Thoughts on "lane splitting"

cobravenom452

From a pure safety standpoint:

Filtering stopped traffic at a slow speed - yes, it gets you out of a potential pinch point

Splitting moving vehicles - no, it puts you into a situation where a moving vehicle may merge quickly while only observing the spot they are moving into; not expecting a motorcycle to be splitting traffic

I never have to worry about drivers looking out for me because I look out for them.

Smartest guy in the room.

Never lane split on a bike but can't even count the number of times I was in a car wishing I was on a bike. Like coming home Easter Sunday when it took me 45 minutes to get from mile marker 158 to 151 on I-71 and there was a fresh new lane on the right with cones down the middle of it.

From a pure safety standpoint:

Filtering stopped traffic at a slow speed - yes, it gets you out of a potential pinch point

Splitting moving vehicles - no, it puts you into a situation where a moving vehicle may merge quickly while only observing the spot they are moving into; not expecting a motorcycle to be splitting traffic

Exactly!

"The only problem is that in America it is only legal in California."

Technically it is not legal in California. You will find no law in CA that says you can lane split.

According to this website it is perfectly legal to lane spilt in California so long as its done in a safe manner with some guidelines

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

According to this website it is perfectly legal to lane spilt in California so long as its done in a safe manner with some guidelines

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

My point was there is no law on the books in California regarding lane splitting. Nor is there one in Ohio.

The only difference is the way the courts and leos view it.

This video is not relevant to the topic, I'm talking about filtering at low speeds for better flow of traffic. Not weaving in and out of traffic, doing wheelies, and flying in between cars at an excess of 25 MPH.

Yep, I know that. It's the norm that the law is for low speed less than 15mph lane splitting. I was sharing a crazy video from the past on here that caused WWIII. Hell, I had an online wackjob hunt my work and home address down threatening to get me with swords, Chinese stars, etc...true story! :lol: Relax and realize you don't know what my thoughts are from behind a keyboard. There is no rule that I have to stay on topic to please you. It is on topic actually though, but on the unlawful side of the topic. I know what is up with your original post. You can't change anything with lane splitting so there is no point in trying.

Edited by NinjaNick
  • Upvote 1

I suffer from a condition known as Propulsive Thermo Anxiety or PTA. Tell tale symptoms are; irrational visions of jewel-like engines melting in heavy bumper to bumper traffic followed by desperate and frantic attempts to find air speed.

Even with something as serious as PTA, I would'nt lane split even if it was legal. I will and have, however, taken a nice clean, wide berm.

Sweet, I found it!

I use to do the same thing back in the 70s on my KZ1000. But I was a lot smarter back then and knew everything.

I do not have a problem lane splitting thru stopped traffic but I think you’re asking for trouble if it’s moving even at 15mph I have had friends knocked over by a car changing lanes and then get run over by the car on the other side of them all at under 20mph was not a happy ending. I have been riding for over 45 years and have seen a lot and had some bad shit happen to me I still like to push the limits but there is a time and place for it in a traffic jam with P.O. cagers all around you is not one of them.

Edited by HeavyDuty

"The only problem is that in America it is only legal in California."

Technically it is not legal in California. You will find no law in CA that says you can lane split. All you will find is a Chief of the State Police who years ago said his officers would no longer write any tickets regarding lane splitting. Shortly afterwards all the local po po's said/did the same.

Technically there is no law in Ohio that says you cannot lane split. What you will get is a reckless or improper lane usage ticket and judges of course back the cops on that.

Remember, we live in a country that basically says everything is legal unless there is a law against it.

A moot point I guess since the cops write you here for lane usage and the judges make it stick but I felt compelled to point it out anyway.

CA just came out with "guidelines" for lane SHARING (sounds a little more positive, eh?) and there is worry among riders this will lead to a ban. Time will tell.

I'm all for it personally but suburbanite drivers are too stupid to see oncoming traffic, let alone a motorcycle sharing their lane. I've been tempted to do it on 90 going to work during the morning cattledrive but just didn't get the courage up to do it.

I'd like to see a systemwide restructuring of driver's ed and re-education before I'd go full out for land sharing. Too many people behind the wheel that have no business being there.

On the freeway, why not just allow motorcycles to use the (shoulders/emergency lanes/ breakdown lanes) in stop and go traffic? No car has any reason to routinely merge into that lane or open doors into it except in an emergency. Bikes would only be allowed to do this in stop and go traffic at a 20mph max speed (meaning once cars go above 20mph it's better to merge back into the travel lanes) so bikes would have time to react if a car needed to use the shoulder.

One of the reasons cars aren't allowed to use the shoulder is that they would block emergency vehicles from getting to an accident scene - but a bike can easily be moved out of the way, and if they go single-file / use the portion of the shoulder closest to the roadway then they won't block emergency vehicles.

I have been doing some research and found that most of the world allows lane splitting for motorcyclist. It has been proven to be a safe economical way for motorcyclist to get around, plus takes the chance of being rear-ended out of the equation. The only problem is that in America it is only legal in California. So what is to stop the other 49 states to pass legislation to allow this? So if I were to call my congressman and see about passing such a law, will you do the same? Any thoughts on this topic?

I'm in the bay area right now...as I was going from San Mateo to San Jose this morning I was thinking the whole way...why would anyone drive a car in the bay?Between H.O.V. lanes and lane splitting it's the only way to go out here.It cuts drive times by more than half.Free motorcycle only parking is also a big plus.

I'm in the bay area right now...as I was going from San Mateo to San Jose this morning I was thinking the whole way...why would anyone drive a car in the bay?Between H.O.V. lanes and lane splitting it's the only way to go out here.It cuts drive times by more than half.Free motorcycle only parking is also a big plus.

So true.

I grew up/learned how to ride in the Bay Area. For me, lanesplitting is second nature. In fact, I have to remember NOT to do it in Ohio. It has an element of danger to it but the cagers are used to it. Just don't ride like a complete twat. Nobody pays attention to the CHP's speed recommendation for lanesplitting, including the police. In fact, I've had CHP motorcycle officers yield and wave me past at speeds of 65+. Having the ability to do this in California, along with reasonable year-round weather, (in comparison to Ohio) I didn't own a car for years. The traffic there is beyond stupid, but having a motorcycle allows you to bypass most of it. Although there is no law stating that you CAN do this, California has 2 vehicle codes to protect motorcyclists for lanesplitting.

1. Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).

2. Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).

Not to mention doing this to a motorcyclist there may cause damage to your vehicle and or person. Because this does happen on a regular basis, the cagers really don't mess with the motorcyclists.

Edited by creep