Why Does Osu Need An Armored Vehicle!?

Casper

Considering the issues they've had before and as mentioned, the size of the university, it is very much like a city in of itself.  I would say I would expect that they would have one in case rioting or student protests...  I think that OSU has a police force that is equal to that of any city.  So, I am not surprised that they have SWAT style items on hand.

Unless I am delusional.  Which is often the case.  ;)

I am definitely not a cop lover(I do love Cox and he happens to be on OSU's PD), but I actually agree with this.  Like Redkow said, and like I've discussed with family and friends a lot of times, OSU would/is(it is) on the top of the list for Terrorist attack planning.  As Brian stated, it's a city in itself, it actually has a similar team to SWAT, but SRT, along with trained snipers, bike patrol(Cox is one) Harleys, not just pedals although Cox in spandex would be awesome.  They have K9's, and do a TON of training.  I've talked to him about what their training is like and it's actually pretty unreal, it's not like the rentacops we had at Muskingum who somehow had guns, and knew nothing about the law or safety, just got a badge.

But I think it's actually wise to have something like this there, and the price was right :)

Free is a good price.

This is always good........

and btw, OSU is ranked as the 3rd largest by enrollment  as of Dec 2012.  2008 they were ranked #1, 2009  #2 and at the end of 2012, 3rd.  Overall they are ranked #52.

Edited by ohiomike

I'm sure the maintenance/fuel costs are free as well  :rolleyes:

I'm all for keeping the students safe, but everything comes at a cost.  How much is tuition this year?

(Sorry, if too snarky.  I'm in a office that analyzes every penny we spend under a damn microscope)

If it just sits around, probably not much :)

I'm sure the maintenance/fuel costs are free as well  :rolleyes:

I'm all for keeping the students safe, but everything comes at a cost.  How much is tuition this year?

(Sorry, if too snarky.  I'm in a office that analyzes every penny we spend under a damn microscope)

That only counts if you consider the portion of maintenance/fuel over and above a different truck. 

If the excess maintenance and fuel costs more than purchasing a regular truck then it does not make sense financially to accept this free truck as it becomes a white elephant.

However, I struggle to accept that the excess maintenance and extra fuel would offset the cost of a new truck.  So, from a penny-pinching-perspective, free truck=good.

Now, time to go on patrol and stomp the guts out of some jaywalkers and panhandlers.   Someone man the turret gun!

Cox said he gets to drive it, think we can have him DD us sometime this winter in that thing?  He's so baller.

Dude that would be legit getting picked up from a house on Greek row by that thing.  I can see it now, "dude, SWAT just rolled up everyone run!" "naw man that's my ride, fit's 10 ladies, who needs a lift back to my place? Sorry, no bros."  Then ladies come running from the bushes in awe of your excess manliness.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...