Helmet color and safety

smccrory

I effing hate headlight modulators.  If  you ride with me please turn them off.

If they had any actual benefit, car and motorcycle manufacturers would offer them.

I also loathe modulators, and I am a big fan of the white helmet. Most who ride with me say they can always see my helmet.

I also loathe modulators,

Same here

i heard a story once(unknown if true) that a guy pulled out in from of a bike and killed the rider because he seen the lights flash from a modulator and thought the bike rider wanted him to go ahead.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

I'd be concerned about an inexperienced driver with music jamming, thinking the flashing lights are an emergency vehicle warranting an immediate slow-down or another dramatic move that could put me at risk. Maybe that happens really rarely, but I'm more inclined to bolt in a couple LED running/fog lights on the front.

I hate headlight modulators. Seems to me and those Ive spoken to is it draws too much attention to the point some people actually drive towards the flashing lights.

Now I do have a brake modulator but that is better attention grabbing to me since it's not constantly flashing , only when brakes are applied so people notice the change.

I also just find the high beam flashing in my face in low light to be extremely annoying.

How did this go from helmet colors to headlight modulators so fast? Lol

About helmet colors, I go for contrast. I have a blue jacket and a yellow helmet. Previously it was an orange helmet. I still don't assume that everyone will see me because of them though. They can't hurt but I still ride defensively. It's the only way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, there's no one single safety item that will instantly make your ride "safe", but that doesn't make those items not worthwhile if you remember to combine strategies. A combination of riding technique and safety equipment.

Helmet colors can impact visibility more than some might think. The surface area is small, but the higher an object is (within reason) the more likely drivers are to notice it, and a light-colored helmet defines your size and shape to help drivers determine your speed and distance.  There are trade-offs to colors, like Hi-viz colors being great in daylight but no different than other colors in low light, white is not as visible in daylight, but better all-around, etc.

For those who like the idea of headlight modulators, but not the actual execution, you could consider the P3 Photon Blaster lights. These LED auxiliary lights have a "conspicuity flicker", which means they flicker at a frequency that you can't see when looking at them, but will notice in the corner of your eye. 

Alternatively, you can use the SMIDSY maneuver to increase your visibility when coming up on someone turning left.

Edited by Agent3012

I effing hate headlight modulators.  If  you ride with me please turn them off.

If they had any actual benefit, car and motorcycle manufacturers would offer them.

the thing i dont like about the modulator, is that flashing a headlight means "go ahead".

so the car is pulling out of a parking lot or wahtever, sees the flashing light, thinks youre saying go ahead, and pulls right out in front of you...  the exact situation you were trying to avoid.

the thing i dont like about the modulator, is that flashing a headlight means "go ahead".

so the car is pulling out of a parking lot or wahtever, sees the flashing light, thinks youre saying go ahead, and pulls right out in front of you...  the exact situation you were trying to avoid.

I have the kisan headlight mod and I can tell you that I have never seen anyone confuse it with the flashing of the lights to tell someone that they can pull out. in fact, the times when it was confused with something else, they thought I was a police motorcycle coming at them.  I use it especially when I have the sun behind me...it really helps make me stand out against the glare of the sun .  I also have their tail light modulator and that works great also.

Like the poster above me, never seen anything like that come even close to happening. Not even trucks, who use that code more than anyone. I have about 25,000 miles on my modulator.