Hey! Introduction time!

MHarrisEP

Hey, guys.  I was doing some research on riding in the Columbus area, and it turns out I made an account on this forum about a year ago.

The basics:  I'm 22, I ride a 2006 GSX-R 750.  I currently live in the sticks, but in very close proximity to some of the best twisties in the state!  So, I'm very used to riding alone or with only a few people, and hitting some curvy roads at a spirited pace.  Plus, my tires are too soft and too pricey to waste any time riding in a straight line.  :lol:

Anyways, I'll be moving to the Columbus area (most likely Dublin or Hilliard) in late May or early June.  From what I see on the interwebz, it seems like a lot of riding in bigger cities involves hooning around on city streets.  I'm really hoping that there is more to it than that!

So, I came here in hopes of finding a few people that might be familiar with some good twisties to hit that aren't too far from where I'll be living.  It's always good to know some local riders who can show you the ropes!  Otherwise, I guess I'll just be exploring for a few weeks.  :dirtbike2:

• Upvote 1

Bienvenidos. Living in the city farther from the twisties may get you out of those soft expensive tires and in to some PR2's or PR3's which are every bit as capable for the street

Bienvenidos. Living in the city farther from the twisties may get you out of those soft expensive tires and in to some PR2's or PR3's which are every bit as capable for the street

This. And what is this "hooning" you speak of?

Not many twisties in C-bus town. I live in Hilliard and the upper part of Riverside near the zoo is okay but there's not much. So, it's off to parts northeast or southeast for anything interesting.

Oh, and Welcome!!

Edited by DAC

Thanks for the warm welcome!  With my style of riding, I never wanted to risk it on PR2 or PR3's.  I've heard good things and all, it's just that I learned to ride on Battlax's and have stuck with them, so soft tires are all I know.  I fear that if I switched to a PR2 or 3, I might try to take a corner at 100+ and wash out.  That wouldn't be my idea of a fun afternoon, hahaha.  100+ around a corner is few and far between, but I'll admit it happens from time to time.  But, maybe PR's could handle that and I don't give them enough credit.  I'm willing to take some advice on that subject!

How long of a ride from Hilliard before you get to some interesting roads?  As long as it's maybe 20 minutes or so, I'd be fine with that to get my weekly fix of an exciting ride.

As far as "hooning", I just mean all the videos I see online of people in cities just doing wheelies and acting like asses, that kind of stuff.  It seems like there's not much else to do in a city, as far as riding goes.  So, I'm just looking to get some insight onto what roads in the greater Columbus area I might find a few miles of good turns on.

Thanks for the warm welcome!  With my style of riding, I never wanted to risk it on PR2 or PR3's.  I've heard good things and all, it's just that I learned to ride on Battlax's and have stuck with them, so soft tires are all I know.  I fear that if I switched to a PR2 or 3, I might try to take a corner at 100+ and wash out.  That wouldn't be my idea of a fun afternoon, hahaha.  100+ around a corner is few and far between, but I'll admit it happens from time to time.  But, maybe PR's could handle that and I don't give them enough credit.  I'm willing to take some advice on that subject!

How long of a ride from Hilliard before you get to some interesting roads?  As long as it's maybe 20 minutes or so, I'd be fine with that to get my weekly fix of an exciting ride.

As far as "hooning", I just mean all the videos I see online of people in cities just doing wheelies and acting like asses, that kind of stuff.  It seems like there's not much else to do in a city, as far as riding goes.  So, I'm just looking to get some insight onto what roads in the greater Columbus area I might find a few miles of good turns on.

Got it.  Could have googled the word - too lazy.

You're in for 45min. to an hour of slab to get to twisties, friend, depending on how much you want to risk an encounter with the state gendarmerie.  Like I said, though, not much in the central area to play on.  Especially if you want to do 100mph in turns.  Out in the countryside, you'll be riding over my level, so I'll see ya at the next stop.

Speed safely and welcome once again.

I've got PR2's on my SV1000S, and I had PR3's on my Ninja 650R, and I've never come near their limits on either bike. And thats with numerous triple digit corner exit speeds, at least on the backroads of Iowa. I know I'm not pulling 100 on some of the roads southwest of Marysville that I've ridden so far.

Do you do any track riding? Sounds like it may be a  good place to get your kicks on the GSXR.

As far as the city is concerned, the best way I've found to make that fun is to ride a little bike. I've owned several Ninja 250's and some smaller dual sports, and they let you bring the fun down to much more attainable speeds in the city.

Justin

always nice to see new members.

As for tires, I wouldn't worry too much about mounting up less expensive, longer-lasting rubber.  That was one of the biggest surprises when I went to the track - just how good BT45 "sport touring" tires were.

Street/track tires are also pretty amazing these days.  I have run Michelin Power Pures, and Dunlop Q2's at similar pace.  I actually went faster on the Q2's, but I won't get into that.

Sounds like you're hot shit. Do any track riding?

I'm definitely not hot shit!  :bikefall: This'll be my 4th season riding, and I've had my encounters with riding above my limits (ask me why my bike is a street fighter!).  I guess I just wanted to define my riding style off the bat, as I've been in talks with other sport bike riders before, only to meet up and them literally say they want to go hunting for long straight roads. :lol:

But, no!  No track riding.  I'm just about to graduate college, so I never had the money for it.  But, I'd love to get on the track.  It's definitely something I'll be looking into.  If there's guys on here local to Columbus who do track days, I'd love to get advice and maybe a little starters guide for what to do to get into track riding.

Edited by MHarrisEP

I'm definitely not hot shit!  :bikefall: This'll be my 4th season riding, and I've had my encounters with riding above my limits (ask me why my bike is a street fighter!).  I guess I just wanted to define my riding style off the bat, as I've been in talks with other sport bike riders before, only to meet up and them literally say they want to go hunting for long straight roads. :lol:

But, no!  No track riding.  I'm just about to graduate college, so I never had the money for it.  But, I'd love to get on the track.  It's definitely something I'll be looking into.  If there's guys on here local to Columbus who do track days, I'd love to get advice and maybe a little starters guide for what to do to get into track riding.

Check out the Track Days / Road Racing subforum here......plethra of info there.  Track time will teach you more than ANYTHING else, so post up and ask away!