OR Indoor GP Go Karts track day Jan 24

Mojoe

The vids are shit. I'll have to watch them again with the sound of. Sounded like the GoPro was rattling around in the case the whole time.

Those carts were vibrating pretty good at speed.

That was a blast. Had to down an ibuprofen before bed. :lol:

We beat those carts like rented mules.

Just finished racing with OMRL there.

The karts were more impressive than I expected. The lack of grip was weird, but it was weird for everyone.

I turned my fastest lap in my second session, then kept making mistakes trying to e more aggressive. Oops.

I would consider a winter league, but if they're not opening until march, this winter is kind of shot. Bike racing starts in April.

I wish I could have made it last night. I had an interview at 2:30 yesterday and thought I would have plenty of time to get there afterwards but I didn't get out of the interview til 5:15. It looks like it was a good time

What a blast. I still can't believe I managed to shave 1.5 seconds to get jbot. Of course it was fun. It's a race track.

Thanks for the pics. Funny to actually see myself in some.

I visited a few days prior to do some photos. Check them out and like my Facebook page. Pretty please.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.577780132307225.1073741907.109997875752122&type=1&l=43a4f3b0e5

so now that i'm home and had some time to type some of this out

1. thanks to all the staff that was very... laissez faire (in a good way) with some of our contact during the heats and races, and for patiently taking care of the timing issues

2. thanks to mojoe for putting this together and handing out the goodies

3. it was most excellent to see you guys again

the "qualifying" heats/practice were good times, despite the timing issues that messed some people up in the placement for the races.  I was second in my group(s) the during the practice (I think howie was 1st, probably cause of that epic beard), and got moved into the 1st group for the race.  During the race, I was getting chased down like some sad plump puppy in the streets of korea by Mikey B and eventually I either caved under pressure and spun out or got tangled up with someone and never saw him again after he passed me.  My times during that race was still good enough for 2nd in the last race which was to be determined by placement rather than times (unlike the last 2 events, which was strictly by fastest lap time).  We did a nascar style start which is basically the format where we get paraded around to the starting line by the pace car and then we go on the green flag.  Mike and I got away pretty clean, and we were involved in our own little race until we ran into lap traffic and he got tangled up with someone.

After that, I was out front for a while until Mojoe in his beastly kart came up on me.  He and I exchanged some kart fluids and went back and forth for the front spot until he fell away at some point (I'm not sure what happened).  He had the slightly stronger kart and I had the slightly under powered one (from what people told me that had driven it before) and we went back and forth changing positions in the braking/accel areas.  After my battle with Mikey and Mojoe, I didn't get to "race" with anyone other than lap traffic and then the race was over all too soon.  My laptimes started at 44.8 in the first session, 44.4 (or something like that) in the second session, and my best during the last race was a 43.99 or something similar.  I think the only one that had a faster laptime than me (in our group anyway) was Joe (vw151) with a best lap time of 43.97 despite a 80ish lb weight disadvantage compared to me which is pretty damn impressive.  For me, the track was really slick so my fastest time was with the slowest kart, which helped me to not spin out like I did the last 2 sessions.

Anyway, it was fun winning the race.  Never happens to me when it matters lol.

Everyone should buy the pre-season membership package thingamabob as it's a good deal.

I think this is the link if it hasn't been linked already

http://gpindoor.com/pre-opening-membership-special/

Had a great time with OMRL today. First time there and damn it's slick takes some getting used to. Broke into the 41's and got second overall with the fastest lap of the day. Corner workers were only blue flagging for the leader and fellow employee. Great time anyway. Just hate losing when I felt I could win it.

so now that i'm home and had some time to type some of this out

1. thanks to all the staff that was very... laissez faire (in a good way) with some of our contact during the heats and races, and for patiently taking care of the timing issues

2. thanks to mojoe for putting this together and handing out the goodies

3. it was most excellent to see you guys again

the "qualifying" heats/practice were good times, despite the timing issues that messed some people up in the placement for the races.  I was second in my group(s) the during the practice (I think howie was 1st, probably cause of that epic beard), and got moved into the 1st group for the race.  During the race, I was getting chased down like some sad plump puppy in the streets of korea by Mikey B and eventually I either caved under pressure and spun out or got tangled up with someone and never saw him again after he passed me.  My times during that race was still good enough for 2nd in the last race which was to be determined by placement rather than times (unlike the last 2 events, which was strictly by fastest lap time).  We did a nascar style start which is basically the format where we get paraded around to the starting line by the pace car and then we go on the green flag.  Mike and I got away pretty clean, and we were involved in our own little race until we ran into lap traffic and he got tangled up with someone.

After that, I was out front for a while until Mojoe in his beastly kart came up on me.  He and I exchanged some kart fluids and went back and forth for the front spot until he fell away at some point (I'm not sure what happened).  He had the slightly stronger kart and I had the slightly under powered one (from what people told me that had driven it before) and we went back and forth changing positions in the braking/accel areas.  After my battle with Mikey and Mojoe, I didn't get to "race" with anyone other than lap traffic and then the race was over all too soon.  My laptimes started at 44.8 in the first session, 44.4 (or something like that) in the second session, and my best during the last race was a 43.99 or something similar.  I think the only one that had a faster laptime than me (in our group anyway) was Joe (vw151) with a best lap time of 43.97 despite a 80ish lb weight disadvantage compared to me which is pretty damn impressive.  For me, the track was really slick so my fastest time was with the slowest kart, which helped me to not spin out like I did the last 2 sessions.

Anyway, it was fun winning the race.  Never happens to me when it matters lol.

Everyone should buy the pre-season membership package thingamabob as it's a good deal.

I think this is the link if it hasn't been linked already

http://gpindoor.com/pre-opening-membership-special/

I've been pre-registered since December and I just moved to Indianapolis.  I plan to try to hit this place whenever I'm back into town.    I had a great time too Jbot.   I was in the 46s first session 45s second session and somehow I pulled out a 43.921 in the last session along with some 44s.  Getting to the front for the "race" didn't even come close since I started in 7th. I had a great time trying to sort out each part of the track and find out where there was grip and where there wasn't   It was also fun trying to negotiate passes and figure out how to fend off people from behind me.   2x I remember going down the back straight side by side with someone and getting put into the wall way before the turn.   And of course if someone is behind you coming out of a fast section you just knew they were gonna try and shoot down the inside of you, trying to figure out how to not end up stuck on the wall seemed to be the key to fending people off.  Otherwise, the other 1/2 of the time I got some clean laps and had a lot of fun just trying to get faster and faster.   Definitely an addicting thing when you attach times to the experience.   

Had a great time with OMRL today. First time there and damn it's slick takes some getting used to. Broke into the 41's and got second overall with the fastest lap of the day. Corner workers were only blue flagging for the leader and fellow employee. Great time anyway. Just hate losing when I felt I could win it.

Jesus Christ, you were running 41's? What were the employees running?

Jesus Christ, you were running 41's? What were the employees running?

Kent who is the president of OMRL and the track manager of the kart place ran .001 faster than me sometime today but not in the final. I was .5 second faster in the final

Started off with practice session running 44's. Then qualifying heat 1 ran 42.7.

Then we ran two races for position best around 42.4. Started 4th in the final and finished 2nd with best of 41.9 I think. Maybe faster. 100% sure I was in the 41's for sure.

Trick is to minimize sliding and hug the front end to the barriers when sliding.

Kent who is the president of OMRL and the track manager of the kart place ran .001 faster than me sometime today but not in the final. I was .5 second faster in the final

Started off with practice session running 44's. Then qualifying heat 1 ran 42.7.

Then we ran two races for position best around 42.4. Started 4th in the final and finished 2nd with best of 41.9 I think. Maybe faster. 100% sure I was in the 41's for sure.

Trick is to minimize sliding and hug the front end to the barriers when sliding.

Yeah biggie was flying around there today.. Best I could do was a 42.7... But that was on "the best kart" as I was told.. It was like bumper karts out there for one of our heats and I've got it all on the GoPro. Lol

If they get the grip issue worked out, it will be a fun place!

Those dude were kind of a funny situation. I was ok with them joining us, because I had thought about trying to jump in with a group also last week. They worked at Honda and were in town from Japan. I only saw one in the fast group and they seemed to play nice. I don't recall seeing after the first NASCAR race, or leave for that matter. 

If they get the grip issue worked out, it will be a fun place!

It's fun now, just probably a bit frustrating for the average joe who would walk in without also being a speed enthusiast.

Maybe I'm not giving joe public enough credit, but I think a solid 33% of the population would spin out in every turn and not grasp the concept of steering into the skid. But I'm surely biased after 6 hours on 71 yesterday... People were spinning out just trying to go straight!

If anyone cares, I think my best time was in the low 44's. maybe a high 43. Never came near the front in any of my heat races though. I got spun in traffic early in both races, then spun myself a few times trying to catch up.

Edited by redkow97