Sv650 Vs. Sv1000 Vs. Gsxr-750 Vs. ??? For Track Days

8Rider6

I've been riding on the street for ~5 years now. I'm going to do my first track day in July with my current street bike, my 919. I'm not planning on using this as a regular track bike though, mostly just my street bike. So, next season I'm looking to get another bike for the main purpose of track days, but I'd still like it to be street legal in case I want something different than the 919 on the road. That may change later if I decided to get a 3rd bike though...

So, my top couple choices are the SV650s and SV1000s. When I was first looking into bikes I really wanted an SV650 (naked), but there were no 2003+ in my price range at the time, so I went with a bandit 600. V-twin torque does appeal me. It seems the 1000 may be more fun on the street, but the 650 would be overall better on the track (lighter, more aftermarket parts, cheaper to maintain, etc). Plus I've heard 650 twins have their own racing class, so I guess that'd be a plus too. Other option I suppose would be a 600 SS, but personally I like more torque.

The other option I'm looking into a 750 as I've heard they're nice medium between decent torque, weight, and top end power. I'm not sure if a 750 may be too much for me though since my first bike was a bandit 600, and right now, a 919. Neither of those are slow, but the 919 can still get stomped by modern 600's after you hit ~60mph. The absolute max I would be looking to spend would be $3500 for the bike, the close to $3000 or under, the better.6

There's an outside chance I may hop on something towards the end of the season around Sept. - Oct. if I find a good deal on something I really want, not sure yet though.

Having two bikes, I'd just dedicate one for the street and one for the track.  First off, you don't have the yearly fees if it is not street legal.  Next, are you really going to go through the trouble of removing the track stuff and putting street trim back on when you have another street bike parked right beside it?  Also consider that a non-streetable bike will save you a lot in your initial purchase cost...money you can put toward goodies or track time.  Finally, you are really limiting your potential purchases if it has to be streetable(lots of relatively cheap decked out track bikes will not come with titles)

I wanted a 650 for my track bike, but I couldn't pass up the deal on my 600.

I'll probably be selling my 02 750 at the end of this season.

Just to get something newer.
I'll sell mine at a very low price cuz most of you know what I paid for it.

I wouldn't sell it for anything less than you paid....unless you sell it to me, then $500 should do.  

Having two bikes, I'd just dedicate one for the street and one for the track. First off, you don't have the yearly fees if it is not street legal. Next, are you really going to go through the trouble of removing the track stuff and putting street trim back on when you have another street bike parked right beside it? Also consider that a non-streetable bike will save you a lot in your initial purchase cost...money you can put toward goodies or track time. Finally, you are really limiting your potential purchases if it has to be streetable(lots of relatively cheap decked out track bikes will not come with titles)

I wanted a 650 for my track bike, but I couldn't pass up the deal on my 600.

I wouldn't sell it for anything less than you paid....unless you sell it to me, then $500 should do.

$500 it is then !

Just to get something newer.

I'll sell mine at a very low price cuz most of you know what I paid for 

I think you should part it out selling me the front end, rims, swing arm and rear shock, all at a reduced price:) 

Having two bikes, I'd just dedicate one for the street and one for the track.  First off, you don't have the yearly fees if it is not street legal.  Next, are you really going to go through the trouble of removing the track stuff and putting street trim back on when you have another street bike parked right beside it?  Also consider that a non-streetable bike will save you a lot in your initial purchase cost...money you can put toward goodies or track time.  Finally, you are really limiting your potential purchases if it has to be streetable(lots of relatively cheap decked out track bikes will not come with titles)

All good points I spose, but most SV650's are relatively cheap to begin with. My main concern is how I'm going to be transporting it though... I'm leasing a 2013 car and so adding a hitch kit for a trailer's not really an option... So I either need a bike street legal I can ride up, get a cheap pickup to put the bike in the bed, a cargo van (most of these tall enough to throw a bike in or no?), or a cheap beater to hitch a trailer with.

Damn, you try dumping that TL on someone in every thread...

Hah, yeah not interested in a project bike (or that much of one, anyway). TLs aren't going to have the parts availability/aftermarket of the SV650 or even SV1000.

All good points I spose, but most SV650's are relatively cheap to begin with. My main concern is how I'm going to be transporting it though... I'm leasing a 2013 car and so adding a hitch kit for a trailer's not really an option... So I either need a bike street legal I can ride up, get a cheap pickup to put the bike in the bed, a cargo van (most of these tall enough to throw a bike in or no?), or a cheap beater to hitch a trailer with.

Why can't you add a hitch? I did to my lease. Unless expressly forbidden, just undo before turning in.

I also second the idea of dedicated track bikes. Also consider 125 two stroke frame bikes unless you are large. Super moto's are tons of fun, fast and cheap to operate, crash and race. Minis are fun and cheap. Lots of options.

Chris

I have found a new hobby.......collecting motors I'm up to four now.  Once I aquire Jeff's motor I will be on my way to becoming the Baron of K1 GSXR motors! Now if I could quit blowing them up.......