Learn to ride a motorcycle. Sign-ups open on February 14th.

JackFlash

2014 Registration begins on February 14, 2014, at 8 a.m.

I waited two days after registration opened and it was

already booked up through June.  Don't wait to sign up.

Pick the course that is right for you.

Rider Courses

• Basic Rider (BRC)

For newer riders and those wanting to learn how to ride, the BRC is the place to start.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/basic_rider.stm

• Basic Rider Course for Returning Riders (BRC-RR)

For riders 18 and over who have been riding on a temporary permit for at least a year,

or who are starting to ride again after an extended time away from riding, the Returning

Rider BRC (BRC-RR) is the course to take.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/BRC-RR.stm

• Basic Rider Course - 2 (BRC-2)

Motorcycle safety reports indicate that 75% of motorcycle crashes involve "experienced" riders.

Never rode 2-UP but you met a sweetie that wants to ride with you?

Be safer with this course.

Do you already have your motorcycle endorsement and your own motorcycle? Then take

the Basic Rider Course-2 (BRC-2) as an early-season refresher, to bond with that

new-to-you motorcycle, or to gain experience and improve control while riding with a

passenger.

This course is designed for the experienced/endorsed rider (and co-rider) who

want to learn more about reducing the risk of riding and practice skills under the watchful

and helpful eye of a trained instructor.

BRC-2 Highlights

6-hour, one-day, range-only course (no formal classroom session)
                        Requires motorcycle license or endorsement
                        Use your own 2-wheeled motorcycle
                        Passengers allowed

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/BRC2.stm

• Advanced Rider (ARC)

Do you already have your motorcycle endorsement and your own motorcycle?  Are you

very comfortable with how your motorcycle handles and have over 1,000 miles of

experience on it?  If you’re ready to learn how to ride your motorcycle better, take the

Advanced Rider Course (ARC).

ARC Highlights

9-hour, one-day course
    Requires motorcycle license or endorsement
    Use your own 2-wheeled motorcycle

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/advanced_rider.stm

Please note that the Advanced Rider Course was not offered at the beginning of the

sign-up period last year.  The course was however added to the schedule later in the year.

Courses may be added as the season progresses so don't forget to check often for a

course that you may be interested in that has not yet been listed or is filled up.

Motorcycle Ohio homepage: http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/index.stm

Many answers:  http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/motorcycle-license.php#Which-Ohio-Motorcycle-License-is-Right-for-You

Note:  The BRC is $50 and no longer $25 as listed in the above link.

1-800-83-RIDER

• Upvote 2

Highly recommend the ARC. I took it last year and loved it. 

I'm always looking to better my riding skills, would you mind expanding on this course a little bit? 

What stuck with you the most? Were you challenged? Did you feel it was worth the expense? 

I'm always looking to better my riding skills, would you mind expanding on this course a little bit? 

What stuck with you the most? Were you challenged? Did you feel it was worth the expense? 

$50 is a pretty minimal expense for a 9 hour class.

In my experience it was mostly a refresher of the Basic Course with a chance to test/practice safety skills in a controlled setting. There is alot less talking and more doing that the Basic course and we did look at some more advanced skills like riding a course with one hand. 

I thought is was worth the day. 

Craig

I took the ARC last year and will take it again with my newest bike this year. You definitely get more riding in and I benefitted a lot from the turning/leaning drills. I think anything that exercises your skills in a safe environment is money and time well spent.

Note that Iron Pony, AD Farrow and others also provide these classes - something to remember once the state classes fill up. They cost more, but usually have better equipment and lower student to teacher ratios.

Just an idea but...

Last year they were not planning any Advanced Rider Courses

in Columbus without enough riders to sign up. 

How many of you would be interested in taking the Advanced Rider Course

this season?  Perhaps we could arrange one specifically for OhioRiders, and

perhaps we could arrange more than one if enough of us are interested.

Post up if you would like to take the class, so one of us can make a call to see

what can be arranged after the weather warms up.

Thanks for the heads up, Jack.

I did BRC-2 last year.  I would be interested in ARC, if the dates line up.

Okay, Tigerpaw.  That's one. 

Me.  That's two.

If there would be enough for two classes, we could try to

make one early and one later for those needing more

time for arrangements.

$50 is a pretty minimal expense for a 9 hour class.

In my experience it was mostly a refresher of the Basic Course with a chance to test/practice safety skills in a controlled setting. There is alot less talking and more doing that the Basic course and we did look at some more advanced skills like riding a course with one hand. 

I thought is was worth the day. 

Craig

I don't remember anything about riding with one hand. 

I did the ARC last year and plan on doing it again this year. It was a great way to spend $50 and 9 hours.  I will be looking for early dates as it is a great way to shake the off-sdeason rust off.

I'll probably do it again also. Let me know when you plan to do it. 

It was definitely worth $50. Nothing really stuck out more than anything else. Just a good day of refreshing your skills. Great way to start the riding season. 

Its so great to hear that the BRC books up so fast it is kind of disappointing to hear that they didnt have enough riders for the ARC though.  With all the idiot drivers there are in Ohio, I cant imagine my skills on a bike ever being so great that I dont feel theres anything more than I can learn.

• Upvote 1

...it is kind of disappointing to hear that they didnt have enough riders for the ARC though. 

I think they offered the ARC because of a phone call from someone on here.

I don't remember the details, but it wasn't offered until it was asked about, I

don't think. 

Took the ARC a few years ago. It's worth it and I did pick up on a few things with low speed manevering. One in particular that I'd always done in the dirt, but it never even clicked for street riding until the ARC's example....sliding off the seat towards the outside of your turn to greatly shorten your turning radius. Again, this is a low speed tactic so don't try it on the highway unless you're just done living.

I think they offered the ARC because of a phone call from someone on here.

I don't remember the details, but it wasn't offered until it was asked about, I

don't think. 

Is it common for it to be difficult to find an ARC to enroll in?  

Edited by Bakemono

Last year the ARC wasn't offered right away. We had to keep checking back on the website. It was worth the wait and the $50 cost of admission. I will definitely take it again. I have been talking to my brother and dad about also taking the ARC.