losing weight (the bike, not me)

redkow97

He's not lying about this center-stand, though. You have to put a lot of heft into it -- I'm well over 300 lbs and I've stood directly on the thing, with one foot, and it still took a pretty solid jerk backwards to get it up onto the stand.

It can be done, but I'd shudder to think about what it'd take to do it without 3 decades of poor nutrition.

I always lift upwards from the seat area not backwards while pressing on the stand and they come up like nothing. Lifting backwards is way more difficult.

My bandit had the same stand in roughly the same place and while it wasn't super easy, it was very possible.then I changed the shock, the bike sat up higher and the center stand became useless.

that's another consideration as well.

I raised the rear on my EX500, and the center stand would have the rear wheel still sitting on the ground at full extension.  I wouldn't mind raising the rear of the Katana a tad either.

A guy on KatRiders.com has a ratted out 750 that weighs less than his stock 600.  He cut the sub-frame behind the seat, but other than that, I'm copying a lot of his ideas.

the fairings, gauges, headlight, and center stand should net a 30 lbs. loss pretty easily.  That's factoring in the weight of the replacement light and gauges.

• 2 weeks later...

I ditched the stock exhaust on mine for a shorty pipe. It increased engine vibration a bit and was a lot louder. I didn't have any problems with the cops over it.  Center stand is at least 10lbs I think.  One thing I always to do was was to put a bandit 1200 motor in it. I've read that it bolts in almost straight up without much modification. Plastics would need to be modded to fit but it sounds like you aren't using those anyway. That Bandit motor would help you hp to weight ratio