Getting a title from bill of sale.

ridenaked

Not sure if it's different for a dirtbike, but for a street bike it isn't even worth trying.

Yep.  I was going to say "virtually impossible."  At least in Ohio.

Other states have more permissive title laws.  If you have a friend or relative in one of those states, and you trust that person not to screw you, it can be done.

In simple terms, you would have to find a state that will issue a title from a bill of sale, and then 'sell' to someone in that state.  they would get the title issued to them, and then sell it back to you for the same price.  Then you're just going to need a VIN inspection to transfer an out-of-state title.

If you want to get the  bike street-legal, then you also need a vechile inspection, to prove that it has a horn, brake and head lights, turn signals, etc.  But all that would come after the title transfer steps above.

It's also worth noting that different people at the BMV have different opinions on certain things..

I know i have seen situations where one person at one location wouldn't accept something, but another person at another title agency accepted it without issue. 

The above is all Ive found also. Almost Impossible to do. though a few lucky people have gotten them to go through. I even got the VIN cleared as not stolen and I still couldn't get them to do it. which makes no sense because they would receive more money from me if I could. 

Sounds like a pain in the ass any one know states that are easy. Maybe PA???

Don't have any experience but guessing with their inspection situation it's even harder there. I could be totally off base though

• 1 month later...

If you want to get the  bike street-legal, then you also need a vechile inspection, to prove that it has a horn, brake and head lights, turn signals, etc.  But all that would come after the title transfer steps above.

Wrong. There is no inspection. You simply sign a form at the bmv saying you did those things. They do not inspect. I've done this to every off road bike I've ever owned. Just did again last week to both my OMRL bikes as well. They inspect nothing, they just have you sign the paper.

As for title. You go to your county court house and provide copies of the bill of sale and a statement as to why you need a title issued ie lost, mechanics lien, never been titled etc with a petition for title form and wait about 30 days. The court verifies receipt or bill of sale and vin history. If clean and valid reasoning they issue you a form to take to bmv along with a vin inspection form to get title. As long as not stolen and they find no objection from previous registered owner, if any, you will get title. Just takes 30-45 days and fees.

well according to that link there a notarized bill of sale is all you would need. that seems easy enough

I'll tell you one thing for sure - that notarized bill of sale cannot be from an Ohio resident.  They will insist another Ohio resident titles the bike before selling it.

Basically, suckers who buy bikes without titles in Ohio get stuck with them until they find another sucker to dump it on.

I'll tell you one thing for sure - that notarized bill of sale cannot be from an Ohio resident. They will insist another Ohio resident titles the bike before selling it.

Basically, suckers who buy bikes without titles in Ohio get stuck with them until they find another sucker to dump it on.

Street bike maybe. Dirtbikes are a different story. I just did one. Took an hour.

you should explain more in depth of the process of what you did for future reference  

I posted the link with the required info. 

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling_apv_usv.stm

All-Purpose Vehicles (APVs), Off-Road Motorcycles, and Snowmobiles

Listed below are acceptable types of evidence that may be used by the Clerk of Courts of Common Pleas Title Offices for title issuance on APVs and Off-Road Motorcycles.

One of the following:
Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin or Importer's Certificate of Origin;
Another jurisdiction's certificate of title in applicant's name, or assigned to Ohio resident;
A current or expired registration issued by Ohio or any other jurisdiction;
A notarized bill of sale;
A current insurance policy or declaration page that describes the vehicle by vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make, model, and issued to the applicant in this or another state;
A warranty order in applicant's name that describes the vehicle by VIN, year, make, and model;
A security agreement that lists the owner, lender, VIN, year, and make.

Two or more of the following:
A required out-of-state inspection obtained from a Deputy Registrar license agency;
A sworn, notarized affidavit declaring ownership of the vehicle by the applicant;
A sworn, notarized affidavit by other persons attesting to applicant's ownership;
Receipts in applicant's name from the purchase of parts or components;
Photographs and or pencil tracings of the VIN.

• 3 weeks later...

I had success with this just today.

I have had an 85 Yamaha IT200 for probably 12 years. Went to the local title office (Mt. Gilead) with a picture of the VIN. I had to sign an affidavit and since the bike had never been titled, they issued me one on the spot. Note that I have tried this in Delaware county and they told me "no chance". At least now I have to option to ride at Wayne and eventually sell it and have a title.

The value of the bike is only about $400 so it isn't a big deal, but I feel better having one.