Novel new approach to combatting speeders

Scruit

When I was in University in the UK there was a long stretch of road going into Sheffield that had something like 7 or 8 sets of lights.   The lights were timed so that if you were doing the speed limit you would only his one red.  If you went too fast you'd hit the tail end of the red of the next light.   There was no active scanning/switching of lights, just the timing.   Once you got caught at one red, the timing meant you hit the first part of the green on the rest of the lights.   Worked out great.  Speeds were always close to the speed limit and everyone knew it and we would have greens almost all the way through.

Edited by Scruit

You would be amazed at the amount of people who do 50+ down 35 mph streets. Speeding on the freeway is acceptable, but speeding in rural areas is not.

I'm guessing there will be a bit more people running orange lights.

I agree with the idea, but ultimately will surely lead to nothing but a huge dose of fuel on a road rage fire. If this catches on everywhere, we'll all be in for damn good YouTubes of some leadfooted assfaces getting their noggins kicked in by a line of stop-n-go haters

if the average speed they see is 50 mph, why do they have the speed limit set so low at 35 mph? revenue generation?

this is a 4 lane road, not some narrow residential street. they could easily bump it up to 45 and just call it a day.

Edited by John

if the average speed they see is 50 mph, why do they have the speed limit set so low at 35 mph? revenue generation?

this is a 4 lane road, not some narrow residential street. they could easily bump it up to 45 and just call it a day.

There is way more factored into a speed limit than just number of lanes.

You would be amazed at the amount of people who do 50+ down 35 mph streets. Speeding on the freeway is acceptable, but speeding in rural areas is not.

I'm guessing there will be a bit more people running orange lights.

Do you mean urban areas?