VFR 800 2014 8th gen?

NinjaDoc

Looks like its back with some spice added but prety much same soul, new suspension, ABS, TCS, Lighter, Better low end and mid range, standard heating grips, LED head & tail lights adjustable seats, new set of wheels, overall better touring oriented package if price remains reasonable

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/2014-honda-vfr800f/23894.html

Edited by NinjaDoc

I don't know why they didn't just wrap the 1200 motor in a lighter, shorter chassis and give it chain drive. That engine is supposedly smaller than the 800 (or maybe that was marketing hype.) This bike looks nice but it's the same core (engine & frame) with some newer stuff added on.

Honda is admitting a mistake with the VFR1200. If this is all they were going to do with the 800, they should have brought it out in 2010.

• Upvote 1

I wish they would have used that 1200 motor to create a better sport-touring bike. I know they sell hard bags for the vfr1200, but it is not as comfortable as the st1300. The st1300 is old, and Honda has relinquished the sport-touring segment.

yea those already having the vfr wont feel much need for this bike, but for the future gen who want to move to a lighter sporty tourer this will be a good option i guess. they kind of tweaked the suspension and made it lighter and narrower while adding some touring titbits like grip warmer etc. This definitely is not an upgrade for current vfr owners :)

If you guys haven't noticed Honda has really dropped the ball in all segments. I no longer think honda first for everything like I did for 2 decades or more. Now they are just one of many options.

I wish for them to use their capabilities and get back to the front. Short of MotoGP, I don't seem them as a leader in any category except sales volume.

Edited by turnone
  • Upvote 2

I unfortunately agree. My last 3 bikes were Hondas. They all had a really good track record for reliability. For my last bike purchase, it came between a Yamaha and a Kawasaki for a sport-touring bike (BMW K1600GT was out of my price range for a 2nd bike). Now even the Goldwing is getting beaten by the BMW K1600GTL. I never thought anyone would best the Wing in the luxury touring segment.

If you guys haven't noticed Honda has really dropped the ball in all segments. I no longer think honda first for everything like I did for 2 decades or more. Now they are just one of many options.

I wish for them to use their capabilities and get back to the front. Short of MotoGP, I don't seem them as a leader in any category except sales volume.

They have done some good things but they misjudge this market a lot.

I unfortunately agree. My last 3 bikes were Hondas. They all had a really good track record for reliability. For my last bike purchase, it came between a Yamaha and a Kawasaki for a sport-touring bike (BMW K1600GT was out of my price range for a 2nd bike). Now even the Goldwing is getting beaten by the BMW K1600GTL. I never thought anyone would best the Wing in the luxury touring segment.

But how long has the 'wing gone without a substantial update?

But how long has the 'wing gone without a substantial update?

That's exactly the problem, they don't update and when they do, it's barely to catch up, nothing to lead!!! I was a walking talking spokesman for Honda. Always my number 1, not anymore.

They have done some good things but they misjudge this market a lot.

It's just Honda doing Honda things.

Their design people need to be fired. They haven't made a genuinely attractive new bike, outside of the re-designed Sabre cruiser, for years. The VFR1200 is fugly, bulbous, and sounds like a can-opener, the DN-01 (nice technoscooter, Captain Kirk: set phasers to "kill yourself") is possibly the dumbest thing I've seen on two wheels, no one owns a Fury... only Honda that I sorta-kinda want right now is a CB1000R, and they had to go all the way back to the early 80s for inspiration on that.

They need to stop trying to be so avant-garde and special-snowflake-ey with their designs and get back to what made the Red Wing popular in the first place -- building bikes that were flat-out better than the competition.

It's just Honda doing Honda things.

Their design people need to be fired. They haven't made a genuinely attractive new bike, outside of the re-designed Sabre cruiser, for years. The VFR1200 is fugly, bulbous, and sounds like a can-opener, the DN-01 (nice technoscooter, Captain Kirk: set phasers to "kill yourself") is possibly the dumbest thing I've seen on two wheels, no one owns a Fury... only Honda that I sorta-kinda want right now is a CB1000R, and they had to go all the way back to the early 80s for inspiration on that.

They need to stop trying to be so avant-garde and special-snowflake-ey with their designs and get back to what made the Red Wing popular in the first place -- building bikes that were flat-out better than the competition.

They've had some pockets of goodness.  I thought the NC700X was interesting - almost a new take on the standard.  The CB1100 was a great throwback and fairly well done - rumor is it'll get a 6th gear and more colors in 2014.  The CBR250 is a great beginner bike.

Their higher end stuff, strangely, is where they struggle.  The Goldwing, ST are long in the tooth and the F6b is a retread.  The new Valk is a joke.  We've covered the abysmal VFR12.

Honda sells a ton of motorcycles.  People buy them for top notch fit/finish, reliability, excellent engineering, & good resale value.  They are slow to introduce things like slipper clutches, TC, & selectable fuel maps.

I think Honda tries too much to reshape the motorcycle market and create new segments (they have had some major misses as listed above), where a company like Kawasaki is more focused on building what people want today.

^^^

My cbr certainly isn't the most exciting bike I've owned.  It has VERY good handling manners and the Combined (not linked) ABS is pretty awesome.

I like it a lot, but don't love it.  It'll be in my garage for at least 1 more season, after that who knows.