A Chilly Morning At Mid-ohio

RHill

Arrived at Mid Ohio in shorts and a t-shirt expecting it to be like the previous 3 days at Nelson....boy was I surprised when I rolled my window down to sign in at the gate.  Everyone at the riders meeting had on jackets, hoodies, jeans or were already suited up in their leathers; meanwhile I'm still in shorts and a t-shirt because I was busy unpacking.

Even the tech guy said plain and simple "don't go out".  I told him that it was my first time at Mid Ohio and I was just going to sight out the track on the first session; he responded "oh, well take it extremely slow".  From the moment we went around the keyhole my already doubtful confidence in traction was obliterated.  At the turtle pace we were going, my rear end was squirming around left and right.  I had slicks hot off the warmers and as we putted around I had to fall back from the group; shaking in my boots around every turn.  

Knowing how slick the track is cold and what the tech inspector warned; the first two laps around Mid Ohio was bad enough I thought "it can't be this bad, my tire pressure has to be way off".  Pulled in the pits and it was fine, but the tires had already accumulated a ton of rubber from the track and the surface of the tires were cold.  Went out and finished the session tip toeing around each corner, trying not to think about every slip.

Each session the pace picked up and the traction increased, but going into lunch I was bit disappointed in the day.  

Then, after lunch, it was like someone clicked on a switch as the 4th session started; no longer waiting till the bike was upright, the throttle could be smoothly rolled on through the turn.  Occasionally there was a little slip and slide action accelerating out of a corner, but it was manageable.  By the 6th session the overcast sky was beginning to break and the sun was peaking out intermittently and confidence in traction for drive out of turns started to take hold.  

The metric the guys in the group were using for each session was based on how much we were sweating when we came in; we were bone dry in the early sessions, the 4th session the leathers might have started to tack up just a little, but by the end of the 6th session I think we had all worked up a good workout sweat.  Needless to say, the disappointment from earlier in the day was gone and I was anticipating the final session even before the warmers were back on the tires.

The following video is the last session of intermediate on June 3rd at Mid Ohio.  My lines are not the greatest, apexes are shit, braking markers(or lack thereof) are way too cautious and turn in points are guesses; but I was having a shitload of fun.  At around the 8:50 mark I clear traffic for some open track and ride the rest of the session at my comfort limit being newb to the track. 

Edited by RHill
  • Upvote 1

On a good day, Mid OH is two different tracks from morning to afternoon; really until the sun hits the track. And for myself, I wouldn't think about running slicks there in the morning if at all. That has to be like having the bike on roller skates. Still, glad you busted your Mid OH cherry without busing anything more. Quite a few guys go out there in the morning sessions and bin it, which makes for an expensive, shitty day. I hope to get there either in late July after vacation or early August.

On a good day, Mid OH is two different tracks from morning to afternoon; really until the sun hits the track. And for myself, I wouldn't think about running slicks there in the morning if at all. That has to be like having the bike on roller skates. Still, glad you busted your Mid OH cherry without busing anything more. Quite a few guys go out there in the morning sessions and bin it, which makes for an expensive, shitty day. I hope to get there either in late July after vacation or early August.

Unfortunately there were a few wrecks in the morning, but I don't think there was anything too serious injury wise. I figured the slicks were hurting me when I was having to fall back, but all in all at the end of the day I was happy with two sessions of pushing my limit at a new to me track.

Now my concerns is the next track day there where I will have to be cautious again in the early sessions. I think I'll wait to the dead of summer to get the most hot track time and rent a garage to stay cool and avoid using the generator.

Jeff, you know, I was considering staying there for a second day; only reason I didn't was to wait for hotter weather.

Plus there was car events all weekend, they leave a ton of rubber on the track and make it slick. After Indy and Grand Am is the worst. I bet after NASCAR it will be horrible too.

There is a Mon Tue track day after Superbikes, two best days of the year to do track days.

I was there too on Monday riding in Novice. It was my 2nd track day and the first of this year. There was an older guy on a Harley who went down the first session of the day then packed up and left. I broke into the 1:50s by the end of the day and got both knees down so I was damn happy! Can't wait to go back on the 21st or 22nd. How many Novice days does it typically take before getting bumped up to Intermediate? Putting around for the first four sessions of Novice kind of sucks.

I have a 2004 R6 that is serving dual purpose right now but it's my only bike; anyone have a cheap beater 600cc track bike for sale?

I'm not sure what their requirement is, but as long as you are running fairly consistant lines I'd say if you are consistantly under 2 minutes then you should be ok to go.  Honestly, the first 4 sessions were pretty damn slow in intermediate as well, there just wasn't enough traction.  I know someone with a cbr that is looking to sell it, I'll point him your way.

How many Novice days does it typically take before getting bumped up to Intermediate? Putting around for the first four sessions of Novice kind of sucks.

If you feel you're ready, ask one of your Coaches for their opinion.   I've had to bump down a few riders this year from Intermediate to Novice.   While Mid-Ohio's registration process allows the customer to choose their riding group, we reserve the right to ensure the safety of others by placing you with your appropriate skill level.  Personally, I've always seen it as a confidence booster to have a coach give you the thumbs up and tell you that you are ready.  Also, there was no putting around for the faster guys in Novice on Tuesday.  From the first session on, both of my students were riding very well and were never inhibited by the slower guys.

Look for me.  I'm Justin (with the blue LongDogRacing leathers, #53 on a black GSXR600), I'll gladly give you a candid assessment of your riding, and do my best to prepare you for the next group.

Yeah, I was bummed to see Randy bin his XR1200!  It was a great looking bike!

Great assessment Ryan, couldn't have said it better myself.  After the first session I looked at my tires, and I thought they were melting really bad.  Being as cold as it was it was hard to believe.  It was only when shortly after I realized I just picked up a bunch of loose car rubber from the track.  Not confidence inspiring by any means.  After lunch I got used to the new track bike, 04 Aprilia RSV and things started to pick up. 

Limited Slip, as for a used track bike.  I have an 03 cbr600rr for sale.  Great shape, runs good, bill of sale only.  Asking $2500

I was there too on Monday riding in Novice. It was my 2nd track day and the first of this year. There was an older guy on a Harley who went down the first session of the day then packed up and left. I broke into the 1:50s by the end of the day and got both knees down so I was damn happy! Can't wait to go back on the 21st or 22nd. How many Novice days does it typically take before getting bumped up to Intermediate? Putting around for the first four sessions of Novice kind of sucks.

I have a 2004 R6 that is serving dual purpose right now but it's my only bike; anyone have a cheap beater 600cc track bike for sale?

I happened to get bumped up to Intermediate after the first afternoon session. It was my third track day at Mid O this year and I think it helped my pace immensely to be at a familiar track. This is my first track year and Monday was my 9th day this year. Previously I have ridden weekends at NCBIKE, Putnam, Summit-Shenandoah, and Mid O. Now that I have tasted Intermediate, I love it. With that being said, I still think I will run Novice on any new tracks so that I can learn the line under guidance without jamming up other riders. After my first afternoon Novice session, my coach kept me on and asked if I wanted to run Intermediate  behind him. Hell yeah! I could definitely identify a few riders that I think would benefit from being bumped back down to Novice to learn the track better. I would say the top third of the Novice group were a bit faster at that track than the slowest third of the Intermediate riders.

If you feel like you should move up to Intermediate, ask a coach to follow you and they will let you know. 

If you feel you're ready, ask one of your Coaches for their opinion.   I've had to bump down a few riders this year from Intermediate to Novice.   While Mid-Ohio's registration process allows the customer to choose their riding group, we reserve the right to ensure the safety of others by placing you with your appropriate skill level.  Personally, I've always seen it as a confidence booster to have a coach give you the thumbs up and tell you that you are ready.  Also, there was no putting around for the faster guys in Novice on Tuesday.  From the first session on, both of my students were riding very well and were never inhibited by the slower guys.

Look for me.  I'm Justin (with the blue LongDogRacing leathers, #53 on a black GSXR600), I'll gladly give you a candid assessment of your riding, and do my best to prepare you for the next group.

Yeah, I was bummed to see Randy bin his XR1200!  It was a great looking bike!

I would have to agree with LongDogRacing on this.  Get in the "fast" group of the Novice and see how you handle that.  If you are comfortable with the pace the instructor sets, ask him to evaluate you to move up to intermediate in the afternoon. The speeds very in intermediate, but it makes it easier if you know that a guy has consistent lines in the event of a pass.