Open carry lawsuit out of Dayton.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

I'll never understand why people think being asked to show ID is

"having your rights infringed". These open carry situations that go

bad do so because people simply want to play games with the LEO's

and refuse to show ID. Just show the guy your damn id' date=' he can make

sure you are not a felon and everybody can go about there business :nono:[/quote']

Your not really serious are you? You think you should have to show identification for no reason at anytime? Who gave him the right? Why would he ask in the first place? His asking alone tells you he has a personal adjenda.

Maybe some of you need to go and google Officer Daniel Harless of Canton Ohio, remember that this cop is still on the Canton Police payroll IIRC. Here is something for starters

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/09/02/i-am-going-to-shoot-you-third-explosive-canton-cop-video-emerges/

and this isnt the only instance that Harless has committed. Hes done this several times, and there are plenty of other cops out there like this

Your not really serious are you? You think you should have to show identification for no reason at anytime?

Who gave him the right? Why would he ask in the first place? His asking alone tells you he has a personal adjenda.

No not ANY time for ANY reason. But if I'm open carrying my weapon

and a LEO asks for my ID I will gladly produce it. I have no problem with it.

No not ANY time for ANY reason. But if I'm open carrying my weapon

and a LEO asks for my ID I will gladly produce it. I have no problem with it.

Why would they have to ask you for it? The act of open carry isnt a reason to ask for ID of someone

Why would they have to ask you for it? The act of open carry isnt a reason to ask for ID of someone

If I'm open carrying a weapon, and they want to make sure I'm not a felon,

I don't care. If YOU want to debate the 2nd amendment with a trigger

happy LEO and run the risk of getting your ass thrown to the ground

and cuffed feel free to do so. I'll take the simple quick route, since I'm

not a felon, and I don't give a damn if they check my id.

Arguing with a LEO rarely goes well, no matter who is right.

You chose to do it your way. I choose to do it my way. It's as simple as that.

If I'm open carrying a weapon' date=' and they want to make sure I'm not a felon,

I don't care. [b']Then that is you willing to allow your rights to be violated because of your own ignorance.

If YOU want to debate the 2nd amendment with a trigger

happy LEO and run the risk of getting your ass thrown to the ground

and cuffed feel free to do so. The cop will allow me my chances to say what I want to say, if you want to be a good little sheep and allow him to violate your rights because you dont know your rights then that is on you. I will answer his questions with responses that will tell him that I am not a threat. The only way he would/should throw my ass to the ground is if I make a move that makes him feel threatened or make a move for my weapon.

I'll take the simple quickbitch out route, since I'm

not a felon, and I don't give a damn if they violate my rights and check my id.

Arguing with a LEO rarely goes well, no matter who is right.

You chose to do it your way. The way that should get them to realize I am not going to simply lay down and allow them to violate my rights I choose to do it my way. It's as simple as that.

:D

In this particularly case the officer did have a reason to stop him:

“Given the time of the day, the location, and the fact that convenience store/gas stations are typical targets for robberies in the middle of the night,” Reiss said. “It would seem reasonable in the eyes of a police officer to ask someone who was carrying a gun if it was legally permissible for them to do so.”

Police reports show a citizen at the Speedway at 3201 Valley Pike was concerned that a man had a gun in the open and told Riverside police Sgt. Harold Jones, who motioned to Call to come outside.

“Given the time of the day, the location, and the fact that convenience store/gas stations are typical targets for robberies in the middle of the night,” Reiss said. “It would seem reasonable in the eyes of a police officer to ask someone who was carrying a gun if it was legally permissible for them to do so.” this has been ruled by the Ohio supreme court that verifying someones ability to OC is not a lawful reason to stop someone because Open carry of a firearm is legal in Ohio.

Police reports show a citizen at the Speedway at 3201 Valley Pike was concerned that a man had a gun in the open and told Riverside police Sgt. Harold Jones, who motioned to Call to come outside.

again neither reason is enough to fulfill the requirement of the law that the police is supposed to uphold. To agree to allow something like this to happen is the same as a cop coming on to your property while you are open carrying to identify you on your own property because a neighbor called in saying someone had a gun

...Then that is you willing to allow your rights to be violated because of your own ignorance.

...if you want to be a good little sheep and allow him to violate your rights because you dont know your rights then that is on you.

I'm not ignorant, and I know my rights. I understand your point of view,

I simply don't care to debate my rights with an armed person that won't

hesitate to shoot me. You (and anybody else that wants to debate with

the officer) go right ahead. I'll be waiting in the car ;)

Why the fuck would a felon open carry :wtf:

Lol, good point I guess. But lets not forget about the "crazy factor".

Why does any criminal do what they do? Because they are fucking stupid.

I'm not ignorant' date=' and I know my rights. I understand your point of view,

I simply don't care to debate my rights with an armed person that won't

hesitate to shoot me. You (and anybody else that wants to debate with

the officer) go right ahead. I'll be waiting in the car ;)[/quote']

Once again you are willing to lay down at the will of the police simply because he has a gun, and allow them to violate your rights. To a lot of people that says your either a hypocrite or spineless. There are ways to get your point across without "debating" the law on the street, you can protest out loud so it is heard on camera while advising the police of your rights and then allow them to proceed. Why do you suppose so many officers don't do what you say and slam someone on the ground? Why do you suppose that there are so many of these videos out there showing situations like these? Because they know they are violating the persons rights and they cant simply force a citizen to comply without probable cause.

“Given the time of the day, the location, and the fact that convenience store/gas stations are typical targets for robberies in the middle of the night,” Reiss said. “It would seem reasonable in the eyes of a police officer to ask someone who was carrying a gun if it was legally permissible for them to do so.”

Reiss is not a lawyer, he is a police chief defending the actions of his officer. He might think it is resonable, his officer might think it is reasonable and you might think it is reasonable, but as I said to you earlier the courts do not think it is reasonable.

http://www.ohioriders.net/showpost.php?p=997023&postcount=151

Should police never ask anyone anything?

Sure if they have probably cause to do so. If they are making general chit chat then there is no reason to ask for someones ID if they aren't the subject of an investigation, if they are suspect of an investigation, then they are being detained then the rules change completely

Once again you are willing to lay down at the will of the police simply because he has a gun, and allow them to violate your rights. To a lot of people that says your either a hypocrite or spineless.

And once again you just don't get it, so let me say it slowly and clearly for you....

I D-O-N-T C-A-R-E I-F T-H-E-Y W-A-N-T T-O C-H-E-C-K M-Y F-U-C-K-I-N-G I-D.

So how about you quit calling me names, and quit running your mouth

about something that isn't going to change my mind anyway. :nono:

This is all a moot point because I don't open carry anyway, I didn't take

the CCW course to open carry :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

So how about you quit calling me names' date=' and quit running your mouth

about something that isn't going to change my mind anyway. [/quote']

Quit infringing on his right to freedom of speech. Do you have PC/RS to back yourself up?

I would show my ID if an officer asked anytime. I may disagree and ask questions about what they are doing but I would not give them a reason to delay me any longer. I do know my rights and I will protect them but there is a time and place.

If someone calls the police and is concern the police should check it out. they should not violate anyone's rights in the process.

Sure if they have probably cause to do so. If they are making general chit chat then there is no reason to ask for someones ID if they aren't the subject of an investigation, if they are suspect of an investigation, then they are being detained then the rules change completely

You must live a sheltered life. A good officer spends a large amount of time talking to people. It is much more than chit chat. This is not TV. You don't always have an open investigation or whatever just to ask simple questions.

Edited by Tigerpaw

Reiss is not a lawyer, he is a police chief defending the actions of his officer. He might think it is resonable, his officer might think it is reasonable and you might think it is reasonable, but as I said to you earlier the courts do not think it is reasonable.

http://www.ohioriders.net/showpost.php?p=997023&postcount=151

That was all quoted from the story.

Question: some one else complained, doesn't that give the officer a reason to investigate the situation and question the person? For the safety of others?

... just a question... I haven't found anything stating they can or can not.

Edited by snot

And once again you just don't get it' date=' so let me say it slowly and clearly for you....

I D-O-N-T C-A-R-E I-F T-H-E-Y W-A-N-T T-O C-H-E-C-K M-Y F-U-C-K-I-N-G I-D.

So how about you quit calling me names, and quit running your mouth

about something that isn't going to change my mind anyway. :nono:

This is all a moot point because I don't open carry anyway, I didn't take

the CCW course to open carry :rolleyes:[/quote']

Duly noted, remind me never to go to a second amendment rally with you. I wouldn't want to be associated with someone who so will fully to give up their rights so quickly.

You must live a sheltered life. A good officer spends a large amount of time talking to people. It is much more than chit chat. This is not TV. You don't always have an open investigation or whatever just to ask simple questions.

Asking simple questions no, asking who someone is for simple reasons when there is no point or reason to, then Im sorry I wont be answering unless I am being detained under investigation. I personally know the LEO in my area where I OC, they know me, and they know that I am not a threat, the local Sheriff doesnt know me but they see my gun on my hip they give me a nod/wave and I keep walking, why? Because my Sheriff is a Second amendment advocate and makes sure his officers know the laws.

Are you guys fighting for OC rights

or

to never be questioned about anything, ever?

Not so much OC rights as those are already been identified by ORC 9.68 which reaffirms the second amendment. Its fighting for the civil rights that law enforcement seem to try to skirt by to attempt to do their jobs. Even a simple violation is a violation.

Its fighting for the civil rights that law enforcement seem to try to skirt by to attempt to do their jobs. Even a simple violation is a violation.

Maybe you should become a police officer, and do a better job. You seem to be an expert and all.

Maybe you should become a police officer, and do a better job. You seem to be an expert and all.

I got paid to get shot at enough already, I like not having a target on my ass with a big calling sign that says POLICE.