting/horns is a substitute for riding skill and overall situational awareness. Defensive/reactionary riding will get you killed. Ride with a controlled aggression, a little faster than the average traffic, put other vehicles where you want them to be. For example, if you are constantly getting passed on the highway you are not in control of your surroundings and you should speed up. There are situations that result in accidents that are completely out of our control. It happens. But, most motorcycle accidents could be avoided by better situational awareness and overall skill, not big bright lights and loud pipes. Don't rely on inanimate objects to save your ass.

A few simple rules:

1. Ride faster than traffic

2. Never hang next to any vehicle, either pass or fall behind if need be

3. Every vehicle at every intersection is going to cut you off

4. Expect every vehicle to change lanes right in front of you, see #2

5. That car approaching behind you at a light will rear end you. Never stop directly behind anything stay to the side Leave a little space and watch him in your mirrors.

6. Your throttle will get you out of more situations safely than your brakes ever will.

Sounds like a lot of work? It is, but your life is probably worth it. Once you've done it for awhile though, it becomes second nature. It will greatly improve your cage driving skills as well.

Theses videos’ are great training tools watch them and learn from them think what really caused this accident and what could I do to change the outcome. 99% of them were avoidable by the rider. The most dangerous time for a new rider is when he stops being scared and thinks he is too good to crash and the time he learns he is not. And remember the most dangerous part on a motorcycle is the nut that attaches the handlebars to the seat.

Edited by HeavyDuty

A few simple rules:

Personally, I ride like I am the invisible man. No one can see me, and I expect everyone to be an idiot. Pay close attention to everything around you, and learn to read situations before they become a danger. YOU AND ONLY YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SAFETY! IMO, all these lights and reflectors fool riders into a false sense of security. News flash, you could put stadium lighting on the front of your bike, and you will still be in danger of not being seen. Period. No amount of noise/lighting/horns is a substitute for riding skill and overall situational awareness. Defensive/reactionary riding will get you killed. Ride with a controlled aggression, a little faster than the average traffic, put other vehicles where you want them to be. For example, if you are constantly getting passed on the highway you are not in control of your surroundings and you should speed up. There are situations that result in accidents that are completely out of our control. It happens. But, most motorcycle accidents could be avoided by better situational awareness and overall skill, not big bright lights and loud pipes. Don't rely on inanimate objects to save your ass.

A few simple rules:

1. Ride faster than traffic

2. Never hang next to any vehicle, either pass or fall behind if need be

3. Every vehicle at every intersection is going to cut you off

4. Expect every vehicle to change lanes right in front of you, see #2

5. That car approaching behind you at a light will rear end you. Never stop directly behind anything stay to the side Leave a little space and watch him in your mirrors.

6. Your throttle will get you out of more situations safely than your brakes ever will.

Sounds like a lot of work? It is, but your life is probably worth it. Once you've done it for awhile though, it becomes second nature. It will greatly improve your cage driving skills as well.

Good post and good ideas to practice. The only one I don't do regularly is #1 because these idiots around here drive 10-15 mph over the speed limit on a regular basis on the highways...which may be fine if you are in a tan minivan, but 15+mph over on a bright red sportbike makes you a cop magnet.

• 3 months later...

There's a new "No Prisoners" compilation video for 2013 (obligatory warning - graphic crashes - real people getting hurt):

There are the usual "riding beyond their skill level" and "left turn" accidents, but a concerning number of low-sides through curves.  I can't tell how many are rider-error (too hot in the corner, leaning too far, breaking while leaned) or otherwise (diesel spills appear to be common in the clips from England).

The riding advice given above still applies. Ride safe for the rest of the season everyone!

Edited by Agent3012

Lol that is my video at 10:30 into the no prisoners 2013.

That accident was caused by counterleaning, dragging hard parts and a G out in the turn.

Edited by RHill