Make sure the caliper is floating and not sticking that is hard on the pads and your rotor.

I had the bright idea one time to make my own pads out of a set of car pads. I cut and ground and drilled on those things for a few hours until I had a good looking set of pads that I thought would last forever on the rear of my Warrior they lasted one day. Live and learn I guess. My Z400 was hard on rear pads also. I tried to use the front brakes as much as I could.

Gonna try some EBC pads. $30. They better last more than 3 rides.

Get the full metallic pads, EBC I think they're FS or MA pads. $30 sounds like what I was paying. Also I think I was getting about six mounts of hard riding on the weekends out of a set.

Edited by Mj 88

After u clean the pins that the caliper slides on and clean the pins that hold the pads put the new pads on and go for a short ride hit the brakes a few times then after a little riding stop with the front brakes and see if the rear rotor is still hot. If so the pads are draging and making the rotor hot.

I bought a middle of the line priced set on eBay. $35.00 for 3 set, 2 fronts one rear. Sumo brand, total garbage the rears lasted 5 rides. And I don't use rear brakes much either. My oem ones were still okay after 3 years, so I put them back on after the Sumo's failed this spring. The thing about the EBC is they make about a thousand different ones, lol... This is what i'm going to try next time around...

• EBC "R" Series sintered brake pads are the ideal choice for racers and weekend warriors looking for an affordable brake pad that lasts.
Edited by M_Quick

After u clean the pins that the caliper slides on and clean the pins that hold the pads put the new pads on and go for a short ride hit the brakes a few times then after a little riding stop with the front brakes and see if the rear rotor is still hot. If so the pads are draging and making the rotor hot.

I clean the pins and caliper slides on the wire wheel every time I change them.  Thin coat of grease before reassembly. 

I will try your check method after installation.  I really think its the massive amounts of mud they get on them at Wayne.  Still shouldnt roach them after one ride.

post-9745-0-40869200-1380244853_thumb.jp

Update: Forward Powersports has refunded my money on the cheap pads.

Told them my situation, emailed them a requested pic of the roached pads. They offered replacement pads or refund and refunded my money promptly. Good company selling subpar pads.

I don't know about the Honda's, but I'd eat a rear set every year or so on my Z400, and like most, I don't use them all that much.  Removed the parking brake mechanism, and haven't replaced them in a long time.  P-brake was making them rub the disk, regardless of how it was adjusted.  For the Z they sell block off plates, but you can fab your own for a quarter.  

I removed the parking brake on my Honda too. Not cause it was rubbing, but because it would need re-adjusted after every ride. And I believe the block off plates are pretty much universal. I need to get the Modquad one in black to match my quad and the MQ on it would be sweet! 

http://compare.ebay.com/like/200794932087?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Out of curiosity what brand were the set you bought from forward powersports? I've bought a couple chains from them. Not sure how they hold up yet, because the 1st one was on the Scrambler that was stolen, And the one on my Honda right now isn't that old. They had a killer price on the X-ring chain for my quad. 

• 6 months later...

Out of curiosity what brand were the set you bought from forward powersports? I've bought a couple chains from them. Not sure how they hold up yet, because the 1st one was on the Scrambler that was stolen, And the one on my Honda right now isn't that old. They had a killer price on the X-ring chain for my quad.

Well the factory spec X-ring chain I purchased from Forward Powersports ended up being junk. Lasted about a year. I noticed a bad link in the master, which ended up being a broken pin. When I pulled the chain I also noticed a second bad link. I'm planning on hitting WNF Saturday. So my local Honda shop has a BikeMaster O-ring chain in stock. Its 20 links to long, but he said service should cut it down for me.

post-14396-13982994401786.jpg

post-14396-13982994726341.jpg

sent using tappetalk! Edited by M_Quick