cicadas are back this year

bigd

We had some last year, but not hordes of them. Just enough to piss ya off when you try to sleep with the windows open. But hit a swarm of these and good luck seeing thru your visor, guts just smear when you wipe at them with a glove too

Swarms of them back in the early 80's on the backroads were thick as thieves. I remember they sounded like getting hit in the helmet with rocks and beat the crap out of your chest and fingers.

the 17 year one is the one you need to worry about them being everywhere. It was 04 or 05 in Cinci when they were naaasty. I lived in a 3 story house and the entire back brick wall of the house was covered with those fuckers.

I wasnt aware that they were ever gone...I remember seeing and hearing those fuckers every year since I was a kid

From ODNR:

Based on the year of adult emergence, cicadas are grouped into broods with each appearing during a different year. Due to staggered development, adults appear somewhere almost every year and since some brood territories overlap, a few areas may experience more than one emergence during a 17 year period.

Adult periodical cicadas have red eyes and dark bodies and measure slightly over 1 1/2 inches long. They do not bite or sting. Adults live about four to six weeks during which their sole purpose is to mate and lay eggs. Cicada “songs” will be heard from early morning to late evening as long as adults are present. Males are responsible for the droning noise as they call for mates. Periodical cicadas should not be confused with dog day cicadas which are larger in size, mostly green with black eyes, and appear each August in small numbers.“Flagging” or breakage from slits

Adult cicadas do not feed. Damage to deciduous trees (especially oak, apple, dogwood, and hickory) occurs when the female cicada cuts two parallel slits in small (pencil-sized) twigs where she lays 24 - 48 eggs. Sometimes a continuous slit 2 - 3 inches long is formed as she moves up a twig, repeating this process. The slits cause browning, breakage, and scarring on affected branches. The eggs hatch in six weeks and young cicadas, or nymphs, fall to the ground where they burrow into the soil and spend the next 17 years feeding on small roots. At the end of this time, usually in May and early June, nymphs crawl out of the soil and climb up tree trunks or other vertical objects where they shed their nymphal skin and emerge as adults.

I've always enjoyed listening to the August cicadas...August being my favorite part of the year as well.

Met a lady from Canada (not the French kind, so she was OK) who had never heard Cicadas before. She thought they actually sounded ominous and scary--as if there were some giant creature in the woods... :D

the 17 year one is the one you need to worry about them being everywhere. It was 04 or 05 in Cinci when they were naaasty. I lived in a 3 story house and the entire back brick wall of the house was covered with those fuckers.

They were horrible that year! it was 04 since I still lived in cincy and I remember running around the backyard with a tennis racket :D

Have an article

http://www.stargazette.com/viewart/20130507/NEWS10/305070011/East-about-overrun-by-billions-cicadas