Semi Gets Air Time

Scruit

i read he got forced off the highway by a merging car and the off ramp he crested at 70+ mph. No idea if its accurate or not though

He didn't come up the ramp, he came up the embankment right next to the overpass. If it were me, there would have been a squished car.

Yes! I love seeing 18 wheeler carnage. I work at a truck dealership, so I'm assuming the joy I take in seeing class 8 trucks die is most likely stemmed from my hatred in having to help repair these things so there are that many more on the road to piss me off in my travels!

How long does it take to stop a semi from 70mph?

Depends on it's load. An empty 53ft trailer and tractor easily takes approximately 1-1/2 times the distance as it takes to stop a typical passenger car. The DOT raised the braking standard on new production class 8's ( phase 1 for all 3-axle up to 59k lbs ) 2 years ago and made it effective for all axle variations this month ( phase 2 ). The old standard was within 355ft no matter the load/gvwr. The new standards limit distances by # of axles & gvwr.

New shoe/pad lining materials and larger diameter surface and/or width increase was the only change needed to meet the new law. Air disc brakes can currently outperform the new standard by a small margin, but they are quirpy devices and very expensive to maintain. Until some better caliper designs are produced, these wont be popular at all.

Here's some more details

http://www.meritor.com/products/brakes/rsd.aspx

Edited by Hellmutt