.22lr cans, which one?

Radio Flyer

I'm looking for .22lr suppressor opinions. I plan on putting this on my CZ 455 and I don't plan on getting a pistol in .22lr. If I do I'll be getting the Kadet kit for my CZ 75, which I haven't even researched yet to see if they have extended barrels I can get for it to thread.

I don't think the Sparrow or Element are worth the money since this will be going on a bolt gun and I have no interest in suppressing 17hmr or 22wmr. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for my purposes I think the SWR or a GemTech will suit my needs.

My buddy has a SWR Warlock on order that I'll be able to test out, hopefully in 3 months.

What are you using, how do you like it and would you have gone a different route?

i've shot a Spectre (not the new and supposedly "better" one) and i thought it sounded great.

i've also shot a few different pistols from a sparrow and that also did well. frankly, i dont think you'll go wrong with at least any of the silencerco options. since i only have first hand experience with those 2 cans, that's all i can offer. oh, the sparrow and i think the spectre also come apart very nice so it's easy to clean. again, dont know about other cans.

good luck! i'm looking forward to trying out my savage MKII with a can shortly.

I have a Thompson Machin Zephyr XL. It has an aluminum mono baffle stack,it's easy to take apart, easy to clean. I have several thousand rounds through it and it is holding up very well.

It is fucking QUIET. I have 3 threaded barrel 22s. The savage MKII, all you hear is the click of the firing pin. The Ruger 22/45 TB, you hear the action blow back, but still very quiet. I also have the Remington 597. This action has a rubber bushing that the bolt rebounds off of. The gun sounds like you are cocking it every time you shoot it. Really fun to shoot.

I can't recommend TM enough. I am super happy with the product, it was a great price. I paid $240, I think, a year ago, and I would do it again if I had to (minus the hassle of the ATF "loosing" my paper work in the mail).

I'm pretty sure when I get a center fire can, it will also be from TM.

But with .22 you shoot a thousand rounds and your performance decreases. A suppressor has a 200 dollar barrier to entry.

I took the time to track the POI shift on each of my three guns. Either hold over with irons, or a few clicks on the turrets and I am back on track.

Any suppressor is going to affect POI, it all depends on your host (rifle or pistol) and the baffle design

Also,

DO NOT buy a can that cannot be serviced by the end user (ie, be taken apart for cleaning). Period

Not True.. Thunderbeast makes a amazing 22 can.. non end user serviceable but completely BADASS...

Edited by flounder

But with .22 you shoot a thousand rounds and your performance decreases. A suppressor has a 200 dollar barrier to entry.

I took the time to track the POI shift on each of my three guns. Either hold over with irons, or a few clicks on the turrets and I am back on track.

Any suppressor is going to affect POI, it all depends on your host (rifle or pistol) and the baffle design

Again, Not nesscarily true. Ive probably put over 10K rounds through .22 cans. Including over 2K through the same one before cleaning it and that was with subsonic non plated rounds. About the only time you run into issues is if some lead or carbon breaks loose from the baffles and causes interference.

And, you can always clean them with "the dip"

Again, Not nesscarily true. Ive probably put over 10K rounds through .22 cans. Including over 2K through the same one before cleaning it and that was with subsonic non plated rounds. About the only time you run into issues is if some lead or carbon breaks loose from the baffles and causes interference.

And, you can always clean them with "the dip"

I don't mean to be opposition here, but really, with all of the choices available, one has to agree that the life expectancy of one that can be thoroughly cleaned is greater. Why limit yourself? It sealed doesn't mean cheaper.

I do mean to be oppositional, here... 2k rounds is a good DAY of shooting :sarcasm:

I don't mean to be opposition here, but really, with all of the choices available, one has to agree that the life expectancy of one that can be thoroughly cleaned is greater. Why limit yourself? It sealed doesn't mean cheaper.

I do mean to be oppositional, here... 2k rounds is a good DAY of shooting :sarcasm:

Life expectancy has absolutely nothing to do with sealed or unsealed.

Again, how dirty a can is with 2K rounds is 100 dependent on the ammo used barrel length, etc. Plated/coated .22, which most people shoot is much cleaner than waxed lead rounds. As far as precision and poi shift with suppressors, Im pretty comfortable commenting on that as well.

Sounds like there are enough people on the board now with cans that we may need to have a suppressor shoot somewhere. (Not my place :) )

I think the Gemtech .22 suppressor is the gold standard. I have a Tactical Innovations and it was cheaper and works well enough. .22s are generally dirty and a suppressor that can't be taken apart for cleaning will eventually load up with crap and get louder and louder until you clean it. If you don't shoot much, maybe not a big deal, but not for me. I have an integrally suppressed Ruger pistol that is really neat but needs to be rebuilt every 1000 rounds or so.

I think the Gemtech .22 suppressor is the gold standard. I have a Tactical Innovations and it was cheaper and works well enough. .22s are generally dirty and a suppressor that can't be taken apart for cleaning will eventually load up with crap and get louder and louder until you clean it. If you don't shoot much, maybe not a big deal, but not for me. I have an integrally suppressed Ruger pistol that is really neat but needs to be rebuilt every 1000 rounds or so.

Im going to respectfully disagree here. While they are a decent can, there are many many more on the market that are much better IMO. My two favorites are the SWR Spectre and the Thunderbeast 22L-1 (Sealed Can)

Ive shot the majority of .22 cans on the market. Each have their pros and cons, weight, length sound suppression, cleaning needs/cabibility, customer service, etc.

As far as loading up a can goes, cans are typically the loudest directly after cleaning. The dirtier the get, typically the quieter they become; until a certain point that is. That point is usually well over 1500 rounds. Again, ammo type, suppressor host and baffle design have a lot do with this.