Scala Rider VS Sena

rubbersidedown

I have been using the smh10 for only a short time but the music sync and phone call quality are better than I had hoped. The intercom use and pairing 2 units is simple but multiple units can be trying/frustrating. Luckily I usually ride alone or with the wife.

But on a recent weekend trip to West Va. the main unit's lower mounting tab broke off and sent the unit tumbling down the road. The unit's housing although broken open,would still work when pressed against the clamp but there was no way to attach it to the helmet clamp. I contacted Sena and received an RMA# and shipped it back. Hopefully they warranty it as I really enjoyed not being tethered to the bikes by power cords and/or headset cords.

But after more research,apparently I am not alone and this does seem to be a weak link to the SMH.

I finally got it to power back up and did a flimware update (which I did Friday too) and all seems good for now. I switched units with her so I can use it all week to work and back. We will see

and they are good about replacing units from what I understand.

Sena received my broken unit yesterday the 09th. I just received an email from them saying that they are replacing it under warranty and a replacement unit was shipped today. So far,so good.

I finally got it to power back up and did a flimware update (which I did Friday too) and all seems good for now. I switched units with her so I can use it all week to work and back. We will see

well it died again and now im waiting for the RMA form :(

well it died again and now im waiting for the RMA form :(

I read somewhere that the factory reset helps with this issue. Not the push pin reset but the 'hold phone button in for approx 12 seconds until solid red then press jog dial within 5 seconds' Might be worth a try before you send it to Ca.

I read somewhere that the factory reset helps with this issue. Not the push pin reset but the 'hold phone button in for approx 12 seconds until solid red then press jog dial within 5 seconds' Might be worth a try before you send it to Ca.

nope tried all that, dude on the phone even had me try it again, only time any lights are on is when its charging

Edited by 2talltim

I have been using the smh10 for only a short time but the music sync and phone call quality are better than I had hoped. The intercom use and pairing 2 units is simple but multiple units can be trying/frustrating. Luckily I usually ride alone or with the wife.

But on a recent weekend trip to West Va. the main unit's lower mounting tab broke off and sent the unit tumbling down the road. The unit's housing although broken open,would still work when pressed against the clamp but there was no way to attach it to the helmet clamp. I contacted Sena and received an RMA# and shipped it back. Hopefully they warranty it as I really enjoyed not being tethered to the bikes by power cords and/or headset cords.

But after more research,apparently I am not alone and this does seem to be a weak link to the SMH.

Consensus is that over tightening the base too much on the helmet, causes the unit to be under too much strain and can cause bad things to happen. 

Consensus is that over tightening the base too much on the helmet, causes the unit to be under too much strain and can cause bad things to happen.

I have heard that too but mine was / is attached with the adhesive due to the shape of my shark helmet. Talking with a very helpful lady at Sena,she advised that the continuing removing of the unit from the baseplate may weaken the mounting tab over time due to the stress/flexing that it is subjected to.

I was definitely guilty of this but they need to come up with a more durable mounting option imho.

Love the smh10 and their customer service but disappointed by this and hearing the issues that Tim is having.

• 2 weeks later...

Just charged my G9 for only the second time.  Battery lasted for about 30 hours of radio play and about 5 short phone calls.  When the "Low Battery" audio alert plays you only have about 10 min of use left.

Still in love with the unit.