Lost my edc knife

speedytriple

So somehow i lost my edc pocket knife, it was a sog flash 2 knife. I just saw that woot has the kershaw leek on sale. I ordered a combo blade model in black for over 50% off. I hope it is as good as the other kershaw i have.

Edited by speedytriple

Benchmade stuff is overpriced, IMO.  I'd like to have one but I'm not paying $100+ for an EDC.

Woot has the same Kershaw knife I use for EDC, just in a black finish now.  Inexpensive and last a long time.  Kershaw has also started offering resharpening again which is nice.

http://www.woot.com/offers/kershaw-ken-onion-leek-knife-w-speed-safe?ref=cnt_dly_tl

I have two of the Kershaw Leek knives. I like them, they make for a nice intermediate sized blade. The spring assist opening is a nice feature also.

Same here.  I have one that I EDC, and another that sits in the toolbox for when this one gets dull and I need it in a pinch, as happened Friday.  

I really didn't like the way that the speedsafe worked on either one when I first got them, but the oldest one broke (that's how I ended up with a second) so I sent it in for repairs and it came back working perfectly.  Now I need to break the other one (or just send it in anyway) to have it working as well as the first.  LOL

Not the kershaw leek, that was the crkt pazoda I bought a bunch of those to give away to people. The crkt is ok but is cheap steel and needs sharpened all the time. 

I've never sharpened mine and it still holds a pretty solid edge.  Granted I don't use it daily, really probably 1-2 times a week, but I was actually wondering how long the edge would last if I did use it more.

I've been wondering about these Leeks, but I also bought the Kershaw 1 ton from Cabelas for like 10 bucks a few months ago, and I always buy 2 of everything knife related, so I don't think I will need anything anytime soon. 

But that price on the Leek is pretty solid.  It does look a tad thinner then I would like though I think.  

Not the kershaw leek, that was the crkt pazoda I bought a bunch of those to give away to people. The crkt is ok but is cheap steel and needs sharpened all the time. 

I picked up one of the CRKT's as well.  I haven't used it.  I actually got it to give as a gift, but ended up getting something else, I think.  I don't think I would have it as a EDC, since I would REALLY miss the speedsafe opening of the Kershaw.

The leek does look thin, but i don't use my knifes to pry things so i should be fine with it. I hope it holds a edge, i like my knives to be hair removal sharp at all times. I will write a quick review when i get it in.

The Leek seems to do pretty good at holding an edge.  Most other cheaper knives that I've had required a touch up on the sharpening almost weekly.  I go MUCH longer with the Leek.  Which reminds me, I need to sharpen the one that I carry!  

That said, what does everyone use to sharpen?  (Ugh, another oil, tire, gun lube, etc... question!)

The CRKT that I ordered is junk in my opinion, blade very seldom actually locks open and was not very impressed with the steel that it is made out of. As someone else mentioned it seems like it needs sharpened way to often. But biggest complaint is definitely the failure to lock open and stay locked open.

The Leek seems to do pretty good at holding an edge.  Most other cheaper knives that I've had required a touch up on the sharpening almost weekly.  I go MUCH longer with the Leek.  Which reminds me, I need to sharpen the one that I carry!  

That said, what does everyone use to sharpen?  (Ugh, another oil, tire, gun lube, etc... question!)

I was JUST going to ask that exact question.  I have a Wusthof dual sharpener but was wondering.  Our fraternity chef used to use a multi stone process, with the lube and everything.  I remember he sharpened the knives one day and I took one to cut up something, he goes be careful I just worked those.  Next thing I knew, I was balls deep in my finger.  Bleeding all over the kitchen, it was nice.  Okay not really, I had to drink even more that night to make the pain go away.

But for real curious about sharpening. 

I use 800 grit wet sand paper on a 2x4 and strop the blade  to finish mine. I have one of the ceramic pull through sharpeners that I use to help smooth the edge out then finish by had on the wet paper. 

No kidding?  I have all of that at home, think I'll give it a whirl tonight just for fun. 

I was JUST going to ask that exact question. I have a Wusthof dual sharpener but was wondering. Our fraternity chef used to use a multi stone process, with the lube and everything. I remember he sharpened the knives one day and I took one to cut up something, he goes be careful I just worked those. Next thing I knew, I was balls deep in my finger. Bleeding all over the kitchen, it was nice. Okay not really, I had to drink even more that night to make the pain go away.

But for real curious about sharpening.

Fraternity chef? :rolleyes:

Oh GAWD!