Yamaha FJ09 coming

Al Z. Heimer

Who would want that motor in a big heavy touring bike? What a dog.... I don't see that selling well over the fjr1300

I doubt it will be big and heavy.  I am guessing under 500 lbs wet, which would be lighter and more hp than a VFR800.

Who would want that motor in a big heavy touring bike? What a dog.... I don't see that selling well over the fjr1300

It might.Probably the biggest complaint FJR riders have about the FJR1300 is the weight.If Yamaha can bring the FJ-09 in under 500 lbs,they might have a winner.

It has piqued  the interest of a lot of FJR riders...including myself.It has definitely put on hold the possibility of buying a FZ-O9.I bought a 2013 FJR last year so I'm just going to sit back and see what happens with this FJ news.

That is assuming they put the motor in a platform like the FJ1300. I would more expect it would be closer to an FZ-09 with fairing and bags.

Most of the rest of the world does not necessarily associate a touring bike with an 800+ pound couch on wheels.

Given that mid range touring bikes like the Vstrom, NC700 and BMW F800 are selling pretty well this make sense.

Ofcourse we know nothing about the bike yet so its hard to say.

Craig

• Upvote 1

That is assuming they put the motor in a platform like the FJ1300. I would more expect it would be closer to an FZ-09 with fairing and bags.

Most of the rest of the world does not necessarily associate a touring bike with an 800+ pound couch on wheels.

Given that mid range touring bikes like the Vstrom, NC700 and BMW F800 are selling pretty well this make sense.

Ofcourse we know nothing about the bike yet so its hard to say.

Craig

And many would venture to say, that the BMW 1200GS might very well be the best all touring bike available. The more that riders are starting to discover the ADV style bikes like the Tigers/Stroms/GS/Tenere/KTM Adventure/Moto Guzzi Stelvio....etc, they are quickly seeing how amazingly comfortable and sporty they are for distance riding and seriously exploring. 

And many would venture to say, that the BMW 1200GS might very well be the best all touring bike available. The more that riders are starting to discover the ADV style bikes like the Tigers/Stroms/GS/Tenere/KTM Adventure/Moto Guzzi Stelvio....etc, they are quickly seeing how amazingly comfortable and sporty they are for distance riding and seriously exploring.

The proof of this statement is on the Iron Butt Associations website. The BMW 1200GS is a common bike on their rallies. I ride with a couple of guys that have them, and was surprised at how sporty they could handle those bikes, and we were weighted down with camping gear.

The new ADV bikes are no joke for all around touring.