Anyone ever try Water Wetter?

jd724

I've used it in the cars before. It did make them run a bit cooler. Wondering if anyone ever tried it in a bike.  Not havin any heat issues but that Z does heat up on hot days when I'm stopped in traffic.

In my street application it did have value. I ran it in my RC51, which was notorious for running hot thanks to an incredibly retarded radiator configuration. Saw a several degree temperature difference, though in the grand scheme of things I still got baked thighs thanks to the aforementioned radiator location. But the bike did in fact run cooler with it. 

In my street application it did have value. I ran it in my RC51, which was notorious for running hot thanks to an incredibly retarded radiator configuration. Saw a several degree temperature difference, though in the grand scheme of things I still got baked thighs thanks to the aforementioned radiator location. But the bike did in fact run cooler with it. 

VFR 5th gens and 6th gen have the same side mounted radiators like the RC51 and tend to run hot. I have used in my 5th gen and it improved temps around 10 or so degrees.

though in the grand scheme of things I still got baked thighs

If you had bought me two beers and let me take a leak in your radiator you still would have had burnt thighs.

This is why I think other than track/high performance situations this stuff is not going to solve the real problem the OP is talking about. The issues that people are trying to solve will not be solved by a couple of degrees in lower engine temps. The issues are usually sitting at a light with crap air flow designs when the fan kicks in. My Nomad did exactly that, I would be sitting at a light knowing it was going to happen...that the fan was going to kick in and I was going to get toasted. Only thing that can fix that is redirecting the air and managing the air better. Think about it....the amount of heat coming from the engine does not change with the addition of this stuff, in fact if it actually works in lowering the engine temp that heat has to go somewhere right? Law of conservation of energy. So there will be MORE heat in the water which will be more heat coming out from the radiator when the fan kicks in.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

If you run WaterWetter in your street bike, you'll need to purge it in the winter months so nothing bursts from freeze ( unless it's stored in a heated garage ).

These 14's have huge front fenders that take up space in front of the radiator.  A common problem on these, so some owners swap it out with a ZX10 replacement fender.   websearch it and you'll find quite a bit of talk/info -- Now, brackets to retrofit the ZX10 fender on the 14 may prove tough to find though.  I looked into doing this years ago for my '08 but the only people manufacturing these brackets were other forum members and they wouldn't produce any without a group buy in to keep materials cheaper, so I didn't pursue it any further since then.   If you go for it, let me know what you find. I'd still like to do this as it's supposed to help drop the temps a couple notches on the meter ( when rolling that is, not sitting in traffic - only help for that is WaterWetter, Engine Ice, or the like ).

Edited by Hellmutt

The heat coming off the engine is no big deal to me. I'm used to it.  I was just watching my temp gauge climb as I'm going light to light on some 90 degree days.  The gauge would go all the way up to one away from the top.  The goal was to try and keep it running a bit cooler over all and to keep that gauge from climbing to the top when I'm sitting in traffic.  If this will do the trick or make a big diff in when I'm sitting in raffic then maybe I'll try some when I change my coolant. I gotta say, thanks guys. I'm some what of  newb. I just started riding again a few years ago after a 20+ years. This Z is my first water cooled bike. I appreciate your patience and knowledge.

Twin fans with manual added switch is probably the best way to go. Increase air flow equals better heat transfer. Also with the manual switch you can start the fan earlier. Which means it doesn't have to catch up with itself

Twin fans with manual added switch is probably the best way to go. Increase air flow equals better heat transfer. Also with the manual switch you can start the fan earlier. Which means it doesn't have to catch up with itself

This just reminded me of one thing that boggles me brain pan.....ZX14's ( at least the first gen 06-11 )  are produced with ONE fan on ONE side of the radiator?  Connie's have dual fans and with the ZX14 curb weight at 525 wet, it wouldn't exacltly cringe at an added pound or 2 :nono:

I picked up a couple spare fans over a year ago to add a 2nd one on mine, just never pulled the radiator to mock up a bracket for it.  I stay away from town as much as I can though, so engine heat isn't much of an issue for me usually