Brake Drum On Kids Quad

M_Quick

I posted this on a Polaris forum, but not much insight so i thought I would try here. Last time out riding the kids quad started making a noise, like a screeching or grinding sound. Our weekend trip was all but over, so we looked at it real quick and just loaded it up on the trailer. Even in neutral if we rolled it by hand you could hear the noise. Figured it was the brake shoes worn out, rubbing on the drum. When I finally take it apart the shoes look fine, but the inside of the drum has some fresh grinding on it. And I cant see wth would cause this? Here's some pictures, of the drum and brakes as I found them after removing the drum. The quad is a 06 Phoenix 200cc any help is appreciated! And for some reason there was no noise rolling the quad off the trailer and around the garage. Even once on jack stand, when I would spin the tires by hand before I took it apart no noise? An no nothing fell out of the drum when I removed it.

DSC_2850_zpsf77e8eb1.jpg

DSC_2846_zpse59b0f88.jpg

The piece of something i think your referring to is just part of the backing plate. if it's around 7 O'clock you can also see the same thing at 1 o'clock area, The spring is just a illusion, and no play at all in the axle. I took it apart, put it back together and have no noise on a ATV stand? Something obviously beat the shit out of the drum, but i see no other signs of damage or wear anywhere? I'm not sure why the part of the drum the shoes contact is all gunked up and not shinny either.

Edited by M_Quick

looks like the drum brakes haven't been used. Have you tried pulling the rear brake while the drum is off to see if its working like it should? Maybe pull the brake pads and look again

Did the brake shoe contact the drum around the area where the spring attaches?

Its hard to diagnose from the picture but I wonder if the shoes had been seized to the brake shaft and the shoes moved not the way they were intended to.

Just a guess

Edited by c7fx

looks like the drum brakes haven't been used. Have you tried pulling the rear brake while the drum is off to see if its working like it should? Maybe pull the brake pads and look again

Its hard to diagnose from the picture but I wonder if the shoes had been seized to the brake shaft and the shoes moved not the way they were intended to.

Just a guess

I think the kids do use the front brake mainly. But the brake shoes do open up like they  should. When you apply the brake you can do it from the left hand lever or the foot brake lever on the right. At 2 o'clock you can see where the cables attach, When you apply the brake it tilts the piece to the right of the the right spring. and then opens the shoes up on the right side only. I have it back together but have been busy so I haven't rode  tested it yet. But there was no noise on the atv stand???

• 1 month later...

Just a guess

^This was my thought as well.