Cornering issue

Jynx

So i just moved up from a small style cruiser to a larger one, on the old bike i could take a turn with ease. Im have the weirdest problem on the new bike, for some reason i am having a bitch of a time turning left. even at super slow speeds i feel the need almost stop before turning..... does anybody have any clue why this is going on?

So i just moved up from a small style cruiser to a larger one, on the old bike i could take a turn with ease. Im have the weirdest problem on the new bike, for some reason i am having a bitch of a time turning left. even at super slow speeds i feel the need almost stop before turning..... does anybody have any clue why this is going on?

First off, do you understand the concept of countersteering? Serious question, not meant to be insulting. If you "almost stop before turning," you would turn the bars in the direction you want to go, tricycle-style. At a speed slightly higher than "almost stopped," you need to transition to countersteering to change direction. Look where you want to go, push the left bar forward to initiate the lean.

Have you tired checking the steering stem/tree by sitting still with the bike upright and turning the bars left to right? No binding going on? Check your clutch line/cable, throttle cables, front brake line for clearance in case they're not free enough to allow your bars to turn lock to lock.

When you're riding the bike, it's nature is to be upright and going straight from centrifugal forces of the wheels spinning....so turning the bike would need countersteer input to lean and initiate a turn. If things check out sitting stagnant, keep riding to get more comfortable.

Couple of questions:

Old bike make and model, new bike make and model?

turning, are you talking parking lot speeds, 90 degree turns or curves. What speed are we talking about?

Seating postion. Are you feet forward, chair or feet beneath you?

Do the forks turn stop to stop, equally?

Some have mentioned countersteering but that only really applies at speed. At slow, parking lot speeds, you may want to use counterbalance. Bike lenght, seating position, rear tire width, bar style/height can all impact the new bike experience.

Another thing to check is the rear shock settings for your weight. Add some preload and effectively increase rear ride height may help a bit but that should be more important at speed.

Couple of questions:

Old bike make and model, new bike make and model?

turning, are you talking parking lot speeds, 90 degree turns or curves. What speed are we talking about?

Seating postion. Are you feet forward, chair or feet beneath you?

Do the forks turn stop to stop, equally?

Some have mentioned countersteering but that only really applies at speed. At slow, parking lot speeds, you may want to use counterbalance. Bike lenght, seating position, rear tire width, bar style/height can all impact the new bike experience.

Another thing to check is the rear shock settings for your weight. Add some preload and effectively increase rear ride height may help a bit but that should be more important at speed.

original bike rebel 250, new bike boulevard c50 (800cc)

as far as speed is concerned im taking a 90degree turn at 25 mph

Sitting straight up with feet down slightly infront of me

and i'll have to look at the bike to see if its wires or something else possibly limiting mobility

and my girls perfectly balanced ;)

Edited by Jynx
fuck you thats why
  • Upvote 1

You need to lean with the bike when going more than 5mph. Otherwise your fighting the bikes natural characteristic of leaning into a turn. Also as stated before maintain throttle control, if need be at low speed maintain the throttle at a constant rpm and modulate with the clutch.

Is the problem mostly at slow speeds?....lights, stop signs....bike is more top heavy than you are used to. Common issue. Hit an empty parking lot and start doing slalom runs through the parking lines. Start out every three parking spaces, work your way down.

Double check the tire pressure when my buddy bought his vtx 1300 he stopped to show me and said only thing was going to take time getting used to was how hard it was to turn and it had 12 psi in front and like 22 psi in the rear set correct tire pressure and it was fixed.

i think im just going to hit up easton after closing time, all the streets are empty its like saftey town for adults. it may be the bikes size but its odd its only left turns, so if anybody wants to ride around easton at 12:30am let me know :)

no video my girlfriend decided she had better things to do than follow me and watch me turn left, and yeah i'd love to swing by sometime. i live an in apt with no garage so even the simple stuff is a pain in the ass

Eliminate the rider first. Let good rider take your bike for a spin to turn both directions. If they come back and say the bike is fine, it's all in your head....

BTW: Cruisers suck except to bar hop, but drinking and riding isn't exactly the smartest combination.

Chris