Hands-free Death Wobble

Gixxus Christ!

Noticed a funny thing on the bandit today. Above 45 or so if I take my hands off the bars they start to shake violently after a few seconds. In all the bikes I've owned I've never had this happen. Explanation anyone? It has new-ish shinko raven tires, pivot bearings don't feel shot, forks don't seem bent.

Check/balance/replace front tire if needed.  Check/replace front and/or rear wheel bearings.  Check the steering stem bearings; pitted races seem to add to this issue.  Replace with tapered roller bearings if original are ball type.

Also, try jacking up the rear preload a notch or two.  I know, sounds crazy, but increasing rear preload changes the loading on the front.

The ST1100 (what I ride) is notorious for a decel wobble about 40-35mph and changing the rear preload had more positive results than expected!  Simple to do and worth a try (unless yours is set full already!)

preload might help

I know shifting your weight forward at speed with a wobble will sometimes kill it

m'eh, just searched youtube, there was a vid about the dynamics of the wobble, and weight preload/distribution.

Cant find it, I'll look in the kawi forum where I found it first a couple of years ago, will post if any luck

Edited by Medina

i hate it when a bike does that because i just imagine that it's moving around like that while i'm at lean. not exactly confidence inspiring when all that's keeping you from kissing pavement is the precarious contact patch from the front and rear tire, with the front being the important one.

Tires (yes both have an effect on steering)

Steering head bearings

Swingarm pivot bearings (had this problem with a ZRX)

Front wheel bearings (this will show itself with brake drag when leaning bike at low speed)