Sv650 Vs. Sv1000 Vs. Gsxr-750 Vs. ??? For Track Days

8Rider6

I ride a CBR 954 and I have been passed by the 600's, SV's and Motards.

My game is trying to stick with THEM in the corners. ;)

Confused, doesn't a 954 have a lot more top end than an SV?

Confused, doesn't a 954 have a lot more top end than an SV?

Yes, but it's still possible for an SV to catch and pass a 954 if the SV rider carries more corner speed onto the straight, and then brakes later to carry more speed through the following turn.

I believe Lobsta was being modest, and admitting that he has been passed by more skilled riders on slower bikes.  That's actually a good way to learn.  Follow faster guys through the turns, and watch what they do, then catch back up on the straights where their horsepower disadvantage hurts their progress.

As for those lauding the SV's torque, I hear that a lot, and it's really kind of a moot point...

An SV has 42-47 lbs-ft of torque (depending on the generation and quality of tune). 

An early 2000's 600 from any of the big 4 Japanese brands puts out in the neighborhood of 50.  So the SV does not have any torque advantage.  It reaches max torque at lower RPM, but it's got 4,000 fewer RPM to work with.  I'd call it a wash.

Yes, but it's still possible for an SV to catch and pass a 954 if the SV rider carries more corner speed onto the straight, and then brakes later to carry more speed through the following turn.

I believe Lobsta was being modest, and admitting that he has been passed by more skilled riders on slower bikes.  That's actually a good way to learn.  Follow faster guys through the turns, and watch what they do, then catch back up on the straights where their horsepower disadvantage hurts their progress.

As for those lauding the SV's torque, I hear that a lot, and it's really kind of a moot point...

An SV has 42-47 lbs-ft of torque (depending on the generation and quality of tune). 

An early 2000's 600 from any of the big 4 Japanese brands puts out in the neighborhood of 50.  So the SV does not have any torque advantage.  It reaches max torque at lower RPM, but it's got 4,000 fewer RPM to work with.  I'd call it a wash.

As someone who has raced both Sv's and newer 600's at a decent clip... They are completely different machines.  The torque is very different with the SV. Remember that these bikes are usually on a 160 rear tire compared to the 180, or in my case the 190's we ran on our 600.  The torque made by the 600 is at a much higher point which translates to higher speeds.  When a 600 spins up the rear, it is very controllable and more of a slide.  The sv snaps more if you know what I mean.  Also, the SV definitely "squirts" out of corners better and makes it easier to shoot the gap in switchback or esses sections. The SV definitely has a torque advantage when driving off the corners. Remember that the SV's and the 600s are pretty much the exact same weight in race prep.  The biggest difference is the long legs of the inlines with their massively different horsepower. 

I agree that they have totally different feel.

I have never raced an SV, but I tracked my EX500 a few times before switching to an I-4 bike.  The (lack of?) power delivery from the EX wasn't nearly as challenging as the stronger engine-braking.

For that reason, I find I-4's less difficult to ride on the track.  But I'm coming to grips with the fact that torque is more useful more often if you do ANY street riding whatsoever. 

Obviously there are advantages to both configurations, or everyone would be building the same thing.

• 2 months later...

That's exactly what I meant. Try sticking with a more skillled rider in the corners or braking with them. Blowing past guys on straights doesn't teach you anything if all you're doing is outppower them. Sure, you have to have a certain amount of bravery (or stupdity) to go fast, but you have to have skilll to use it in the corners. ;)

I plan on shaking some of the rust off on the 23rd at Mid Ohio. Anyone else going?

I've been riding on the street for ~5 years now. I'm going to do my first track day in July with my current street bike, my 919. I'm not planning on using this as a regular track bike though, mostly just my street bike. So, next season I'm looking to get another bike for the main purpose of track days, but I'd still like it to be street legal in case I want something different than the 919 on the road. That may change later if I decided to get a 3rd bike though...

So, my top couple choices are the SV650s and SV1000s. When I was first looking into bikes I really wanted an SV650 (naked), but there were no 2003+ in my price range at the time, so I went with a bandit 600. V-twin torque does appeal me. It seems the 1000 may be more fun on the street, but the 650 would be overall better on the track (lighter, more aftermarket parts, cheaper to maintain, etc). Plus I've heard 650 twins have their own racing class, so I guess that'd be a plus too. Other option I suppose would be a 600 SS, but personally I like more torque.

The other option I'm looking into a 750 as I've heard they're nice medium between decent torque, weight, and top end power. I'm not sure if a 750 may be too much for me though since my first bike was a bandit 600, and right now, a 919. Neither of those are slow, but the 919 can still get stomped by modern 600's after you hit ~60mph. The absolute max I would be looking to spend would be $3500 for the bike, the close to $3000 or under, the better.6

There's an outside chance I may hop on something towards the end of the season around Sept. - Oct. if I find a good deal on something I really want, not sure yet though.

I started on an R6 which I rode for a few years and raced. Recentlly switched to an SV this season and love it. I wish I had the SV from the beginning. Much more fun and the racing is alot closer (if you ever plan on racing).

Another huge point is the cost. They are cheaper and easier to fix and the tires last twice as long if not more and they are cheaper. The choice is clear!