Back - New To Me Vtx 1300s, Gear Ratio ??

progrmr

I bought a 2004 VTX 1300S with 4109 miles on it from independent motorsports about a 3 weeks ago. I've put about 750 miles on the bike and it's great to be riding again...but this is the weirdest V-Twin I've ever ridden.

I can't believe the gear ratio is how it is. Check it out:

1st gear: 0-25

2nd gear: 25-45 - don't get there early either, shifting into 3rd at 40 will make the engine feel like it's lugging

3rd gear: 45-55

4th gear: 55-65

5th gear: 65+ - but this engine doesn't feel like it has very much over 75...really gotta work it and I get a lot of vibration and the engine sounds like its at the top of the gear.

I've read more than a few posts about the VTX 1300's having a weird feel when it comes to the shifting points, but I thought gears got taller the higher the gear..!!

Anyone have a VTX 1300 that can comment or ridden one? I'm about to take it to the dealer and see what they think.

I know, pics or it didn't happen :)

vtx10.jpg

vtx11.jpg

I had a VTX 1800 for a few years. A good friend of mine had the VTX 1300, and I rode it a number times. What you describe above seems similar to my experiences. My friend and I could not believe that Honda did not put fuel injection on the original 1300s. It seems like it would run significantly better. The old VTX 1800s were fuel injected, and they were pretty fun to ride (if you don't mind dragging floorboards and highway boards in the twisties). I believe Honda's new 1300 cruisers are fuel injected and run stronger. With that said, the VTX 1300 & 1800 are very dependable, and there are lots of aftermarket parts. Enjoy the new ride.

I had a shadow 1100 for a while, similar motor, similar bike. It was only a 4 speed but had plenty above 75. Topped out at around 120. It was very chuggy tho if you short shifted it, and sounded like it wanted to scatter if you wound it up. No tach but it had the redline speed of each gear printed on the spedo.