I Want The Quietest Helmet I Can Find(yes Another Helmet Thread)

2talltim

Since im back on a sportier bike and i dont want to put a huge wind screen on it im looking for the quietest lid i can find. I really dont like wearing ear plugs and my MP3 plugs only block so much. Most of the noise to my helmet on my bike comes from the shield up, i know they say most of the time it comes from the  neck opening but thats not my case. The mendium size touring shield on my bike block the neck area on me.  So, after some online reviews and articals ive read so far iv seen the the Shoei Quest has the best reviews for being quiet. Lets hear it guys and gals what are you thoghts and recomendations on a quiet lid. I'd like to make a list to head to the pony this weekend to do some trying on then ill give Nate a line to get me the best price. Dont want to break the bank either i know there are $800 lids out there that im sure are superior but im not dropping that kind of dough, like to keep it in the $300 ish range.

Lots of people like the Qwest. I hated the one I bought and returned it the next day. Way too loud.

You should reconsider the earplug thing, while you can still hear.

I do wear plugs when i dont have my tunes playing, i just dont like them.

I have to recommend using a bluetooth communicator (Sena SMH5 in my case) along with earplugs.  I used earbuds a few times and they were a pain with the helmet....literally.  Also consider that you may be turning the volume of the earbuds up to overpower the backround noise....doing more damage than the wind noise itself. 

Yes BT ready is another thing i would like to have. The volume I listen while riding is no louder than if I weren't, if anything maybe lower because I like to hear my engine and other traffic around me.

Edited by 2talltim

I have found that it's the bike and air mangement that has the biggest effect due to its windscreen and fairings. That being said you can never have too many helmets, gloves, jackets, and pants. :)

Guess i should add this tid bit of info. I currently rock a scorpion exo-400 and other than a lot if wind noise I have not real complaints with it. It fits well, air flow is awesome (even in summer I never open the vents all the way)and I love everclear shields. When I had the strom I was actually going to get the exo 900 mod. So unless I can get one that is a vast improvement over what I currently have ill get keep rockin it.

Quiet usually means poor air flow.  I don't ride without earplugs. 

My cheapest helmet rarely fogged up, and I rarely took it off to my hair stuck to my head sweating

My shoei fogs if I think too hard, I've walked into stores (take off gear) with my forehead sweating and my hair matted down looking like a dude who is about to announce some sort of manifesto wearing a bomb..but its quiet...

go to your ear doctor, pay the 100ish bucks and be happy

this is just a link, no connection

http://www.eartoearhearing.com/custom-ear-plugs.html

but a LOT provide a similar service. 

http://mymotorcycletouring.com/product/motorcycle-gadgets/e-a-r-insta-mold-ear-plugs-review/

Edited by Medina

I have found that it's the bike and air mangement that has the biggest effect due to its windscreen and fairings. :)

so much of this!!! My RF-1000 was super quiet on both my 600RR and 636. On the VFR its loud as shit but the good thing about that is it caused me to discover the amazing combo of ear plugs and my Sena Bluetooth combo

Lots of people like the Qwest. I hated the one I bought and returned it the next day. Way too loud.

You should reconsider the earplug thing, while you can still hear.

My quest is loud too but I'm on a naked bike and the wind hit me in the neck...if I duck my head down a bit, it's very quiet. I think it depends heavily on the bike.

I've had several Arai and Shoei helmets but the my current Bell RS1 is the most quiet helmet I've owned.  Motorcyclecloseouts.com has them for around $240.  Helmet is Snell rated and runs true to size.  Also shield can be changed in less than 10 seconds.  Good helmet at a reasonable price.

I love my Qwest, it is a keeper.

My Qwest is really quiet on the Harley but loud on the KTM/Ducati.

I assume this has to do with riding position and windshield. Qwest being a touring helment is designed for more upright position and that is the position I ride in on the Harley. Slightly forward/foward, no windshield on the KTM/Ducati and it will whistle in certain positions. I have been thinking of getting a new helmet but that seems quite silly. However, the integrated sun visor is tempting so I am interested in quiet "sporting" helmets.

(I already wear earplugs)

some helmets are quieter than others for sure, but mostly its the bike your riding, some have alot of air protection, some have little, some have more buffeting than others, also depends on the windscreen your running if one at all.  seating position, height of the rider, etc.

im a big shoei fan, and had a RF1000 for a few years, and the past 2 years i have been wearing the RF1100, i think they are pretty quiet, but more so they are comfortable.  

but going from one bike to the next, the windnoise differs.

• Upvote 2

I have a Schubert and its pretty quiet, but not perfect. On my FJR1300 with the windsheild down its very tolerable without ear plugs. With the windsheild up I do get some noise. If I crouch down just a bit I get 100% silence. With just a lil bit taller windsheild I would have luxury car quiet. I have a Sena and can hear my music even at 100mph.