Considering selling wife's bike.... sell to dealer or individual? What's better?

SWing'R

Melissa and I are tossing around the idea of selling her bike since she barely rides it.

She has fibromyalgia and is dealing with a lot of pain and riding isn't easy for her.

Would it be better to sell to a dealer or look for a individual to sell to??  Where would

we get the best deal?

We are not sure yet, just kicking the idea around.

FYI, the bike is identical to mine, it's a 2009 Yamaha FZ6R 600cc, has very low miles,

never been down, in perfect shape.

Also the bike is paid off, haven't picked up the clean title yet but will have it soon.

Edited by SWing'R

I dont know how much a dealer would give for a bike without it being used as a trade in.

Have you dealt with any of smaller shops motorcycles for mainatance? Possibly the people there that would know the bike and might want it?

Awhile back, I used to get those post cards in the mail for companies that indicate "we buy bikes" but I don't have any of those around.

The possible drawback to craigslist is dealing with the time and hassle of the general public.

Maybe throw it out for sale on here?

I may officially list it for sale here once we decide for sure if we are going to sell it or not, right now not sure.

There is a place on the south end that buys bikes, Independent Motorsports ( http://www.indmoto.com )

I would consider using it as a tradin towards a cruiser in a couple years but not right now, so not sure if it

would be better to sell it now for the cash, or hang on to it til im ready to get a cruiser (probably 3yrs,

gotta pay off a loan first)

Edited by SWing'R

Only sell to a dealer if you want it gone NOW.  When buying outright they'll offer you wholesale price, which is usually less than trade in value.

This time of year they'd probably offer a good bit under 3k.  You could definitely get more selling it yourself in the spring. 

If you really just want to be done with it...find out what the dealer will buy it for...and I'll give you $100 more than them :)

When i sold my 08 Ninja 250, the dealer wanted to give me $1700 on a trade. I pretty much laughed in their face. 

I sold it for $3000 in about 1 1/2 months off craigslist. During that time though, i had 5 no-shows (one guy twice). Each time i pulled it out, warmed it up, ready to go. And then sat around waiting. 

It's up to you if you're willing to waste time and aggravation for the extra money. To me, it was. 

private sale will always yield the most $$ for you as the dealer will need to price lower to make margin.

This is great time of the year to be a buyer as there are lots of bikes coming onto the market. Poor time to be a seller.

Bonus, buyers are out there looking and you never know. Put it out there and see if it sells. If not, hold on and wait till spring.