Car Tars (tires)..too many options

2talltim

I have winter tires for my 951 but haven't run them in over 2 years since it sits in the garage 95% of the time and never goes out in the winter unless the roads are clear of the salt residue.   RWD and winter tires = fun in the snow. 

The DuraTrac's are M+S tires with the snowflake and did well in the wnter when I ran them on my Ram. 

Bring your all seasons to Ashtabula county, we'll pull you out of the ditch...

Ive done tsd rallies in Ashtabula County in January in the dark with 6" of fresh snow and I was just fine. Maybe you just need to learn how to drive a car

Ive done tsd rallies in Ashtabula County in January in the dark with 6" of fresh snow and I was just fine. Maybe you just need to learn how to drive a car

I haven't been in a ditch in over 12 years.... but I've pulled 2 or 3 a year out every year except the last 2 (really mild the last 2, not a lot of snow) This past year I just pulled 1 out... all seasons SMH...

6" of snow? come on man, why don't you roll through when it REALLY snows... 6" is a dusting.

Edited by magley64

I haven't been in a ditch in over 12 years.... but I've pulled 2 or 3 a year out every year except the last 2 (really mild the last 2, not a lot of snow) This past year I just pulled 1 out... all seasons SMH...

6" of snow? come on man, why don't you roll through when it REALLY snows... 6" is a dusting.

translation: I brag about how much it snows where I live to compensate for my tiny penis.

Sent from my flip razor using Tapatalk - now Free

• Upvote 1

I love RWD in the winter. So much fun to be had drifting it around corners...

True, I have grown to appreciate trucks more than rwd cars in the winter though. RWD when you want to be an asshole and slide all over the place, and 4wd when you actually need to get somewhere.

translation: I brag about how much it snows where I live to compensate for my tiny penis.

Sent from my flip razor using Tapatalk - now Free

Yep, it's so tiny, and it snows a lot, like this one night, it snowed over night like 50 of my penises high in just 6 or 7 hours, it was pretty crazy.

• Upvote 1

True, I have grown to appreciate trucks more than rwd cars in the winter though. RWD when you want to be an asshole and slide all over the place, and 4wd when you actually need to get somewhere.

I don't see what the shape of the cab has to do with the driving configuration (RWD car vs RWD truck), but yeah, the only experience i have with 4 wheel was my old 86 blazer. had detroit lockers front and back, and 33" snow tires... wasn't real stable going own the road at speed, but going slow there wasn't much that would stop it.

Yeah well I got all seasons with a scooby and awd bitch I pass 4x4 trucks in the winter LOL!! Can you say rally cup style!!

I pass 4x4 trucks with my eldorado, I've passed 4x4 trucks with my 67 Tempest/Gto, my dad passes 4x4 trucks with his FWD cobalt.

4x4 trucks aren't all that stable at high speeds, a lot of weight = a lot of inertia, and 4wd doesn't help at all with braking.

I don't see what the shape of the cab has to do with the driving configuration (RWD car vs RWD truck), but yeah, the only experience i have with 4 wheel was my old 86 blazer. had detroit lockers front and back, and 33" snow tires... wasn't real stable going own the road at speed, but going slow there wasn't much that would stop it.

not so much shape of cab, its more weight distribution in my experience

• Upvote 1

Blizzaks FTW.  I change them out when the average dips below 35 for the winter and use the solely during the winter months.  

There is a huge difference between my "all-season" tires and the Blizzaks, but where I live we get 22" in one night (that's what she said), so it's a necessity so i can still make it in to work and sell parts to you all ;)

Edited by RidersDiscount

I was referring to the fact that you can have fun in RWD and then switch to 4wd when needed.

Gotcha...

I know I'm in the minority here, (as with many other things) but I will still take a RWD car over a FWD or a AWD given the option... I just don't want the Wheels responsible for doing the steering to have anything to do with the wheels doing the driving, at all.  Especially in snow.

Edited by magley64

Gotcha...

I know I'm in the minority here, (as with many other things) but I will still take a RWD car over a FWD or a AWD given the option... I just don't want the Wheels responsible for doing the steering to have anything to do with the wheels doing the driving, at all.  Especially in snow.

I can agree on that fact. I have actually much preferred my truck vs car rwd but I've never loaded weight in to it. Also as stated I can play with the RWD and switch to 4wd to haul ass home

I can't get in on the RWD love-fest.

I didn't mind my ranger once it was moving, but I could literally back out of my driveway, and not be able to pull forward to go to work some mornings.  I was lucky to get back into my driveway.

I liked drifting it around corners, and I only ever had a couple of "shit... the back-end is stepping out, and I'm NOT making it up this hill" moments, but I don't miss it.  FWD feels unstoppable by comparison, and liberal use of the parking brake means I can 'drift' it around corners almost as well.

I have these on my Impreza and they are amazing handling on wet and dry, they are also claimed to be very good in snow as well. The ride is so quiet compared to what I had it is night and day difference, I will continue to buy these whatever the model changes become.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?c=2&rcz=43082&ar=50&rf=true&rd=17&rc=OHCINT&cs=205&dVeh=dVeh&ra=searchForMostPopularTires.do&fl=&tc=YOKHVZ&yr=2011&pc=43516&vid=018806

Oh.....and a Subaru with proper tires will embarrass practically anything else in the snow, and the way they handle is just insane.

Edited by Pokey

If you don't prefer AWD (read: not 4X4) to RWD, then you haven't driven a proper AWD car in the snow. That, or you're full of shit.

"prefer" would be the key word

I would choose RWD over AWD in the snow... And no I've never driven any of the various AWD options that I can recall ( Based on what i've read, honda's AWD version is much less agressive than say subaru)

I refuse to buy a subaru AWD because their AWD cars are ugly, boring sedans and wagons.. I don't have the money for a COOL AWD car like an Audi R8...

then there is this

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/the-myth-of-the-all-powerful-all-wheel-drive-15202862

"In the snow, it is all about the tires," says automotive engineer Neil Hannemann, whose resume includes helping to develop the original Dodge Viper, creating a proof-of-concept vehicle for the original all-wheel-drive Chrysler minivan, and driving ice racers on frozen lakes. Having power to four wheels rather than two sounds like it would help the car handle, which is why you see those ads that infuriate me. But good tires beat AWD.

Some disagree, saying AWD helps bad-weather handling because it quells power on oversteer, the fishtailing rear-drive cars experience when a ham-footed driver is too rough on the accelerator. It is true that AWD is excellent at preventing the tail from stepping out under power. But this is not "improving handling." It's really aiding acceleration.

My friend andrew has a 09 WRX, he has 2 sets of wheels. during the summer months he runs custom wheels with dunlop star specs, and during the winter he runs stock wheels with blizzaks. There is nothing like having traction.

Edited by magley64

I have never found Subaru's seemingly lifetime supply of hood-scoops to be the most attractive cars on the market, but I wouldn't call many of them "ugly," nor "boring" unless you stick with the base trim models.  They are sedans and wagons to be sure, but that is what makes them awesome - the fact that you can have fun driving something that is practical.

I like cars.  A lot, actually.  But isn't a part of the reason we're each drawn to bikes the fact that they do things cars cannot, for a fraction of the price?  I would enjoy an STi, or a Vette in the garage, but frankly the latter would be nearly as impractical as the bike.  Why would I own 2 vehicles that do the same thing well, when the alternative is a vehicle that is still enjoyable to drive, but can also perform competently in the snow, and move 4 people in comfort while doing it?

I have never found Subaru's seemingly lifetime supply of hood-scoops to be the most attractive cars on the market, but I wouldn't call many of them "ugly," nor "boring" unless you stick with the base trim models.  They are sedans and wagons to be sure, but that is what makes them awesome - the fact that you can have fun driving something that is practical.

I like cars.  A lot, actually.  But isn't a part of the reason we're each drawn to bikes the fact that they do things cars cannot, for a fraction of the price?  I would enjoy an STi, or a Vette in the garage, but frankly the latter would be nearly as impractical as the bike.  Why would I own 2 vehicles that do the same thing well, when the alternative is a vehicle that is still enjoyable to drive, but can also perform competently in the snow, and move 4 people in comfort while doing it?

Everyone has different needs when referring to cars.. I have a fiancee... no typical need for more than 2 seats, sometimes I'll bring along nieces or nephews, so 4 seats is great, but i definitely don't need more than 2 doors.

Small sedans and wagons are, and always have been boring to me, which is half the reason I ended up dumping the STS, despite having similar power and handling characteristics to my Eldorado, I hated looking at it while walking up to it.