Hole In Brand New Q3, Plug It?

Limitedslip7

You need to have it done with a patchplug.That's a plug with a patch on it.That way the plug won't come out.

This. I've plugged tires before and never had them come out, but I also used rubber cement on the plug to help bond it. I've gotten up to 100 mph on a tire without slinging a plug, wouldnt go above that or do it for long distances. I have heard of plugs pooping right out of the tire on hot days due to increased pressure in the tire and the rubber softening up. Patch plug is your best bet, more expensive but much more reliable.

I have plugged a couple tires now without issue. Had a nail in one less than 20 miles after mounting, literally picked it up on the ride home from changing the tire! Plugged it and it worked perfectly fine. As long as its in the middle couple inches I would plug it.

These are always fun threads.

I say no. Sucks when it happens, but bike tires have very different forces twisting on them compared to car tires. If the nail broke a cord, you take a chance of the tire shredding. Then there is the chance of the plug working its way out at speed due to the twisting forces exerted on a bike tire.

Flat tire at speed on a car, no big deal. Flat tire at speed on a bike, very big deal!

Hmmmm... I reckon I'll plug/patch it then. I was hoping to use the tires on the track bike after I wore out the center on the street, but I reckon I'll just chuck it after. Anyone know where I can get a good plug/patch kit from a place that would be open today?

I expect a nail in every new rear tire... Because I always get one. And then I plug it. With my wal-mart bell plugs and then I pump it up with my wal-mart compressor. Then I go a buck eighty and flap my arms. Never had a plug budge.

You do realize you just jinxed yourself, right?

If you're going to fix it rather than replace it, definately use a plug patch. Just be sure to grind the surface welll and use tire sealant on top of the plug patch once you've installed it. We used to burn the sealant to bond it, but I think that is frowned upon now a days.