unOFFICIAL OR SoreButtapalooza to Mt. Rushmore.

Tonik

Can you place the EZ Pass in the clear spot in a tank bag (spot used for holding GPS units)? If not, can I zip tie it to my ram -mount GPS holder that is attached to my clutch reservoir? I don't mind buying an easy pass, but I don't want to buy a mount that I will only use once. I don't travel on toll roads very often, maybe once every few years.

Hell, just put it in your jacket pocket. Got a buddy that keeps his in his front faring glove box on his wing. I have mine Velcro'd to my dash but mainly because it is a handy place to have it.

Yes, exactly the plan...for the same reason.

The maps in the first post were a little skewed is the only reason i ask ...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................IS IT JUNE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 2talltim

Looks like either the front jacket pocket or tank bag may be the way to go. I may even be able to leave it in the glove box. Tim, this may be useful:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,29273.0.html

I thought about taping it to the lid of the glove box but didn't know if the black plastic would block the signal. Seems like the cell phone pocket of your jacket is the most popular option. Like everything else i'm porb over thinking this.

You add your vehicles to the EZ pass website. If it doesn't register at the toll, they'll just debit your account from the photo of your license plate. I had mine in my tank bag and it never tripped the scanner on any booth. I just rolled through, anyway.

Yup i made sure all our bikes, cars, and trailers were registered, i even put my parents cars in.

You add your vehicles to the EZ pass website. If it doesn't register at the toll, they'll just debit your account from the photo of your license plate. I had mine in my tank bag and it never tripped the scanner on any booth. I just rolled through, anyway.

That won't work in Ohio. They have gates. You have to sit there until someone strolls over then they take the number off the ezpass. Which brings me to my suggestion, the first couple of times you use it...go through a regular gate with a person on the booth. They take cash and the pass and you will have someone right there to help if it fubars.

I'm not sure of the intended route through Chicago, but I'd really suggest taking I-80 west to I-294 north. Taking 90 to 94 through town is a mess at the best of times and there will be stop and go traffic from Cermak to about Western. Then again at the Eden's Junction. 294 also has several oasis' that are easy on and off in case we need to regroup, fuel, whatever. 

There aren't a lot of easy on / off fuel stops on 90 / 94 until you get pretty far north. Getting off south of town lands you in some less than savory areas.

Just before we head out, it'd be wise to check the current construction map to avoid whichever route has the most construction on it. A little road work can add hours to the ride through town.

The Skyway Toll is about $2.00 for iPass users and $4.00 for non users. Indiana also has a toll here also, $0.40. Dunno why it's not on the map Tonik posted a link to. It's at the base of the bridge crossing the Calumet River, right after the Illinois / Indiana line.

Personally, I'm not at all worried about the costs - either way is gonna cost a small amount. I just don't wanna sit in traffic for an extra hour plus. My office was in Glenview, Illinois for 27 years and drove both routes weekly - both took about the same amount of time when there was no construction and off rush hour, but 294 was always less traffic and generally faster if there was any amount of traffic.

Edited by Earache

I have a new idea, and I think it might be borderline genius.  Let's go out there on the southern route and avoid most all of Chicago, we have enough to worry about doing the Iron Butt. Then get Kringles on the way back which means we will be going through Chicago on Sunday afternoon. Mar's is open 9 to 7 on Sunday's.

Go out like this:  http://goo.gl/maps/zDDu8

It's about 15 minutes longer NOT counting Chicago traffic.

Cost isn't a issue for me either, time is money in my book. Obviously the way out is where we want to make the best time. I don't want dictate too much on this trip because honestly the biggest perk of this trip for me is that I'm not the planner and I don't have to play tour guide, I just want to follow the leader and enjoy the journey. Since I travel a lot people always look to me for directions or what to do and I just want a change from that. So I don't really care which way we go and when.

Edited by 2talltim

Same as me just along for the ride but my bike has GPS if we need it I also have a GoPro 3 on my bike I just need to pick up a few extra memory cards I’m figuring we will be lucky if we finish up the first day under 18 hours nothing ever gos exactly as planned. I do not need to be back at work until Wednesday so everything is ok with me

Edited by HeavyDuty

As long as Earache doesn't panic over the Kringle delay we will defiantly take the southern routel.  It's 15.5 hours in the saddle so yea 18 or so sounds about right. Leaving at 4 am that puts us at the hotel about 10 pm. I have GPS on my phone that does not require a data connection so we have that covered just fine.  I'll plug all the routes into it before we leave, it just mounts to my handle bars.

As long as Earache doesn't panic over the Kringle delay we will defiantly take the southern routel. It's 15.5 hours in the saddle so yea 18 or so sounds about right. Leaving at 4 am that puts us at the hotel about 10 pm. I have GPS on my phone that does not require a data connection so we have that covered just fine. I'll plug all the routes into it before we leave, it just mounts to my handle bars.

I'll have my Garmin on my bike also if a backup is needed Edited by 2talltim

As long as Earache doesn't panic over the Kringle delay we will defiantly take the southern routel.....

What?!?!? No kringle?!?!?!?!? :hungry:

That would definitely be a better route to avoid delays and traffic, no doubt.

Not sure yet, but I may continue westward to Glacier National Park, Idaho, Oregon, etc after Sturgis. So don't worry about making a route just to get kringle just for me. But when I get some, I'm posting pics here to make all jealous.

What?!?!? No kringle?!?!?!?!? :hungry:

That would definitely be a better route to avoid delays and traffic, no doubt.

Not sure yet, but I may continue westward to Glacier National Park, Idaho, Oregon, etc after Sturgis. So don't worry about making a route just to get kringle just for me. But when I get some, I'm posting pics here to make all jealous.

I hate you, now I want to take a few extra days off and continue with you.

Back from the Epic Death March to the porcelain goddess every half hour for the last two days. Worst flippin flu ever. First case in prolly 15 years. If not too late, vote is for the simple design shirt. Rooms booked for the first 3. Son in law has permission from my daughter to go so another definite ButtaPaloozer. Your scoot won't be lonely Heavy as he too will be on a Harley. Tim you got a reprieve as now you are not the youngest by much. He is 39. I like the idea of the southern route out but am fine with whatever. Uncovered the old girl and discovered the coating peeling off of windshield. Crap.....it's only 20 years old. Time for a new one. Will pick up ez passes at a service plaza before trip rather than order. If orders for shirts are being taken.3 shirts xl please.

Simple design is the T-Shirt choice, be a few days before I have ordering info. Wife is slammed at work. If we all agree on a color we can order together and they will only be like 12-15 bucks each. I will post samples of white, a silver gray and black.  The silver gray is pretty slick but we shall see.  Southern route for sure on the way out. I updated the original post with the correct routes for Thursday, the change in hotel on Friday from Deadwood to Sturgis and also Sunday for the Kringle run.

Edited by Tonik

Im in for the silver/gray also I have to many black ones already Its the Harley thing and the white ones never make it past the first place I stop and eat or drink LOL Tokin Thanks for taking care of all the planning It sure makes things a lot easier for the rest of us.