Two days at Mid-Ohio

lowcel

Thank you for the very humbling words regarding my coaching- it makes it worth it every time! Remember , without you guys, coaches wouldn't have anything to do!

I didn't learn about this forum until tonight, however to clear up- my name is Pat- and yes, the bike is very multiple colored, lol. Plasti-dip colors are limited! Lol.

Please know I won't have old faithful van this event, going to country club it in an actual motor home, however can't miss my bike right? Bruce and the others, please feel free to point me out if anyone has any questions at all. Not only encourage it, I expect it of all of you! Lol. That's why we are there- all track days can be daunting at first.

I promise to do my best to get an answer for any question and if you can't find me, simply ask Malokar (me clean I saw, lol.) to be in my group, no problem. Usually I have group 2 but depends on what Todd assigns us-

I only do have to say that compared to what I have seen recently at STT events, Mid o PTR is much more relaxed and friendly a atmosphere. Just personal opinion.

Again, I appreciate with great humility all the kind words and truly will do my best to help everyone that asks...

See you all Monday!

(And I am fat and slow...just get lucky every now and then and hit the throttle instead of brake I guess, fellas!)

• 1 month later...

I ran C Superstock Novice. I started in the last row by myself and finished 22nd out of 27. I turned a 1:46.9 which is two seconds faster than my best lap ever so I'm really happy. I'll be racing again today.

I ran C Superstock Novice. I started in the last row by myself and finished 22nd out of 27. I turned a 1:46.9 which is two seconds faster than my best lap ever so I'm really happy. I'll be racing again today.

Congratulations.  A finish is a finish, and setting personal bests is always fun.

In a few years, I'm sure you'll look back on this thread and smile.  For the vast majority of us, we're never going to be standing on the podium, so the race is really against ourselves.  I remember pushing to break 2:00 my first time at Mid-Ohio, and then being accused of "slumming it" in Intermediate years later while turning 1:39's with AMA pros on the track breaking 1:30 in Advanced! 

One person ran a 1:29 yesterday. I can't imagine going that fast.

Three fastest lap times were two superbike racers Cassidy and Babuska.  Both :29s.  Matt Carr on a stock 1199S with only a slip-on and armor race plastics turned a 30.7.  That's haulin ass...

So, two guys in mid 29s and one guy in mid 30 on a stock bike... 

• Upvote 1

Three fastest lap times were two superbike racers Cassidy and Babuska. Both :29s. Matt Carr on a stock 1199S with only a slip-on and armor race plastics turned a 30.7. That's haulin ass...

So, two guys in mid 29s and one guy in mid 30 on a stock bike...

Plus a 16 year old on an R6 turned a 31.

To think, I'm excited as hell that I got some 46's. :(

Edited by lowcel

Plus a 16 year old on an R6 turned a 31.

To think, I'm excited as hell that I got some 46's. :(

It all comes around, man.  Don't take track day times into consideration from anyone.  Hand timing is terrible unless a pro person doing it and unless it is on MyLaps?  Don't take it too seriously.  Get to the track and work on segments.  I can promise you that if you work on the carousel and keyhole, I can get you down to :40 easy.  After that, it gets really hard.  :36-:39s are easy to do in most cases.  It's the :35s and lower that starts to become very difficult to surpass, but you are working that direction. 

The issue is the track is never the same each day to day. 

Be excited.  You are in now and can work forward.  You just need to get with some people that can help and you'll be amazed.

If you're ready to start spending more money on tires, got a generator and warmers, then go ahead and do it. If you are racing, race tires will help your times. Can you go way faster than you are now on Q3's? Absolutely. But it will probably do you more good in the mental game than anything to run DOT's. Trusting your tires is one way to go faster for sure.

Just my .02, and prepared to hear others tell you something different.

If you're ready to start spending more money on tires, got a generator and warmers, then go ahead and do it. If you are racing, race tires will help your times. Can you go way faster than you are now on Q3's? Absolutely. But it will probably do you more good in the mental game than anything to run DOT's. Trusting your tires is one way to go faster for sure.

Just my .02, and prepared to hear others tell you something different.

This is about it, most cases people will tend to drop 2 seconds on the switch just from the added confidence. 

The Q3 is a very capable tire. Your riding style has as much if not more to do with answering that question than lap times do.

Style? I'm pretty sure I have no "style". Have you seen my ugly ass red power ranger suit???