Old Member Returns To Riding. New Bike 95 Honda Shadow

thorne

I'm an old member to this site but got rid of my old bike and stopped posting. Then I got a chance to pick up a Shadow 600 for a helluva price off my parents. I never thought I'd enjoy a Cruiser style bike but I actually like it more than the Katana I had.  My dad took great care of the bike and even washed/waxed it for me when i picked it up. 

mods so far: 

Windshield 

Saddle Bags

Baffle Delete

Future Mods:

Jet Kit 

Intake of some type (Hypercharger or KN)

4 degree timing advance

Bikeside1.jpg

bikeside2.jpg

bikeside3.jpg

So far I've dynod it stock to get a baseline.

95shadow600.jpg

• Upvote 1

If you do pipes, jets, and intake your not going to gain much. My wifes ol' 93 shadow vlx that littlevcarbsbigsmiles now owns i could only get it up to about 34 HP at the wheel. That was with jardine pipes, K&N with a airbox mod to open it up, and a dyno jet jet kit. So just a fyi before you dump a bunch of cash in to a bike that you will only gain 5HP and wont notice the difference. Just ride it enjoy it and sell it for a profit when your ready to upgrade these thing hold their value fairly well.

Edited by 2talltim

The Jet kit is under 100$ the timing mod is free minus the time to do it and the KN Filter is 60$, If i pickup 5 hp that's a 18% gain plus having the piece of mind of knowing my AFR's are where I want them. Since taking the baffles out will lean the bike out the jet's are needed to safely support this mod.

I can't help it I mod everything.  My daily Driver is modded and the gains it made with parts and a full tune where small.

myg35stockvsplenumvscatdelete.jpg

That's 600$ in parts for 13awhp. (Tuned by me)

Ditto on leaving it as-is. Or do you think you can out-think a cadre of Japanese engineers?

Those Engineers have constrants to deal with such as emissions and the ability to run on 87 octane, Since I've freed up the exhaust with the baffle delete and plan on advancing the timing and running 93 octane, I should be able to extra more power out of the bike. Keep in mind a engines tune has to be designed to deal with the lowest common denominator. I'm using the term tune very losely here. I come from the EFI world so this whle carb thing is new to me. But in the end its about gettnig the right AFRs / Timing combo

Here's an example of a BONE STOCK 2010 STi I did..

2010%20STi%20Stage1%20vs%20Stock%20(Smal

Stock VS Tuned.

Edited by thorne

They really didn't leave much untapped power in the vt motors, and if by baffle delete you mean hole saw mod, it doesn't affect back pressure enough to require a jet kit, you're just removing the resonator. The compression is so low in that motor that even with a 4° advance you won't be in danger of detonation on 87 octane.

Its your money but you're throwing it away on these mods, upgraded gear would be a wiser investment, but what do I know?

I'll be tossing it back on the dyno to get an idea where afr's are at and go from there. its a addiction to mod things ;).

I'm upgrading my brain bucket and getting some new gloves. I've never been into riding boots. 

I know I know its bad to not use boots but i find them to hurt my feet.  I always wear my brain bucket and a leather jacket when i ride.

imagine how bad your foot would hurt if being ginded in the pavment with a 500lbs bike on top of it at 50mph..just sayin

I try not to think about the whole pavement thing. It makes me want to sale the bike and make the car even faster..... :)  Heading to iron pony this weekend to  upgrade my gear some.