unOFFICIAL OR SoreButtapalooza to Mt. Rushmore.

Tonik

Man, I could almost drive the sag for you all on the way out. I will be taking the girls West at the same time. Mini-van, camping gear, bikes, grill, and I am going to trailer a bike for at least one day ride in Rushmore area. I am sure the girls will want to chill by the pool at least once a weak so they can get a bath.

Well we do currently have a transportation issue for the hookers and blow. Any room left in the mini van for that?

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, this winter had been especially hard on me. New bike that I only got two thousand on before it snowed plus it's too big to keep here inI the winter so I can't even visit it or do stuff to it. got lots of stuff for it just sitting on the basement.

I know I'm a newb and nobody knows me around here, but I'm interested in the 4 day trip. I have an FJR and I'm used to doing long days in the saddle, in fact, I'd plan on being home the fourth day, as I live in the Toledo area. Sounds like a good way to get some "western exposure" in a minimal amount of time.

Ok, added the new guy to list. One thing PhilD'oh!, part of what we are doing is hitting 1K in a day. You being in Western Ohio you are going to need to ride around before we pick you up on the turnpike, if you want that 1000 mile Iron Butt patch. Also, you will be riding home on your own, you are currently the only four day person.  Not trying to talk you out of it, you are more than welcome. Just making sure you know what is up.

Edited by Tonik

Just thought I would throw this out there: The second day mileage is just short of the requirements for also getting the butt burner certificate. (1500 miles in 36 hours)

Depends where you start, from the gas station where I am getting my first gas by my house I am 20 miles over. Day two is actually 460 miles.  However, the 36 hours will be a problem.....Day two includes sight seeing and picture taking and stuff like that so time might be an issue.  It's possible but we would have to sleep less the first night and get up early.

If the timing becomes a problem for the butt burner certification, so be it. The sight seeing and good riding venues are more important than another certification for the same ride. I can use the butt burner certification as an excuse for another long ride at some point in the future.

Ok, added the new guy to list. One thing PhilD'oh!, part of what we are doing is hitting 1K in a day. You being in Western Ohio you are going to need to ride around before we pick you up on the turnpike, if you want that 1000 mile Iron Butt patch. Also, you will be riding home on your own, you are currently the only four day person.  Not trying to talk you out of it, you are more than welcome. Just making sure you know what is up.

Cool. I don't really need the SS1k cert, I'm just in it to get west of the Mississippi for a change. I may consider doing the five dayer, but vacation time for me comes dear. Put me down as a "maybe" for now. Unfortunately, with my job I may not know if I'll get the time off until the week before. Life of a corporate pilot. Sigh.

Also looking at your maps i noticed you haven't included iron mountian rd (16A) in either day. That was one of my favorites out there. That's were the pig tail bridges and all the rushmore view points with tunnels are.

Do it. Life is short!

Its still on the burner, i'm still doing the gap trip and i need to see how vacation days pan out. I would have to take 3 one days for the thursday-sunday gap trip, then burn a weeks vacation for the following week and a extra one day for the Monday you guys return. Or take  two weeks and a burn my floating birthday holiday for the Monday. PLus we still have a maybe Myrtle beach trip planned with the kids the 5 days before the gap trip....OH BOY!!!!

This section of road is a must, but you almost must take it in both directions in order not miss anything.

http://goo.gl/maps/HVDPl

Appreciate the heads up. I will take any input I can get. Wait, that didn't sound right.  That section of the road is supposed to be on day two...my google map creating messed up.  Fixed in the original post.