Rebuild the CBR or buy something else?

tyler524

Most of you guys know that I blew up the CBR and never made it out to the track last year. I am really wanting to get back out this year and am weigh my options. I have been thinking about buying a built up track bike and staying with a 600 or going with an SV. The CBR needs a new motor or I need to rebuild what is there now I am thinking that I bent a rod which may mean that the block could be junk anyways. If I buy something new, I would like to try to stick to about $3,500 or less. I don't know if it is worth dumping the money into the CBR since I never upgraded the suspension and that is even more money that needs to go into it. It seems like it is much harder to find parts for the Honda and I don't think it has much chance at being competitive without a lot money being dumped into it. What do you guys think is a better move? Also, if you have any leads on any track bikes, let me know. I have been checking WERA classifieds and watching the Motoseries site. 

Exactly what grenaded in the motor? Top end go and you sucked a valve? Lose time and crash valves and pistons? Top end rebuilds can be done on the cheap with good used stock parts. You should drop the motor and yank at least the head off and see what you're dealing with.

Exactly what grenaded in the motor? Top end go and you sucked a valve? Lose time and crash valves and pistons? Top end rebuilds can be done on the cheap with good used stock parts. You should drop the motor and yank at least the head off and see what you're dealing with.

+1

Dropping a motor cost $0 and a little time.

I am pretty sure it is a bottom end knock. I didn't see anything when pulled the valve cover but it is hard to see anything without stripping the head down. I haven't been overly motivated to tear it down. I do know that the rings need replaced also. Before it happened, I was starting to get some major blow by and was down a bit on compression. Here is a video of what it sounded like before I started tearing the bike down.

Edited by tyler524

I spun a bearing and messed up my lower case. Fubard the thrust plate. I ended up tearing down the whole motor. It would have cost me $700 in used parts. Found a used motor for $1k. But I wouldn't have known without tearing down the engine. It could have been just $250 in parts which would have made that the better route.

Unless you are looking for an excuse to get a new bike, you need to at least see what you are dealing with. Tear it down.

I did a quick look on ebay and found a bunch of complete motors from 500-650. I'm sure you can find a low milage motor and drop it in. I wouldn't spend the time or money to rebuild the motor. You can sell off parts that are still good. Plus a motor swap is really easy.

Buying a  more competitive bike for 3500 is not going to happen and most of the time you will end up buying someone else's problems.

I did a quick look on ebay and found a bunch of complete motors from 500-650. I'm sure you can find a low milage motor and drop it in. I wouldn't spend the time or money to rebuild the motor. You can sell off parts that are still good. Plus a motor swap is really easy.

Buying a  more competitive bike for 3500 is not going to happen and most of the time you will end up buying someone else's problems.

The ones that I seen in that range are also charing $150-200 to ship them. From what I have seen, $3500 can defiinitely get you something decent if you don't care about only have a bill of sale. I can also push the budget a bit to 4k if I found something that I thought was worth it. I will end up parting out the CBR if I do get something new and that will more than cover the gap price wise.

I do find it odd at how hard it is to find used parts for a CBR. I could go walk around the block and find 8 gsxr engines laying on the side of the road, but for some reason the CBR stuff is really hard to come by.

This was a big issue for me that I found. If you break something at the track, good luck finding anyone with anything that might fit. There are definitely parts out there for them but everything seems more expensive than R6 or GSXR parts.

I do find it odd at how hard it is to find used parts for a CBR. I could go walk around the block and find 8 gsxr engines laying on the side of the road, but for some reason the CBR stuff is really hard to come by.

Welcome to the world of of us kawi owners. We go through the same stuff

Edited by ZxHooligan

Tear apart the engine and see what it will take to fix....if it is too much, then replace it or part out the bike.  The scarcity of parts may play into your favor parting it out....or there may also be less demand.  

There were a few NICE 06/07 gsxr 600 that sold over the winter for less than $3500....think one was $2500, I was really tempted to "upgrade" but I've settled into the fact that the best upgrade will be more tracktime.  For that price you seem to have a choice between a real nice bike with a couple goodies or a bike that has a lot done, but has been down a couple times.  Seems like GSXR's are the most common in that price range...R6's in the $3500 range seem to be 05's and older.  

Buy Ron's bike....add a couple parts and you could have an A and B bike.