Sv650 Vs. Sv1000 Vs. Gsxr-750 Vs. ??? For Track Days

8Rider6

I have found a new hobby.......collecting motors I'm up to four now.  Once I aquire Jeff's motor I will be on my way to becoming the Baron of K1 GSXR motors! Now if I could quit blowing them up....... 

I won't tell anyone it's a 750 in a 600 frame if you don't.

I have found a new hobby.......collecting motors I'm up to four now.  Once I aquire Jeff's motor I will be on my way to becoming the Baron of K1 GSXR motors! Now if I could quit blowing them up....... 

maybe throw a 600rr motor in there

A lot if guys will rent a uhaul pickup for the day. It's relatively cheap.

That's a good option, never really thought of that for some reason. A whole U-Haul truck with tie downs wouldn't be a bad option either.

I'm really considering dumping my trailer and picking up a cargo van....the decision hinges on how the tent camping goes this weekend.  The trailer works great for single day trips, but it is more work to load/unload since every little thing has to be removed and it doesn't give you anywhere comfortable to sleep without bringing other crap that needs loaded/unloaded.

I'm really considering dumping my trailer and picking up a cargo van....the decision hinges on how the tent camping goes this weekend.  The trailer works great for single day trips, but it is more work to load/unload since every little thing has to be removed and it doesn't give you anywhere comfortable to sleep without bringing other crap that needs loaded/unloaded.

aaaaand, they come standard with 2 tons of candy, lost puppies, and "your mommy got hurt, we have to go to the hospital immediately"

• Upvote 1

I will go against the grain here and say that a 650 may not be ideal for a relatively new track rider.

I love SV's, and racing them is definitely an awesome way to have fun and increase your skills, but at track days; where a lot of other riders are on 600's and 1000's, an SV can be frustrating for a new(er) rider.

If you're cool with that, then definitely pick one up. I just think it is nice to have a bit more power. In a perfect world, everyone would be on 650's, and it wouldn't be an issue. That is why racing is more fun IMHO.

I've been riding on the street for ~5 years now. I'm going to do my first track day in July with my current street bike, my 919. I'm not planning on using this as a regular track bike though, mostly just my street bike. So, next season I'm looking to get another bike for the main purpose of track days, but I'd still like it to be street legal in case I want something different than the 919 on the road. That may change later if I decided to get a 3rd bike though...

So, my top couple choices are the SV650s and SV1000s. When I was first looking into bikes I really wanted an SV650 (naked), but there were no 2003+ in my price range at the time, so I went with a bandit 600. V-twin torque does appeal me. It seems the 1000 may be more fun on the street, but the 650 would be overall better on the track (lighter, more aftermarket parts, cheaper to maintain, etc). Plus I've heard 650 twins have their own racing class, so I guess that'd be a plus too. Other option I suppose would be a 600 SS, but personally I like more torque.

The other option I'm looking into a 750 as I've heard they're nice medium between decent torque, weight, and top end power. I'm not sure if a 750 may be too much for me though since my first bike was a bandit 600, and right now, a 919. Neither of those are slow, but the 919 can still get stomped by modern 600's after you hit ~60mph. The absolute max I would be looking to spend would be $3500 for the bike, the close to $3000 or under, the better.6

There's an outside chance I may hop on something towards the end of the season around Sept. - Oct. if I find a good deal on something I really want, not sure yet though.

ill sell u my sv650s w 21,xxx mi for 3k - mint conditon new sprockts/chain/ mobile 1 t4 oil, tires are about 70-80% tread life no damage, never dropped :-D PM me for further lol

I will go against the grain here and say that a 650 may not be ideal for a relatively new track rider.

I love SV's, and racing them is definitely an awesome way to have fun and increase your skills, but at track days; where a lot of other riders are on 600's and 1000's, an SV can be frustrating for a new(er) rider.

If you're cool with that, then definitely pick one up. I just think it is nice to have a bit more power. In a perfect world, everyone would be on 650's, and it wouldn't be an issue. That is why racing is more fun IMHO.

I've had similar things happen on my 600 and while it does frustrate you and sometimes even piss you off...it is satisfying when you hit the turn and have better drive to get past the guy who has been parking in the turns on the 750/1000.  But you are completely right, it can get very frustrating when you are down on HP....in the last 3 minutes of the video below I was probably pissing this SV(I think?) off.  I had no idea he was there or I would have gladly let him by and probably learned a thing or two following him.

ill sell u my sv650s w 21,xxx mi for 3k - mint conditon new sprockts/chain/ mobile 1 t4 oil, tires are about 70-80% tread life no damage, never dropped :-D PM me for further lol

Hmmmm, tempting... Why are you selling it, looking to upgrade?

Interesting some of you have said a more powerful bike might be a better choice for a beginning track rider though, didn't expect to hear that, heh.

I'm an SV guy through and through. First street bike and first racebike. The SV will teach you how to ride. Corner speed is a must and they are relatively cheap. My move to a 600 was tough at first. The high revving lower torque allows you to get handsy with the throttle, where an SV would spit you off the top. I would love to he back on an SV and apply the methods I've learned from the inline racing.

Interesting some of you have said a more powerful bike might be a better choice for a beginning track rider though, didn't expect to hear that, heh.

It has a ton of low end tq...but when it comes down to it, it's top end seems to be about 120-130 max. Not saying I want to haul ass, but all its power is down low, it doesnt seem to have a lot of top end power compared to a 600 or a 1000. It does handle very well thou. With mine, the only thing you'd even need to think about replacing would be the tires in about 7-10 thousand miles or so. I have taken good care of it.

It has a ton of low end tq...but when it comes down to it, it's top end seems to be about 120-130 max. Not saying I want to haul ass, but all its power is down low, it doesnt seem to have a lot of top end power compared to a 600 or a 1000. It does handle very well thou. With mine, the only thing you'd even need to think about replacing would be the tires in about 7-10 thousand miles or so. I have taken good care of it.

I may be interested, but I wouldn't be ready to move on it til around Mid August to September at earliest.

If I said "better," i should not have.  I thought I said (and definitely meant) "less frustrating."

"Better" depends on your goals.  If you want to improve as a rider, buy the lowest horsepower bike you can find.  An RS125 teaches you a TON about corner-speed, because that's the only way you're going to have a prayer.

That said, most novice groups don't allow you to pass in the turns anyway, so you have to either pass onthe brakes, or back off on the straight and catch the other rider by carrying your corner speed, and catching them as they EXIT the turn. 

If you just want to go out and have fun in a mixed group of bikes, I think ~100hp makes things less frustrating. Then again, you can achieve the same thing by taking a slow ride through pit-lane on an SV650.

What in the hell tires do you have that are 80% and still 7-10k miles on them left?!?!

Maybe I was unclear, the tire's were brand new a while ago - i "assumed" 7-10 more miles till they need replaced, there's no cupping, or abnormal wear - i always check and adjust the PSI....but i was taking a shot in the dark guess...how long should they last 5-6 or ?

Regardless you can see the bike in person and it speaks for itself.

what kind of tires are they? I've got just over 6k on my PR2's and I consider that pretty damn good. The rear needs replaced for any agressive riding but can stand some more commuting miles just fine

What in the hell tires do you have that are 80% and still 7-10k miles on them left?!?!

Pilot road 2 or 3s are all i could think of getting that kind of life, I've heard around 10-12k for them, but I'm sure it depends a lot on how they're ridden.

Pilot road 2 or 3s are all i could think of getting that kind of life, I've heard around 10-12k for them, but I'm sure it depends a lot on how they're ridden.

I suppose on a lighter bike with a lighter rider 10k could be doable. but you'd really have to granny ride the thing evenly on all sides. I'll be interested to see when I get my new set of pr2's if with my newly tuned suspension if I get more miles out of them

Starting out with a higher HP bike isn't going to teach you anything but how to go fast in a straight line, panic and crash. You will learn a lot more on an SV or even a Super Moto than you will on a liter bike, until you get good.

Sure getting beat on straights suck, but catching and passing someone in the corners or passing them as you drive out is far more rewarding than blasting someone down the straights. I ride a CBR 954 and I have been passed by the 600's, SV's and Motards.

My game is trying to stick with THEM in the corners. ;)